“Perfect hide-away in the mountains, close to beautiful vineyards and good for runners!”
Review of Spanish Villa Inn

Spanish Villa Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is truly amazing. We arrived late after a tiring trip from the east coast (12 hours!). Phil, the inn manager, had left us a voicemail we didn't receive because as you drive closer to the mountains Verizon service is spotting (which is really a perfect way to enjoy wine). He wanted to make sure we were still arriving.

We checked into our room on the first floor, Merida, and Phil explained about the place, even inviting us to pick the fresh pomegranate and play piano!

He warned us that it might get a little hot in the room and we could open our door to the patio if this became the case. Let me explain this for everyone who ever complains about temperature. This inn is designed without individually temperature monitored spaces. That means, the central temperature sensor is in the common area, but the vents are in the rooms. Logically, that means the rooms will be hotter and the common areas colder. IF you have a problem with this, check into a chain hotel which offers individually controlled spaces. We did not have a problem at this Inn since it was beautiful outside, and cozy inside. Thank you Phil, for warning us, but it really made the experience more enjoyable not to wake up searching for blankets at night.

Phil even recommended a local brewery for dinner, less than 1 mile away, that would break up the large amount of wine we would taste. The Silverado Brewing Company has an amazing lamb burger and delicious local beers.

The next morning, I woke up early for a run. Breakfast isn't served until 7:30, and still being used to east coast time, I was up way before that. The run to Main Street is .95 miles, along 2 vineyards. Its the perfect way to wake up to a day of wine tasting. The Inn is not a walkable, noisy location. Instead, its a hide-away, a secret of Napa I would even call it. We even found it to be near the least crowded vineyards, which made for an even more relaxing stay.

The breakfast is delicious, carb-heavy (bagels, muffins, fresh fruit), and simple: exactly what you want when embarking on a day of wine tasting.

After breakfast, we wandered the grounds and took Phil up on picking the fresh fruit. Even in the colder brisk morning (November in CA), strolling with a cup of hot coffee (some of the best I've had) with my loved one, made for an amazing morning. The quiet was serene.

We left after two nights and honestly would have stayed longer. I will definitely be returning with my girlfriends to show them how great this place is.

Room Tip: Our corner room in the back got plenty of sun. The walls are thin, and you can hear people walking u...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had a function to attend in Napa and all of our usual places were completely booked. I found Spanish Villa Inn on another travel site. When we arrived we were amazed at how beautiful the exterior was. We were warmly greeted by the Innkeeper, Phil. We were shown around the inn and shown to our room. Our room had a gated small patio that opened up to the larger lawn. You could look up and see all the stars and it was so quiet and peaceful.

The continental breakfast was plentiful and filling.

Phil the innkeeper is so nice and concerned for his guests that he drove a group of us to our function at V.Sattui Winery and told us to call when we were ready to return. Not many places do that. That is outstanding! We are going back in November, reservation already made and we are looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 28, 2012

For our four night stay in the wine country, the Spanish Villa Inn was just perfect. The grounds are to die for - so beautiful and tranquil. The room was clean, spacious and backed out onto the beautiful backyard. I loved the words of wisdom that were placed in the rooms and the common areas. When you find yourself at the B & B between wineries and restaurants, you can play bocce ball, piano, watch tv in the living room or surf the net with the wifi that is throughout the property. The breakfast is continental - hard boiled eggs, bagels, muffins, yoghurt, fruit and yummy homemade granola.Every morning I would grab a fig off the fig tree to complement my breakfast. Free figs are very exciting to me as they cost a lot over here! lol. You don't need much more as there are so many top notch restaurants in the area that you may be visiting at lunch or dinner. St. Helena is the perfect base for your stay in the wine country. The B & B is a 5 minute drive into town and it is a lot more reasonably priced that the other places I looked at in the area.

Roy was very nice and genuine and we enjoyed getting to know him. Phil was very professional and attentive and even mailed me my supplements when I forgot them by mistake. We hope to return again one day and bring our families and we hope to meet Roy's dog next time! Casper was it?

In summary, great place, great hosts, great location and great value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very nice an quiet place to stay. Not sure where previous poster said "dirty" and only conditioner offered. I had shampoo and conditoner, as well as soap. Room as terrific and opened to a pivate courtyard, as did most rooms. Phil, the manager, was incredibly attentive and went out of his way to know your name. About 10 minutes from downtown. A good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ECUPirates64
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Fresh, romantic, relaxing, and welcoming are the best words to describe this beautiful inn!! My husband and I went to California for our "belated" honeymoon trip and felt this is a vacation we will definitely have to take again and again... We absolutely loved St. Helena! I read a few great reviews online which led me to call Roy, the most charming and wonderful host we've ever met. We were greeted with a note from Phil, one of the inn-keepers at the villa (also friendly and sweet), which directed us to our room. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast with bagels, muffins, fresh fruit and the best granola I've ever tasted (home-made by Roy’s wife, Barbara)! We finally had the pleasure of meeting Roy and formed a genuine friendship throughout our trip that we will never forget… Roy even took the time to drive us around in the convertible we rented one of the days we were there (as a honeymoon treat!) and showed us the most amazing wineries. This is truly an experience we will always remember and will recommend the Spanish Villa Inn to all of our friends and family. Actually, one of my husband’s best friends will be getting married in November and we’ve already told them they must stay at the inn! The best wineries of Napa are near and it’s just a short drive to downtown St. Helena, Napa and Yountville. What else can I say except that you will not regret staying at this inn – it is affordable, has attentive staff and is a very charming, quaint “home away from home”. What’s also funny is that my husband is from Spain, born in Seville, and we coincidentally stayed in the Seville room! We can’t wait to go back and have already extended an invitation to Roy and Barbara next time they are in South Florida. Thank you once again for making our stay unforgettable!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Spanish Villa Inn is truly a home away from home.....we hated to leave! The rooms are lovely, spacious and clean, and the beds very comfy! The grounds are gorgeous and everyone is welcome to pick the abundant fruit from the property fruit trees. There is a great bocci ball court and lovely places to sit, drink wine and indulge in local food. Roy (the owner) and Phil (the manager) were welcoming, accommodating and lots of fun. They made us feel like family and that the house and property were ours!

The property is close to the wineries and restaurants, but slightly removed so you feel the privacy and beauty of the Napa valley. I highly recommend this beautiful place and can't wait to visit again! Many many thanks to Roy & Phil!

Room Tip: Rooms are all great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Schenectady, New York, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Relaxing, beautiful and restful...all this and more. The staff were pleasant and efficient, the room was spacious, clean and quiet and the setting is beautiful. We made good use of the bocce court. Great location for access to wineries and and restaurants. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in St. Helena
Shady Oaks Country Inn
Shady Oaks Country Inn
#6 of 13 in St. Helena

Been to Spanish Villa Inn? Share your experiences!