“The worst tasting experience...rip off!”
Review of Quintessa Winery

Quintessa Winery
Ranked #26 of 119 things to do in St. Helena
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was the WORST tasting experience ever in Napa. The host was somewhat distracted and spent a lot of time inputting our information in to the Ipad while we were sitting in the tasting room.

We have visited numerous wineries in the area (have been tasting for over 20 years and been to Napa and Sonoma 12-14 times) and felt "ripped off" by this experience. $65 for a tasting of 2 wines (they were quite delicious) and 3 little cheeses for that price was ridiculous.

There are soooo many other, more interesting places to visit. We would NEVER recommend this place.

Maybe if you are a novice and new to the area, you may think this was special. Just because they have a nice package with your name on it, does not make this a unique or good experience. Beware!

2  Thank Kimberley34227

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Jared was our guide and educator and really made this such a memorable experience! Rolling vineyards, oak groves, stunning architectue and clever nods to sustainability made this my top three in all of CA wine country! Pairing tastes with local cheeses allowed us to appreciate the nuances of each wine. You really should go!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We’ve been to Napa before, but toured Quintessa for the first time this week because we’d been given a great bottle as a gift some years ago. If you go, be aware that like Opus One, Quintessa makes only one wine (a Bordeaux style red), and concentrates on quality (prices are roughly half of Opus One, with nearly equal quality IMHO). On arrival, we had a private tour that was tailored to our preferences (e.g., we chose not to tour the vineyard itself). A tasting note packet was ready for us, printed with our name. The tasting was also personalized – a ladder tasting of three vintages – and we had opportunity to taste a fourth vintage that is nearly sold out. The wines were superb, though the most recently released vintage (2009) wasn’t to our taste. All in all, I highly recommend the tour and tasting - a personalized, special experience in every way.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I booked reservations at Quintessa for my wedding trip in advance as I was really looking forward to going there after strong recommendations. I had a full limo tour full of wineries, but this was the one I was really looking forward to. My husband and I had just gotten married the day before, and I thought it would be really special.

When we got there, we were told that there wasn't time to take us out on the property. Even with my brother in law there telling them that this was a special occasion as we had just gotten married and everytime he goes he has toured the property AND buys cases of wine, Karin, our guide, said no. She did, however, have time to show us the grape harvesting process, which was interesting, but we did wonder why we had time for that, but not to see the property.

None of us felt the "warm fuzzies" we did at other wineries with Karin. We had just been to another winery where we felt really welcomed and relaxed. This was a big contrast. Even with wine purchases, (some large) she would not comp any of the tastings. My brother in law who has been there many times said that he has ALWAYS been comped in some way when making a large purchase. This was also the highest tasting fee we had and the worst experience. I ended up embarassed that I put it on our wine tour with our friends, as it had been my number one choice and everyone's least favorite.

What started off being the winery I most wanted to visit, ended up putting a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't buy anything. I can't say that I would want to go back or purchase their wine due to this experience. What I thought would be a fabulous, romantic tour ended up being a rushed, unenjoyable stop by a snooty host. It was our worst stop in two days of wine touring.

1  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I got engaged here two weeks ago so of course I'm totally biased. Engagement aside, this winery and everyone who works here is amazing, therefore deserving the 5 star rating! The private tours are wonderful. Our tour guide, Laura, was so cool and informative and it felt like we were just hanging out with our friend at the winery while learning about their wine making process and their property (being there during harvest season was great!). Be warned of the ridiculously beautiful view that will just suck you in. We had to peel ourselves out of the rocking chairs to head back down to the tasting room for the rest of our tasting. My fiancé said everyone he spoke with when planning the engagement was super nice and helpful. My experience when we got there and as we were leaving definitely echoed the same sentiment. Although it is a pricier tour/tasting, it is one not to be missed. Make it part of your wine country to-do list and check this one off, at least once.