“Great stay!”

Ranked #6 of 13 St. Helena B&B and Inns
San Francisco, CA
“Great stay!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

A lovely stay! We stayed just one night at the Spanish Villa. The rooms were spacious, clean and I loved the outside patio. The patio was a great spot to have that night cap drink, staring at the stars. The staff was so accommodating. I asked if they could call us a cab to dinner but instead they offered to personally drive us to our dinner and pick us up once we were ready at no fee. Going above and beyond! I highly would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fstauffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Spanish Villa Inn for one night and boy were we pleasantly surprised. The place is beautiful, and kept very clean. The rooms are cozy, comfortable, and well-kept. We went in the heart of winter, so we really appreciated the indoor fireplaces and scenery outside. The grounds are gorgeous with lots of lawn space and fruit trees that we were invited to use at our leisure. Breakfast was simple and delicious. The innkeeper, Phil, took very good care of us and made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. His familiarty with the surrounding area was a great bonus as he was able to suggest some great wineries and restaurants for us. He was very friendly and we even spent some time in the Villa's Library Room with him playing piano together! We had a great time and would definitely recommend the Spanish Villa Inn to any couple looking for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the suite which was large and more private!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donna M
Sausalito
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Spanish Villa many times. If you are looking for a place thats walking distance to town this is not it. Two miles from town. No TV in your room, what a treat! Fabulous extended continental breakfast. Warm reception peaceful atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ajinsausalito
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is truly amazing. We arrived late after a tiring trip from the east coast (12 hours!). Phil, the inn manager, had left us a voicemail we didn't receive because as you drive closer to the mountains Verizon service is spotting (which is really a perfect way to enjoy wine). He wanted to make sure we were still arriving.

We checked into our room on the first floor, Merida, and Phil explained about the place, even inviting us to pick the fresh pomegranate and play piano!

He warned us that it might get a little hot in the room and we could open our door to the patio if this became the case. Let me explain this for everyone who ever complains about temperature. This inn is designed without individually temperature monitored spaces. That means, the central temperature sensor is in the common area, but the vents are in the rooms. Logically, that means the rooms will be hotter and the common areas colder. IF you have a problem with this, check into a chain hotel which offers individually controlled spaces. We did not have a problem at this Inn since it was beautiful outside, and cozy inside. Thank you Phil, for warning us, but it really made the experience more enjoyable not to wake up searching for blankets at night.

Phil even recommended a local brewery for dinner, less than 1 mile away, that would break up the large amount of wine we would taste. The Silverado Brewing Company has an amazing lamb burger and delicious local beers.

The next morning, I woke up early for a run. Breakfast isn't served until 7:30, and still being used to east coast time, I was up way before that. The run to Main Street is .95 miles, along 2 vineyards. Its the perfect way to wake up to a day of wine tasting. The Inn is not a walkable, noisy location. Instead, its a hide-away, a secret of Napa I would even call it. We even found it to be near the least crowded vineyards, which made for an even more relaxing stay.

The breakfast is delicious, carb-heavy (bagels, muffins, fresh fruit), and simple: exactly what you want when embarking on a day of wine tasting.

After breakfast, we wandered the grounds and took Phil up on picking the fresh fruit. Even in the colder brisk morning (November in CA), strolling with a cup of hot coffee (some of the best I've had) with my loved one, made for an amazing morning. The quiet was serene.

We left after two nights and honestly would have stayed longer. I will definitely be returning with my girlfriends to show them how great this place is.

Room Tip: Our corner room in the back got plenty of sun. The walls are thin, and you can hear people walking u...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had a function to attend in Napa and all of our usual places were completely booked. I found Spanish Villa Inn on another travel site. When we arrived we were amazed at how beautiful the exterior was. We were warmly greeted by the Innkeeper, Phil. We were shown around the inn and shown to our room. Our room had a gated small patio that opened up to the larger lawn. You could look up and see all the stars and it was so quiet and peaceful.

The continental breakfast was plentiful and filling.

Phil the innkeeper is so nice and concerned for his guests that he drove a group of us to our function at V.Sattui Winery and told us to call when we were ready to return. Not many places do that. That is outstanding! We are going back in November, reservation already made and we are looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 28, 2012

For our four night stay in the wine country, the Spanish Villa Inn was just perfect. The grounds are to die for - so beautiful and tranquil. The room was clean, spacious and backed out onto the beautiful backyard. I loved the words of wisdom that were placed in the rooms and the common areas. When you find yourself at the B & B between wineries and restaurants, you can play bocce ball, piano, watch tv in the living room or surf the net with the wifi that is throughout the property. The breakfast is continental - hard boiled eggs, bagels, muffins, yoghurt, fruit and yummy homemade granola.Every morning I would grab a fig off the fig tree to complement my breakfast. Free figs are very exciting to me as they cost a lot over here! lol. You don't need much more as there are so many top notch restaurants in the area that you may be visiting at lunch or dinner. St. Helena is the perfect base for your stay in the wine country. The B & B is a 5 minute drive into town and it is a lot more reasonably priced that the other places I looked at in the area.

Roy was very nice and genuine and we enjoyed getting to know him. Phil was very professional and attentive and even mailed me my supplements when I forgot them by mistake. We hope to return again one day and bring our families and we hope to meet Roy's dog next time! Casper was it?

In summary, great place, great hosts, great location and great value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very nice an quiet place to stay. Not sure where previous poster said "dirty" and only conditioner offered. I had shampoo and conditoner, as well as soap. Room as terrific and opened to a pivate courtyard, as did most rooms. Phil, the manager, was incredibly attentive and went out of his way to know your name. About 10 minutes from downtown. A good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 13 in St. Helena
Shady Oaks Country Inn
Shady Oaks Country Inn
#7 of 13 in St. Helena

Been to Spanish Villa Inn? Share your experiences!