“Experience wasn't terrible, but hotel was”
Review of Hotel St. Helena

Hotel St. Helena
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a classic example of expectations. The price on this hotel is WAY too high for what you get. What you get is fine if you were paying $100-$150, but when you are shelling out almost $400 for one night, it's pretty pathetic. Hotel is in a good location, but decor is dated, creepy and not very clean. Rooms are basic. We lucked out on parking, but were told when we got there that there were spaces, but shoppers usually park there and she 'didn't know what to tell us'. My advice - if you are going to pay this much, pay a little extra and find a nicer place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SarahS0605

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed in innumerable hotels over the last four decades - from modest to grand - and this one takes the prize for the worst value. The room was barely larger than the "queen" bed and offered no closet; just a hook on the back of the bathroom door. The bed was uncomfortable, the pillows like bags of cement. The only other furniture was a small, round bed-side table covered with an old floral cloth and sporting a telephone, a lamp and a box of Kleenex, and a bizarre, little white-painted cabinet with a few tiny drawers that was better suited to a garage than a bedroom. The bathroom was passable. Small and cheaply done, but passable. There might have been air conditioning - I could hear a hum - but if so there was no way to control it and we had to sleep with the window open. And what did all this splendor cost? A mere $365. Wow. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Neil S
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The room was $480, smelled, was not cleaned probably in weeks, furniture is old, bedding stained and unwelcoming. I will write a review to appropriate authorities to shut it down dangerous to the health of the tourists.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Raluca D
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel due to the fact that we needed to just stay one night and they had no minimum night requirement. It was $400 a night for almost a dump...when we checked in they said "Oh, there is no TV working in your room". When we went to the "room" and I use the term loosely, there was no place to put the luggage without putting it on the bed when we were not sleeping. It was hot, the windows don't open (they put some sort of material in to stop it from moving). SO, BEWARE..this hotel is a pit for the money. If it was $300 less, it would be fine.
On the plus side, the bed was comfy, even for a double.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Glorianne G
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Having never been to this hotel I was not sure what to expect, so I was really pleased when I first walk in at the charm of the place. Totally Victorian in its style and decor, very clean and well appointed with period furniture and curios. The staff both at check in and check out were wonderful. We felt immediately welcome and they were very helpful and gracious with all of our questions. We also got some great recommendations as to restaurants and bars in the area. The rooms were also spotless. Very comfortable king size bed and what appeared to be a newly remodeled good sized bathroom. All around a wonderful experience with great customer service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We booked a room for 18May as we were to visit friends in Anguin. It was the least expensive room I could find. The woman that checked us in was nice enough. The room was tiny. I have traveled for business since 1964 and have to say our bed was one of the worst I've ever slept on. Terrible back ache the next two days. I just returned from four months in Central and South America and have had better beds in $10 hosterias. The woman that served us breakfast was nice enough and the breakfast was pretty good. Over all, the rate is about $100 too much. I suspect the visitors from the 'Bay Area' don't mind getting gouged as they get use to it.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Douglas L
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The service here is not only terrible, but insulting. I booked 1 night on a Saturday for 4/28/12. It was the cheapest hotel around I could find in Calistoga and St. Helena. Now it's the cheapest for a reason. I was told I had 3 days prior to the reservation to cancel or modify my reservation. My plans changed 3 days prior, and I called the hotel number listed in my confirmation email to cancel one of the rooms. No one picked up so I left a voicemail. No one got back to me, and it was at 8:00 pm so I thought fine I'll try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow comes and I email them when I don't hear from them. Turns out the confirmation I had a different number than what they usually answer at. I call at the new number they gave to me and when I get a hold of someone, they told me it's too late to cancel since it is 2 days prior to the reservation. I explained that my confirmation email did not have the right number, so they should let me cancel since I left a voicemail last night. The woman refused to do so and would not let me speak to the manager after repeatedly asking to speak to the manager. I told them there's no way I'm staying there after this fiasco, and that I'm disbuting the credit card charge if they still charge me. She said fine she doesn't care. That's the kind of service you'll get for staying here. Heed my words, find somewhere else that will treat you like they actually care for how you feel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
#13 of 15 in Calistoga
Wydown Hotel
Wydown Hotel
#5 of 9 in St. Helena

Been to Hotel St. Helena? Share your experiences!