“Didn't live up to the hype”

Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch
Reserve with OpenTable
Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Charter Oak
Description: Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch's restaurant showcases the seasonal, ingredient-driven American farmhouse cooking of executive chef Stephen Barber. LMR Grass-fed Beef CheeseburgerHoused in a former nursery barn, our 110-seat restaurant revolves around a central open kitchen with booth and central seating, community dining, and a full bar. We feature an authentic farm-to-table menu. The ingredients are foraged from local sources and feature Long Meadow Ranch's all natural grass-fed beef and lamb, organic and sustainably produced eggs, fruits, vegetables, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, and honey. Possessing a substantial background in Southern cooking styles, Stephen emphasizes a wood-burning element for select dishes. Stephen's kitchen is also outfitted with a plancha, a cast-iron grill ideal for searing Long Meadow Ranch's healthy, tender, and flavorful grass-fed beef and lamb. Community tables at Farmstead restaurantFarmstead at Long Meadow Ranch's restaurant wine program features Long Meadow Ranch Winery's elegant and balanced wines, as well as other domestic and international wines selected by Chris Hall to complement the restaurant's American farmhouse cooking. LMR and Farmstead wines are also available to purchase to-go at the Logan-Ives House cellar door. There is no corkage fee at Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch. Instead, a $5-per-bottle fee is collected as a donation to a featured local community-building not-for-profit organization each month. We call this program Corkage for Community. Outdoor bar at Farmstead restaurantOutdoors in season, guests can enjoy a meal among the espalier apple trees, drinks at the bar, or relax with friends and family by the cozy wood-fired authentic forge. Monday through Friday from 4 PM to 6 PM we offer a Growers' Happy Hour with specially-priced cocktails, beer, and wine and a special bar menu. We also offer Weekly Traditions featuring special friendly, casual menus on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nghts and on Sunday for brunch. Live entertainment on Fridays. The regular menu is available everyday. Indoor and outdoor seating available. Walk-ins are welcome
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place has great local chatter. I had three staff members at two different wineries tell me that I had to go there for the best burger EVER. So, how could I refuse? When I arrived, the restaurant was packed with a long wait. Fortunately, as I was traveling alone, I was able to grab a seat at the bar. I asked the bartender about the burger. She agreed that it was great; but suggested that I had to order it with the egg on top (an extra). So, I obliged and ordered the burger with the egg. Perhaps given the multiple accolades, I had my expectations set too high. But, while it was an OK burger (although a little undercooked, based on my requested doneness) it was just that - a good burger. Not the pinnacle of burgerdom that I expected. So I had an enjoyable meal, but nothing special. My biggest complaint was the ambient noise in the restaurant. It was so loud that it was difficult to hear the bartender and would have been impossible to have a normal conversation. Would I try it again? Given the local reviews, probably. But, next time I would go with much lower expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,960)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food was delicious. We started with the oysters in a half shell. Very clean and easy to remove from the shell. I had the pork chop with grits and a glass of the house red wine. My meal was amazing. My husband had the ribeye with potatoes. Our waitress was very nice and upbeat. Great place!!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just dined here the other day. My wife and i liked the atmosphere of the "barn" . The meals we had which were the salmon and pork chop both were delicious and flavorful. We thought it a great restaurant and would recommend it.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We capped off a wonderful day in Napa Valley with a special dinner at Farmstead. We choose to dine outdoors between rows of young apple trees with a view of the property's lush vegetable, fruit and flower/herb gardens. Our waiter was attentive and friendly.

Our meals were amazing. Upon my first sip of that night's special tomato soup with goat cheese and herb-infused olive oil, I declared to my companion: "It is a crime against humanity that this soup is not served to every human being on Earth for every meal every day." Our subsequent courses were no less sublime: salads so fresh they screamed when we bit into their tender lettuce leaves, a creamy veggie risotto, and a white bean side that was hearty and filling.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My experience was Saturday, September 15th. The waitress suggested the beef of the day
but it was far too noisy to really hear her clearly. This is a large open building with exposed rafters all the way to 35 feet so you can imagine the noise level. I was charged $18 for was nothing more than a hot dog in a mayo lined roll with relish on the side. I told the waitress to tell the manager he should be ashamed charging $18 for a hot dog. He took $2 off.
I don't begrudge the waitress. She got her 20% but no apology for my feelings. This is harvest season so these rip-off places will unfortunately be seen frequently in Napa Valley. It may seem from other reviews that mine was an isolated experience but none the less the price was a clear rip-off! The menu never described it other than "daily special".