“Succes brings greed?”

Chappellet
Ranked #15 of 113 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the Napa Valleys hidden treasures. Chappellet Winery sits in the eastern hills of the Napa Valley (an area called Pritchard Hill) and produces some of the world's most compelling Cabernet Sauvignons. The tour and tasting experience at Chappellet is consistenly rated amongst the finest in the region.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Succes brings greed?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Why would you expect a visitor to the Napa Valley to pay a cancellation fee if they cannot possibly find this out of the way winery to make a tasting appointment? What are they, a high priced restaurant? We don't need wineries like you.

1 Thank richn1978

Highland, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Odd place that is marginal at best.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

I totally agree with the last review in that "This was an odd experience. We felt a little like there was no plan for the tasting or the tour." Our driver was a bit later than our apmt, but we walked right into a long table and a glass of wine. I really had no idea of what it was. We too had Diane do our tour, who seemed knowledgable, but certainly didn't share anything with us that we hadn't already heard, other than point out a concrete "egg" barrel that was unique in their process. But this was from half way across the winery. We weren't anywhere near it. It was odd. Then she took us outside, which is what I was super excited about. This too was odd. We walked up a little path and then she pointed up the hill to the owner's house and said she had a beautiful garden. And then the house down the mountain was For Sale By Owner, so I feel like we chatted more about that and their diseased red vines more than anything related to Chappellet. I had really hoped to see a beautiful view and have some amazing wine. No such luck here. Had I to do it again, I NEVER would have gone on this tour. There are FAR better tours out there, especially for this price. Skip it!

Visited November 2011
4 Thank JenMiTy
Scottsdale, Arizona
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Felt like I was in an pyramid presentation or on a used car lot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was an odd experience. We felt a little like there was no plan for the tasting or the tour. People were late so Diane started without them with pouring, but no real description of what we were tasting. We literally were handed a glass and she poured some in and we walked. Diane walked us to a back door and said she would normally show us the view from behind the cellar but it was raining. She took us back there and was like, yep it's raining you can't see anything. Then we walked back up to the front and sat at a large table. It was strange. She did show us a concrete barrel and that it was unique in the process of their chardonney's. Once we sat down she had a "club member" tell the rest of us how great it was to be a member. (felt a little used car salesmanish or like a pyramid scheme) No one there, except the club member, purchased any of their wines. I spoke with four others on the tour and none of them thought the wines were special nor worth purchasing and felt a similar experience to ours. Not sure how much the tasting fee was ( I forgot to jot that down), but we had five wines in the tasting. My notes say "neat view, marginal wine, pushy sales." She told us about 4 times how the Mountain Cuvee was such a great deal because he was selling it for $25 instead of $29.

Visited November 2010
2 Thank Sofia R
Comanche, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Chappellet Winery – In fine company on Pritchard Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

If you enjoy a good, in this case great, Napa Cabernet Sauvignon you are probably familiar with Chappellet Winery. While I have drunk their wines I had not made the trip to their iconic Pritchard Hill estate until a recent visit to California. The winery is off the well-traveled route but the drive is pleasant and the scenery is some of the best you will take in. Once you arrive you will be given a tour of the striking winery, walk through the beautifully tended vineyards, learn about the family and their efforts to make fine wine in harmony with nature and taste their marvelous wines. You will come away with an appreciation for what this talented group has built and continue to hone to a fine art. You will drink their wines with a greater respect for their efforts and look for opportunities to spread the word of this beautiful site to fellow oenophiles. Chappellet is a young winery by some measure, but was established in the early 1960’s. You probably would not guess the age of the winery as it is one of the best maintained industrial facilities I have seen. Their attention to detail even includes loaner jackets if you find the cellar temperatures a bit cool. Appointments are required and there is a fee for the tasting/tour. Plan to spend at least an hour at the winery and allow plenty of time to get there and on to your next destination. Your in-car GPS Navi will not be of much use but the directions they provide should get you there if you are very observant. Spend a few minutes viewing their quality website and make an appointment to visit them on Pritchard Hill when you are in the area. I consider their wines some of the best of the region and the winery and vineyard tour is an experience not to be missed.

1 Thank derPenguin