“Small but great location”
Review of Wydown Hotel

Wydown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed July 11, 2014

If you are looking for a quaint hotel with great rooms, but an even better location, this is a place to try. St. Helena is a great town in Napa Valley and from Wydown you can walk everywhere in the town. There are no amenities like a restaurant and bar at the hotel but that worked out fine since we were within walking distance of so many good ones. Definitely put this place on the list to consider if you are in Napa Valley.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank CasaPete

Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is a lovely hotel. However, for the price we paid, I can only say it was OK. For the price, I was expected to be blown away (2 nights were over $900). For that price, I expected a few more amenities. However, first let me say that the staff is amazing and very friendlly. The room was beautifully appointed and very clean. It was quiet MOST of the time, but agree with other reviews that at times folks walking up and down the hardwood hallways (beautiful flooring by the way) will actually wake you out of a sound sleep, especially early in the morning.
Now to the cons: My biggest complaint about our room ((#7) is there is a skylight in the room over the bed! No kidding...so here in the middle of summer, the sun comes up about 5:30 a.m. and the room lights up like a circus. If you are sensitive to needing a darker room to sleep in like me, make sure you know and ask UP FRONT about one of the rooms without a skylight. If anyone had forewarned us about this we would certainly have asked. Another negative about the sleep experience is the hotel could afford to invest in better pillows. My husband & I both struggled with the pillow comfort. The choices were either extremely soft (flat like a pancake) or so stiff they did not move, probably more geared towards a sham than a sleeping pillow. And finally, I agree with Leslie K. in that there was just something missing. We left saying "eh...it was OK". Although we were given a couple of free water bottles during our stay and a coupon for coffee in the a.m., there was NOTHING else offered as far as food or beverage. Some other reviews mentioned some fruit or granola bars in the a.m., but that does not exist that we could find. They must have discontinued that service. There is not even a basket of apples sitting around anywhere, which I see at all of the hotels throughout wine country. I'm not saying an apple is a breakfast substitue, but there is no food or drink in the hotel except for a water cooler and a tea service. Very lacking, again, for the price. We stayed at a different hotel in the area last year for about the same price, and upon check-in, there was a bottle of wine in our room (free), waters (free all day), a BEAUTIFUL full FREE breakfast (hot & cold), a 2-room suite with an outdoor patio, a pool, an on-site bar and beautiful property overall. Also, it was my birthday, and a birthday cupcake was put in our room during our stay. I don't think Wydown knew it was my BD, but if they did there was no mention of it (My husband thought he told them when he booked). So I have to say that as far as Wydown, we will go back to the other hotel next visit.

Room Tip: Inquire about a room without a skylight over the bed! Also, rooms towards the north side of the hote...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CherylSatelliteBeach
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was very happy with this hotel. Service from the beginning was excellent and some of the best we've experienced in our visits to the US. It was personal but not invasive. I liked that parking and wifi were included. The rooms are very comfortable and the bed was so comfy. Shower pressure good and good quality toiletries. My only comment would be that the door opens straight onto the hallway, so if I was sitting in bed and my husband came through the door, anyway walking past could see in. That felt a little odd.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Most hotels in the St. Helena, California area are either pretty much over the top in their offerings (and their cost) or the opposite (but overpriced). The Wydown bridges this gap in fine style. The Wydown is a nice boutique hotel basically in the center of St. Helena. The rooms are decent size, modern, well appointed, quiet and comfortable, and there is good private off-street parking that makes things easy in this area. There is, however, no restaurant or breakfast service, no pool, and no lavish landscaping- and you will not have a vineyard view. Just a very good hotel in a great location at a relatively reasonable price for the Napa Valley. If you want a very nice hotel room in the heart of the Napa Valley at a somewhat lower cost, and are willing to sacrifice the glitter but still retain niceness and modernity, the Wydown is recommended for you.

Room Tip: Choose one of the larger rooms (with a bit higher rate) if space is critical- but it appears that al...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I had been wanting to do a trip to Napa for a while but had always heard things about the area being pretentious or intimidating. NOT TRUE AT ALL and the Wydown Hotel was a perfect choice for us. Close to everything - shops and restaurants - in the adorable town of St. Helena, once we parked our car when we arrived and didn't need to move it.

The rooms are lovely - very clean and stylish. Complimentary water and beverages in the minibar were also a nice perk. In addition, a nice selection of teas were also available around the clock with to-go cups.

Hotel staff was great - very knowledgeable and gave us tickets for free tastings at a number of nearby winery's. This hotel is also a pick up location for the Platypus tours - which we highly recommend doing, as well!

Nearby dining options are fantastic - we dined at Market and Archetype - both were delightful. We were also referred to Goose & Gander but ran out of time on our trip. All were well within walking distance.

If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to stay while touring the Napa Valley, the Wydown won't let you down!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Wydown provided us with a great location for a recent wedding and wine tour trip. The hotel has an intimate feel but the rooms were very spacious and newly updated. The hallways are a bit noisy the wood floors don't absorb the noise and we could hear people clomping and going all night.
A bit pricey with no real services or Food & Beverage offers but you can't beat the location and great parking too.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jcrosstalk
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed one night at the Wydown and found everything to work well. We stayed in Room 1 which was spacious and had a pull out sofa which allowed for a third person to stay in the room. The parking in back is very convenient and the hotel is on the Main Street in St Helena and walkable to all the restaurants. Only reason why this wasn't rated 'Excellent' was that it wasn't good value for the money - but that could just be St Helena. . ..

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Meadowood Napa Valley
Meadowood Napa Valley
#1 of 9 in St. Helena

Been to Wydown Hotel? Share your experiences!