“Quaint, exceptionally clean, great quality to price!”

Vineyard Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Read all the reviews on Tripadvisor first and was a little nervous based upon the last review. I have to say I respectly disagree with the general assessment of the property. My wife and I really like it and thought it was a strong above average stay. Not 5 star luxury but I healthy 4 star inn and very good quality for the price. Reserved a room last minute Room 114, which was fairly close to the roadside. No problem with roadside noise at all! In fact, I could barely hear a low hum and it was the best sleep I've had for a while. First impressions. Quaint in a well maintained way, seemed obviously that care has been put into gardens/grounds. My wife and I were very impressed the well manicured gardens surrounding the outsides of the rooms. All types of neat, green shrubbery, which was a nice touch. The room itself was fairly spacious. Front den with a fireplace and the back room was a single king sized bed. Inside decor was inn like, but all the fixtures seemed very clean and almost new/well maintained. Bathroom was very clean- indeed better than most Marriots I've been too with the nice soaps! The host was very polite and helpful. Also, had a free wine tasting care of V. Sattui, which is the famous winery just down the road. Pool is a small one, but perfect for relaxation (not lap swimming) surrounding by greenery. Bottom line, I would recommend without hesitation!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank badwplants

Reviewed February 20, 2006

After reading reviews, I was careful to request a room in the back so as to avoid noise. Upon checking in, we were led to a room right on the road; when I objected, I was told that nothing else was available. When I said I had requested a room at the back, the receptionist said, "This is the back, away from the office." Great. The room itself was okay, although a little the worse for wear: marks on the walls, scruffy lamp shades and such. But the road noise was incredible, all night, and the headlights came right in our french doors, one of which only had a lace curtain to cover it. I've spent better nights camping out. There was no way we were going to stay the four nights we had planned. When we spoke to the manager the next morning, he said we must be light sleepers, etc. To his credit, he did comp us the room, but I'm sure we're not the first who have complained about this. His response was that this inn is a "roadside business" and that's what comes with the territory. We went down to the Yountville Inn, which was lovely, comfortable and quiet. Besides the noise issue, which is BIG, the inn seems to have concentrated its decorating/maintenance efforts on the public areas and let the rooms go a bit. Buyer beware!

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank centralcoastlove
Reviewed January 11, 2006

We stayed here on a whim. We were not enjoying our stay in Tahoe so we left early and took a detour to Saint Helena on our way to San Francisco. As it was off season we took a suite/cottage for $170 or about £100. The living area and bedroom were lovely and the log fire was a welcome touch during our winter break. As it was December we did not use the pool, but it looked very inviting. It was quiet and relaxing. The breakfast was lovely and they were very helpful and pleasant poeple. We ate at Tre Vigne just a short walk away - wonderful fish. We also treated ourselves to dinner at Domaine Chandon in Yountville. I reccommend thier sampler menu and fabulous sparkling wines. Pricey but worth it. Please visit Robert Mondavi winery, the Chardonnay is superb.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank LEllis
Reviewed November 6, 2005

I should have known. The website for this "inn" references other sister properties - all of which were motels. This was simply a high end motel. Overpriced at $300 a night, the complimentary bottle of wine had turned to vinegar. The bed was average, the furniture was old & well worn. Breakfast was terrible - a contintenal style with just the bare minimum to qualify as such - and a single working toaster for all guests to share. No one helped with our bags, no one asked how our stay was, no one really cared if we were enjoying ourselves or not.

I would definitely not recommend this motel.

7  Thank FalmouthTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2005

We thought the inn was beautiful and easy to find. The breakfast is wonderful and the fireplaces are very cozy. We liked the charm, but were very disappointed that the swimming pool and spa were closed for 24 hours during our two day stay. We were so looking forward to a dip because it was so hot and were crushed to arrive back and find the pool would be closed for the rest of our stay. No one told us that would happpen (though it was a planned closure) and we were not offered a discount. The pool was one of the main reasons we chose to stay there. It is lovely, but for the price you pay, all advertised ammenities should be available, and if they are not, there should be compensation.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

We recently spent two nights at the Vineyard Country Inn. We took the advice of other reviewers and asked for a room in the back away from the traffic noise. Our second floor suite was a real treat. Beautiful view of the vineyards and the mountains from our balcony. Nice living room with a fireplace, which would be great if you were there at a cooler time of year. The staff was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations. The breakfast was excellent. We even enjoyed hanging out at the little pool.

We were worried about this Inn because of its Main Street location, but it is fairly quiet at night. It's just noisy during the day when everyone is on the road to wine tastings.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank BrooklineTraveler3
Reviewed May 11, 2005

Just returned from a stay May 7th 2005. We stayed in a suite. I expected the road traffic to be loud as our room was near the highway, however it was fine. The suite was very big and clean with a living room and fireplace. Great location to many nearby wineries. The breakfast in the morning was nice too. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2005
#2 of 12 in St. Helena
Shady Oaks Country Inn
Shady Oaks Country Inn
#6 of 12 in St. Helena

Been to Vineyard Country Inn? Share your experiences!