“Bait and switched!”

Napa Valley Wine Excursions Tours
Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in St. Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: Napa Valley Wine Excursions specializes in custom wine tours in the Napa Valley guided by a Napa native. As the owner of Napa Valley Wine Excursions, it is my pleasure to create a unique wine tour experience for you that only a Napa native can provide. Having lived here my entire life, I have been fortunate enough to have established strong relationships with many of the most exclusive wineries in the Valley. With a background in the wine industry as well, I am equipped to create an experience for you that will give you a true taste of what the Napa Valley has to offer. Your day can include visits to the vineyards, caves, and tasting rooms of Napa's most famous wineries. In addition, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the novelty of exceptional wines in the cellars and homes of family-owned, boutique wineries.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a really infuriating experience with this company. This is a private WINE tour of NAPA valley which should have been a wonderful day and we ended it very irritated and disgusted. We had spoken to Paul Bailey several times and expected a lovely experience with a knowledgable and skilled guide, which Paul Bailey may be. We got a substitute instead who knew nothing about wine from Napa or anywhere else and who seemed to know nothing about the history of the area and how the valley developed and grew into the wine region it is now. Our first stop was Carneros; he had no idea who Tattinger even was. He was unfamiliar with the other wineries in the area. He knew nothing about the "Judgment at Paris".....an event which seems pivotal for the whole Napa valley region....and American wines in general.
We had an even worse experience at the O'Brien vineyard (one of our four stops during the day)....the gentleman conducting the extremely rushed winery "spiel" there appeared to have imbibed heavily before we arrived & he clumped us in with a group who had already begun a tour before we arrived. That was not our expectation and we went to the bathroom when we first arrived....he met us at the bathroom door with a glass of wine that we needed to "catch us up" with the group already begun....we never got any information on that glass at all and he hurried us thru a couple more. He even SAID he had to hurry us along because he "had a tour starting soon". It was awful; it was totally disrespectful to any visitor of the winery. Since we were only visiting four wineries, we expected that there would have been more due diligence on the ones selected, especially since we had put NO restrictions on the selection process. Our driver attempted to pacify us by then taking us to another winery which he knew really nothing about except that his mother likes it.
It seems reasonable to expect that anyone giving a private tour of a wine region, especially one with such a rich heritage and vineyard density, should be functionally knowledgable about wine in general and certainly the wines and history of the regional vineyards. Perhaps Paul Bailey has that.....he seemed to according to the reviews we read in advance......but it is inexcusable to stick in a sub who knows less than any complete stranger to the region would know. We would never recommend this company or this experience.

15  Thank VLCJfs

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My bucket-list trip to Napa with my foodie son ended with a beautiful, memorable day with Paul Bailey. He had an amazing day planned which included 4 incredible wineries with very personalized service at each and a picnic lunch. Then he expertly chauffeured us through the winding hills to Muir Woods where we saw the beautiful California redwoods. Off to Sausilito for a delicious crab dinner on the water and then to the San Francisco airport for a red-eye back to the East Coast. Our last day in Napa was absolutely incredible! And all the photos he took along the way will make those memories last.
You get more than just a driver when you take a tour with Paul. He is very personable, knowledgeable about the area and the wineries, can answer just about any question and knows Napa and the area like the back of his hand. And he's adorable too! His Suburban is comfortable and clean. I highly recommend him and can't wait to return. Having all five-star reviews on TripAdvisor is pretty impressive and Paul deserves every one of them.

1  Thank Edrn1
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been to Napa a few times but this time around I was planning a trip with my mom, sister and a friend. They had never been to Napa and I wanted to make sure the trip was extra special. Paul came highly recommended to me by a friend who used to do tours in Napa but is currently traveling the world. Paul was great communicating before the trip to find out what our personal tastes were and what kind of wines we liked. It also helped that Paul was from Napa which meant that he could provide us with a detailed history of the wineries in the area in addition to the wineries we were visiting.

The wineries we visited were excellent, very small appointment only places where you get a lot of personal attention. Paul also helped us pick out lunch items at the grocery store so we could have a picnic at one of the wineries. One of our last stops was at the home of a winery owner and it was fun to sit at the table in their house and enjoy great wine.

As if that wasn't enough Paul also took photos of us (which was included!) so we didn't have to worry about messing with our cameras while touring the wineries.

I would definitely use Napa Valley Wine Excursions again when I return to Napa!

3  Thank heatherita711
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was my first time visiting Napa and Sonoma. It was our annual girls trip AND we were celebrating a bachelorette party the day we scheduled with Paul at Napa Valley Wine Excursions. Our driver, Charlie, was so awesome! He took us to some amazing wineries, was funny and relaxed and even made a special pit stop to pick up some coffee when it was clear we were dragging a little bit from the first day of our trip doing bike tour of Sonoma. And he did very well with 5 girls being a little silly celebrating a bachelorette party!

Paul was SO responsive from the get go on our inquiries of booking with them, which made it no question for us to choose them, and we're so glad we did. I will be holding on to their number for referrals to my friends and family when they visit and will likely book them again next time I head back!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been to Napa a number of times. I have had a number of drivers. From now on, it's Paul's company every time. Every Napa driver will claim he can take you to special places, but most simply take you where their palm is being greased. Paul, having grown up in Napa, knows the valley and knows where people should go for an "old Napa" experience. That's where he will take you. With over 500 wineries in Napa, it's tough to figure these things out on your own. You can't trust the internet because the untrained pallette will rave about a spot I wouldn't take my dog to drink. You need a pro.

We went to four small production spots: sat down with the winemaker/owner in two spots, with trusted associates in the other two spots. Magnificent. We made friends, exchanged emails, did a little commerce, and had a fantastic time. Most important, the wine was top notch in each place.

Also, Paul now has a great fellow working with him. Gary. Paul set up our day, Gary drove. Gary is awesome. Old-time Napa guy, friendly, wine-smart, and generally fun to spend the day with. Gary is now a friend. That's the kind of place this is.

1  Thank AZTouristx2