“Perfectly Portioned Plates that Pack a Punch”
Review of Goose & Gander

Goose & Gander
Reserve with OpenTable
Goose & Gander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Goose and Gander, St. Helena, Napa Valley, California
Perfectly Portioned Plates that Pack a Punch
By @DesireeUES

Trust Fund Traveler: Approved!

If you can find this place (it’s tucked behind a grocery store), it’s more than worth the wander. Park at the strip mall, take a questionable stroll down the darkened sidewalk, and you’ll find Goose and Gander nestled like a shining ruby in a crown of thorns. Through the gates you will discover a lush garden flickering with golden bistro lights and intimate tables. Inside the adorable house is a comfortable, upscale pub-like surround. Downstairs is a super cool and clubby cocktail bar serving creative and luscious libations.

The menu consists of four sections: bar bites, appetizers, salads, and entrées. My dining companion and I opted to order off the first three sections of the menu, foregoing entrées. We ordered about twelve different selections, so I have a good gauge of the food. Wow! Their perfectly portioned plates pack a punch. I highly recommend the seared scallops, served over fried green tomatoes with crispy pancetta. The savory dish is pulled together with an avocado crème and a deliciously spicy jalapeno-cilantro sauce.

Goose and Gander’s website claims it serves rustic American classic food. That description is like calling Kim Kardashian the “girl next door.” Goose and Gander has serious food, and this isn’t your typical gastro-pub experience. You’ll find wildly interesting combinations of ingredients in this cuisine, complete with robust layers of flavors and technique. Chef Kelly McCown isn’t shy about putting ingredients on a plate, and if I had to nitpick, I’d say some of the dishes could use a little editing. But don’t get me wrong - I was blown away by this place.

In addition to its mouth-watering food, charming staff, and insane wine list, Goose and Gander is unbelievably inexpensive (our food bill was about $135). I’d pay double and still be thrilled.

Head on over to Goose and Gander, grab a Scarlett Gander signature cocktail, and try the bone marrow. Trust me.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Didn't know about this place because it is new, but it was highly recommended by the innkeeper at the Ink House where we were staying. We went early to have a drink in the stone basement bar before dinner -- all I can say is that it was like a scene out of the Tom Cruise/Bryan Brown bartender movie. With two professional mixologists creating great drinks I'm not sure all what we had but it was a fantastic time and experience. Plus dinner at the restaurant was top notch as well! This is the place to go in sleepy St. Helena when you've still got some energy to burn after a long day of wine tasting!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stopped by for drinks and loved this place great bar on the lower level with an excellent Bartending staff. Will make sure we have dinner here next time we wre in St Helena

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Did not dine inside. But on the walk through, enjoyed the decor. Not busy at all. But arrived very late lunch hour. We had a large party...and enjoyed the outdoor dining experience. Lovely courtyard.
Cheese platter was enough for the entire group. Tried the fried green tomatoes. Yum. A lil remoulade sauce might have been tasty. Everyone was very satisfied. Would def. try again.

1  Thank back2mac09
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a loud mouth Italian at the table next to us (the tables are very close) which didn't help but the service was worse than slow and the food poor. We were sat down then waited ages before a waiter came near us then she left half way through giving her our order. Water eventually came, wine some time later and food even later. None of it was worth the wait.

1  Thank Peter4006