“Great value, great location!”
Review of Hotel St. Helena

Hotel St. Helena
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I travelled to St. Helena for a week long class at the Culinary Institute of America and stayed at the Hotel St. Helena. As I was checking in, the lady at the front desk mentioned that she would be on duty until 8:00 PM. Since I travelled from Orlando Florida, the first order of business was a nice long nap, followed by unpacking and dinner. When I got back to my room around 8:10, I turned on the TV and found that it did not work. Fortunately, the lady (owner?) at the front desk was still there, waiting for one last guest to arrive. She immediately moved me to a different room--one slightly larger and with a bigger bathroom (and a working TV!). I don't know what hotel some of the other reviewers stayed at, but it could not have been this one. I found Hotel St. Helena to be quaint, tasteful, and clean. I have a bad back, and as such at home sleep on a mattress only slightly softer than a slab of granite. But I suffered no ill effects at all from the hotel's mattress. I did not venture into the garden, but the upstairs common area proved to be the perfect place, if a little dark, to enjoy a glass of wine after a long hot day in the kitchens of CIA. I also cannot speak to the quality of the breakfast or afternoon tea as class coincided with both. The location cannot be beat. Right in the heart of downtown St. Helena, with numerous restaurants and all of the shopping within easy walking distance, again I'll mention the bad back. There were really few negatives, but if I had to nitpick, an ice machine in a common area, or better yet small fridge in the room, would have been nice. Also, if you are travelling with a laptop and your power brick has a three prong plug, then you might want to bring a short extension cord or buy one at the hardware store just up the street as the only three prong outlet is in the bathroom. All in all, I would happily stay at Hotel St. Helena again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank OrlandoRob238

