“Nice but had some construction going on...”
Review of Chappellet

Chappellet
Ranked #14 of 118 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the Napa Valleys hidden treasures. Chappellet Winery sits in the eastern hills of the Napa Valley (an area called Pritchard Hill) and produces some of the world's most compelling Cabernet Sauvignons. The tour and tasting experience at Chappellet is consistenly rated amongst the finest in the region.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It was a pleasant experience but I didn't feel like we got to experience the true Chappellet due to the construction that was going on outside. It would have been a beautiful setting had there been no construction. The hostess did a great job of going through the history of Chappellet and explaining the different wines to us. If you have a limited amount of time, and since it is a drive to get there, I would plan on only visiting Chappellet and one other one and that would make it a full day.

1  Thank ElBirdos

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The story behind Chappellet wines would be enough to warrant a tour. The setting is beautiful and the tour was personable and fun. And the wines are truly lovely.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had an excellent tasting with Amy, who is friendly and knowledgable. . Loved the wine (and the wonderful chocolates at the end). Hard to find...you drive up a long windy road and when you think you passed it, keep going and eventually you see signs pointing the way. Make reservations for the tasting. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Chappellet Winery is in a beautiful setting and has some excellent wines. It has been around for many years but this is the first visit I made. The winery was founded in 1967 by Donn and Molly Chappellet and is located up on Pritchard Hill, east of Rutherford near the famous cult winery Bryant Family and Lake Hennessey. An appointment is needed as are directions.

The drive up to Chappellet is lovely as you take Sage Canyon Road to Lake Hennessey and then follow a narrow drive a mile and a half through a forested area. A short walking path leads from the parking area up the hill to the winery. The winery itself is beautiful, an older design that seems contemporary. Bring your camera.

Our host, Jessica, was wonderful, very courteous, professional and enthusiastic. Our tasting began with the 2010 Signature Chenin Blanc at $30. With a nice nose, not too much sweetness, and very good balance, this is a wine that almost anybody would like but that has enough complexity to appeal to serious wine drinkers. I'm still not a convert to the varietal but this Chenin Blanc is the best California Chenin Blanc I can recall tasting. Next, we tried the 2010 Napa Valley Chardonnay ($32). I usually prefer Chardonnays without malolactic conversion or MLF because I like to taste the varietal characteristics and complexity which are often lost from MLF or else from over oaking. This one has 30% MLF and 30% new oak. It had a great aroma of tropical fruits, with good well-balanced acid. We both thought it was very nice.

The red wines began with the flagship 2009 Signature Cabernet Sauvignon ($49) which was very good. Mostly blackberry on the palate it had great structure and complexity. Although it is very drinkable now, it will improve with age. This is one of the best Napa Valley Cabernets and seems like a bargain at only $49. I noticed they made a Cabernet Franc and commented on how much I liked the Titus Cab Franc. Much to my surprise, Mr. Titus is involved with making theirs so I had to try it. The 2009 is $65 and is one of the finest Napa Valley Cab Francs I've tasted. If you like Cab Francs, you need to try the Chappellet. Our final tasting was of the 2009 Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, a limited production blend of their finest grapes ($135). This very ripe Cab still has complexity and is not overwhelmed by the fruit. More along the lines of what Robert Parker seems to like, I can imagine this wine doing really well in blind tastings. Every wine we tasted was very good, although if I had to pick my favorites these would be the Cab Franc and the Signature Cab.

I noticed that Chappellet had library and large format wines plus other varietals including: Merlot, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Malbec and a red blend called Las Piedras. Next time we visit, I'd like to try the Petite Sirah and Malbec. Chappellet is in a lovely building, in a beautiful setting, with fantastic service and exceptional wines. Here are some photos of this beautiful winery:
Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This winery is unique. Located at end of winding mountain road, it is worth the time just to make the trip. Chappellet is one of our favorite wines so we were sight seeing more that wine tasting. This is not a winery you just "drop into".

1  Thank Keith B