“Cozy, charming & fun”
Review of Goose & Gander

Goose & Gander
Reserve with OpenTable
Goose & Gander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I probably wouldn't have discovered this place if it weren't for a friend who brought me here. I loved the clubby, dark woods, fireplace and outdoor space of the restaurant. They offer a nice selection of artisan cocktails and a good wine list. I loved my dish, a delicacy of pork.

1  Thank InternationalGal

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I went here after a recommendation from an employee at Turnbull Winery. I don't think I heard much else about his favorite dishes once he told us Goose & Gander has french fries deep fried in duck fat!
We had dinner reservations somewhere else later in the evening but since we were on vacation we decided we'd indulge. We sat down in the basement bar. Very nice ambiance. Dark and cozy. We ordered some Gorgonzola stuffed dates and of course the Duck fat fries.The dates were a nice combination of sweet and salty. The duck fat fries? Simply the best fries I've eaten. Warm, crispy, not too salty and even though you may think they would be, not greasy. My only question is, Why were they served with ketchup? They certainly did not need anything. I read a review where someone stated that they thought the fries were just okay and that they tasted like fries deep fried in vegetable oil. I can only say that if you can't tell the difference, then something is wrong with your taste buds and you shouldn't be wasting your time eating at quality restaurants.
Because of the tasty fries and dates, we returned a couple of days later to eat lunch. This time we sat in the cozy dining room and ordered and shared the Smoked Corn Croquettes, Braised Pork Shoulder-(Choucroute of Brussels sprouts & sauerkraut, bacon, pinenuts, & apple~celery salad), both appetizers and the The G&G Burger (Grass fed beef, gruyere cheese, house smoked bacon, & duck fat fries).
The croquettes were yummy, the braised pork shoulder was fall apart tender and tasty, but the burger stole the show. The meat was flavorful and the bun was wonderfully soft but didn't fall apart. Our server was prompt and very nice. He made some good wine recommendations and let us sample wine and beer.
We will absolutely return on our next trip to the Napa Valley!

1  Thank 73Lulu79
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Last night my wife and I decided to give the dining room at Goose & Gander a try. We have had many a more casual meal downstairs in what is no doubt the most popular bar in St. Helena, but the upstairs is so beautifully decorated we wanted to try that as well. Alex was our waiter, and what a kick. He immediately recognized that we were there to have fun and joined in. Radishes with black sea salt? Really? Deep-fried olives and pistachios? We decided to try them both. Both were amazing. Next my wife had an excellent arugula salad and for something green I had the jalapeno poppers. OK, so they weren't so green, but they WERE oh so good. By far the best poppers I have ever had (oh and her salad was good too). Then for the main course my wife had the Walu (sp?) which is a fish we discovered recently and thought it might just be the next Chilean Sea Bass, flaky and moist and oh so delicious. I had the small plate of scallops and OMG, even though the Walu was exceptional, my scallops were the winner of the evening. True, there were only two small scallops (it was an appetizer) but the flavors and richness of the dish satiated me so that I didn't order another small plate (which I often do when just playing around with a menu). We decided to try one of their desserts (we normally skip dessert) and it was some chocolate thing with coffee ice cream. Now this might sound strange, but we judge a dessert by how little we can eat of it and still feel decedent. It was so rich and yummy that we each savored our second bite until the check came and went. Excellent, excellent.

1  Thank James S
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This review is for the downstairs bar only...

We really liked the cozy & dark subterranean wine bar feel. We saddled up to the bar and received a warm and sincere greeting. The drinks menu was creative and our cocktails were good. But, then service became problematic.

Both bartenders started shaving & chopping "Giant" ice cubes to fit inside their cocktail glassware. It was kind of hypnotizing at first to watch, but lasted far too long. The constant hacking was loud and distracting. They were quite intent in task, which is a probably good thing as we imagined a mistake would have been pretty horrific and gruesome (and especially as only one of them wore gloves!) But, this lead to the problem... Once they started chopping away, it was nearly impossible to get their attention to order a second drink or even get the bill. Can't they do this activity during their prep-time instead my cocktail hour?

But, given the many good food reviews here and from friends, maybe we'll try dinner at the tables next time and avoid the bar seats.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

What a delightful dining experience at the Goose and Gander. It's charming atmostphere draws you in and sets the tone for cozy and comfortable dining. The cream of mushroon soup was rich and flavorful, I loved the hint of wild mushroom in each spoonful. The grilled flat iron steak was done perfectly- very tender, served over an easy bed of lentils and spinach, topped with two crisp onion rings. A very satisfying meal. I would highly recommend and return to on my next visit to the Napa Valley area.

1  Thank tomato57