Reviewed June 17, 2011

My daughter and I took a road trip to Napa and stayed 2 nights at the St. Helena Hotel. The service we received was great. The hotel is charming with a little touch of rustic. The continental breakfast was perfect for our needs. The outdoor sitting/garden area is adorable. We'll certainly be back because there's no better value for the location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My husband and I traveled with good friends to the Napa Valley for a weekend get-away at the end of April. Our plan was to eat great food, drink good wine, visit a few wineries, and do some shopping. We couldn’t have picked a better hotel to accomplish our mission.
First of all, Hotel St. Helena is smack dab in the middle of the charming town of St. Helena - full of boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. We walked to dinner both Friday and Saturday evenings (Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen, and Terra Bar – both terrific), shopped before and after touring, window-shopped after hours, and strolled the residential neighborhoods adjacent to the town. It was delightful to walk out the front door of the hotel and into the action without having to get in and out of the car.
Additionally, the hotel was conveniently located to the sites on our list for Saturday: Clos Pegase Winery for the modern art & architecture, Castello di Amoroso for the castle tour, and the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone for lunch on the terrace (overlooking the Napa valley). All three places were within an easy, and gorgeous 12-minute drive of the hotel.
Best of all, though, was the comfort of the hotel. The staff was exceptional - warm, friendly, informative and attentive; the breakfast was authentic (not packaged)– nice breads and spreads, great OJ (no pulp!), and delicious coffee; the afternoon wine was surprisingly decent – which we enjoyed in the quiet, lovely courtyard; the wifi was easy to access on our phones & laptops (and was included in the room price); the rooms were clean; the bed & linens were comfortable; the plumbing was current; and the parking was free.
While I frequently use internet reviews, I will admit that this is the first one I have ever written. I was moved to writing because I felt strongly about our visit to the hotel, and because I believe there were a few poor reviews before mine that nearly influenced me from keeping our reservation. The hotel is an old (>100 years) Victorian and is decorated appropriately. It is NOT a modern, spa hotel. If the latter is what you are looking for, this is not it. If you are looking for a weekend similar to the one I described above, then I cannot think of a better place to stay. Hotel St. Helena has my full endorsement, and I will absolutely return to the hotel on our next trip to the Napa Valley.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank AMravca
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I booked the Hotel St Helena after looking at it's website. My first clue should have been the 'NO REFUNDS' sign at the reception desk. This hotel was reasonably clean, with old carpeting. Decor is always personal choice --- if you like collections of old dolls and knick knacks, this is the place for you. Our room was small, spartan and stuffy. We had to put our bags on the floor. There was no room on the nightstand between the beds. A wobbly armoire offered a couple of wire clothes hangers. No hooks for coats, no hooks in the bathroom. The beds were so soft when I sat in the middle both ends came up. There were no mattress pads --- just the sheet. We got into bed, realized our heads were low & feet were high, so we put our pillows at the other end. Can't report on the continental breakfast -- we got up and out of there. (the highpoint was a late dinnet at Cindy's Backstreet Cafe --excellent!)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank napatour
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I can't imagine why anyone would give this place a rating above zero. Its that bad. The maroon carpets are badly stained. The bathroom barely works. The street noise is loud, and you can't open the room windows. How can it be louder inside my room than outside? The television was a joke -- something from the 1970's? All fuzzy with terrible reception. To read, I could prop myself in the little chair and put my feet up on the bed -- cozy -- no. The bedspread smelled terribly like some man's cologne. I threw the pillows on the floor and used my own travel pillow. The room's pillows looked like the ones I would throw out after my son came home from three weeks in summer camp. Gross. The breakfast was a sad affair. Don't believe the reviews about a "French" breakfast or whatever that is. Think reconstituted orange juice and a piece of flimsy raisin toast with a vat of recycled cream cheese on the side. Wine reception? Be careful of the glasses -- mine had a crack all the way up to its opening. Kind of speaks for the entire place. Oh, and re the haunted nature of many reviews -- there is no doubt this place has a creepy aura -- nothing bad happened to me there (except a guy walking out of my room when I was gone for 5 minutes -- is that creepy?), but there's no way I would ever set my foot (or wallet) back in that overpriced dump.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank drisSeattle
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I recently tried to stay at the Hotel St. Helena. I was enroute when, at 3 p.m., I received a phone call asking if I was coming. When I said yes, they asked when I would get there because, if I got there after 5p.m. I would find a key under the mat. And, at 5:15, that's what I found. I then went upstairs to a nicely appointed, old-fashioned hotel--at least until I got to the room. The room was like a monk's cell. Cold, no closet ( I was there for a sewing workshop so I had nice garments needing hanging), a mini TV 3/4 of the way up the wall (like in a hospital) and no dresser to put garments in! Weird! But weirder still was, after going for a walk, grabbing a bite to eat and coming back around eight, there was still not a soul in the hotel. It was still dark and cold and there was this slamming noise which sounded like a large door but, since there were no voices or footsteps following the slam, I figured it must be a central heating system. My room was still cold and frankly, I was creeped out. There was no wine as promised, no check in till 6 p.m and the number they left, if I needed anything, was the answering service. I know because that's the number I called to let them know I was leaving and, since I hadn't used anything but the toilet down the hall, would not want to be charged. I got a call the next day at 3, telling me I would be charged for that night, even though I drove to Calistoga and stayed at a more expensive hotel! They said there was a 72 hour cancellation policy. I never even received a confirmation letter saying this but, it is on their website--along with their promises of wine, check-in times, etc. However, since I did show but, couldn't stay, I don't see how relevant that policy would be, anyway. They best part is, today I read the review"Is this hotel haunted, or what?" which made me really glad of my choice to leave! This hotel should not be in business!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank threadbearer61
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Unexpectedly found this gem and was suprised beyond our imagination. If you want charming, this is it. This was the highlight of our honeymoorn; the location, the service, the quaintness, the breakfast, the atmosphere. Couldn't believe the price given the location. We slept with the windows open and although you could hear some traffic it was still peaceful. You can walk to all of the great shops and any of the incredible restaurants. Dozens of great wineries within 10 minutes. We will stay here again and recommend this to anyone who is considering a trip to Napa.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Calistoga
Wydown Hotel
Wydown Hotel
#5 of 9 in St. Helena

Been to Hotel St. Helena? Share your experiences!