“Do NOT stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Adagio Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Helena
Adagio Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Do NOT stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I booked a reservation in January for our trip in March. We drove down from Portland (10 hours) and got in at 9:00pm. No lights on, nobody home. I called, emailed, rang the doorbell - VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. No note - nothing. We got in the car and started to look for another hotel, and the porch lights started flashing on and off. (Hooray, we thought… she's home!) We walked up to the door and she yelled (rudely), "WHO ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" I explained that I had a reservation and that we had been emailing back and forth for months. Unfortunately for us, she "forgot" and had been "confused about the weekend and my reservation." I was SO angry. No apology, nothing. We were just out of luck. She showed us a room we could have the next night. Yuck. The room was creepy, had red carpet (gross) and stunk. Fortunately, the Harvest Inn took us in. I got an email from the Adagio owner the next day… "Are you staying here tonight?" Um… no. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank srahsrahh
pkeegan01, Owner at Adagio Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
My confirmation states check-in from 3-6pm, but I would be able to accommodate guests at another time if they alerted me in advance. (Having driven down, I assume they had cells and could have called.) The guests did not arrive til after 9pm, and I was retired (as I assumed I must have been mistaken about the day they were arriving), but I did awake, and was about to take them to the Guest Suite, but there were 3 young ladies for a 2-person room, and I could not fit the 3rd person.
(They had booked 1 month previously for 2 persons, and we had just 2 conversations - when she changed the reservation from 3 nights to 2 nights, then changed the actual weekend to another weekend and back to 3 nights).
I expected they would arrive (2 of them) for the following 2 nights, and after calling and emailing when they did not show up, she finally wrote after the fact and said she had found another place. I did not charge them any cancellation fees at all.
I had been #1 on trip advisor for 10 years, and have been always highly recommended. I'm sorry they felt so strongly about trying to damage my reputation.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here for 3 nights during a recent visit to Napa Valley. This is a beautiful place in a perfect location. Every detail is just as it should be. Location is perfect... just blocks from lots of shops and restaurants. Thank you Polly for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed October 2013
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Firstly, if you're coming to the Napa Valley I would skip Napa in favor of St Helena. It is a beautiful town, with so much within walking distance - very handy after a day of wine tasting.

We had three nights at Adagio in the Sonata Suite. It's not really a bed and breakfast, as Polly doesn't do breakfast. But there are plenty of breakfast places within a short stroll was the main street is just one block away.

The suite is spacious and beautifully decorated - it really does look like the photos. Although Polly lives upstairs, it felt very private and we weren't aware of people being above us. As its on a residential street it was very quiet and peaceful.

The wifi was pretty patchy but other than that I couldn't fault it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwi-Mum-on-vacation
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We spent 3 nights in the downstairs suite in early May. The location is excellent. Very quiet location a very short walk from main street. The room is beautifully furnished and the bathroom is huge. The flowers in the entire neighborhood were amazing. A place I would recommend (and already have) to a friend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BZots
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed two nights in the Sonata Suite. We had stayed at this property last year when it was a B&B, and although we miss Polly's wonderful breakfasts, there are a number of good choices right on the main street and a coffee shop just 1 block away. We reallly like the ability to just make the easy walk to downtown and not worry about having wine with dinner. The suite is clean and quite large with a huge tub for two. It is on the first or ground level with easy access and private entrance. I enjoyed sitting by the big window (very high ceilings) and looking at the roses. There is also a small fridge in the room. Polly is a wonderful host and will supply you with many recommendations.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed in the Sonata Suite for 3 nights. It's no longer a B & B operation but that suited us just fine as there is a nice coffee shop just a short walk away and no end of options in St Helena. The room is huge, beautifully furnished with lovely linens and a comfy bed. The property itself is very pretty with a lovely well kept garden. Polly, the owner, is helpful with restaurant advice and tips but at the same time it is a private and quiet place to stay and perfectly located for a very short stroll on to the main street of St Helena and the lovely shops and restaurants. Would recommend Market, Cindys and Press and if you're up for a walk (about a mile) you can walk to Sattui vineyard for a lovely picnic lunch. I would certainly stay here again if we go back to Napa area - St Helena was the nicest town we came across on our drives arounmd the region.

Room Tip: Sonata Suite is perfect for two.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SharonAJ
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I think of St. Helena as our "home away from home". We have stayed at the Adagio Inn 3 times in the last year, once as a bed and breakfast, and twice as a rental. We absolutely love staying there! We especially enjoy it as a rental as we like to have our own kitchen and the extra living space that you don't usually get in a hotel or B&B. We just got back from a week long stay where we rented the apartment and the Sonata Suite. We had 3 other couples with us, so needed the extra space. We have always found it to be very clean and the beds are very comfortable. It is quite a good value for the money spent - especially in comparison to the cost of local hotels and B&Bs.

The location is ideal as it is only a couple of blocks from downtown St. Helena and is walking distance to many great restaurants, a local coffee shop that we love, a movie theater, etc.

Polly is a wonderful hostess! We needed Polly to arrange to have the Sonata Suite cleaned part way through our visit as one couple used it for the first few days, then when they left another came in. She took care of everything for us and is always helpful with dinner and winery suggestions. She will also make reservations ahead of time for you if you need her to.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends