“A little hoity-toity, but the wine was good”

Del Dotto Estate Winery & Caves
Ranked #6 of 124 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: Venetian Estate Winery & Caves located in St. Helena opened in 2007. Featuring imported Italian marble from Italy and chandalier from Murano adorning the tasting room and Cave. Offering our Cave Experience & Barrel Tasting daily by reservation only.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I don't consider ourselves wine connoisseurs, or even at all knowledgeable about wine, so I think we were looking for laid back wineries in Napa Valley where we could cut our teeth without having to know much.

Granted, we didn't have to be experts at Del Dotto, but the atmosphere was a little...I don't know the word...maybe 'pretentious'? That might be it, but I'm sure there's a better one somewhere. It was very luxurious on the inside, from the marble columns to the large frescos adorning the walls, to the chandelier-lit "cave" (which is much nicer than a cave...maybe this is common knowledge), almost to the extent that we felt like we didn't belong. Our guided tour was fun - our guide didn't come across as the type we had expected, having walked into the marble lobby - and we enjoyed the wine.

Each winery attempts to distinguish itself from every other winery, and we were served pizza, chocolate, and a charcuterie plate to go along with our wine after we completed the tour. This was great, but it seemed like it would make more sense to pair the wine with the food if they wanted you to get the whole experience. In any case, the food was good, and the wine they poured at the table (one kind, though we didn't ask if we could have others) went well with what they served.

I can't dock the place that much for its atmosphere - after all, I'd imagine most people want to feel like royalty when they're on vacation, and probably find this to be one of their favorite atmospheres. It just wasn't ours.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"oak barrels"
"main room"

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Nearly ten years ago a friend who was quite the wine connoseur brought me to a cave tour and barrel tasting at Del Dotto in Napa. They caves were from the 1850's, they poured a lot of delicious wine and I was hooked.
On this trip, we went to their new caves (built I believe in 2007) over in St. Helena. If you've been to the old caves and think there's nothing to see here, you are entirely mistaken. It is like rags to riches, day to night. Two completely different locations. The new winery and caves are elaborate, venetian-inspired and at least in the entrance almost over the top. The marble was all brought in from Italy, there are murals and frescos.
Your tour takes you into the new, beautiful caves where you do barrel tastings then come out into the main area for charcuterie, chocolate and even a little pizza along with more wine. The staff is funny, warm and incredibly knowledgable. All are welcome at Del Dotto. Its a dream! Make Del Dotto part of your trip and snag some of the 2010 pinot or the Ca'nani cab - amazing!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a vacation in Napa and San Francisco that included hot air balloon rides and visiting Alcatraz. Taking the tour of Del Dotto in Saint Helena was by far our favorite experience. They have great wines and amazing decor. I would recommend this place to anyone and will remember it fondly for many years to come.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Del Dotto cave tour and tasting is an absolute must for anyone who goes to Napa! While it is not cheap 60/person it is well worth the price. 10 wines, port, cheese, boar!! Brandon our guide was very informative and remembered everyone's name. 4 couples. After he learned what everyone's preferences where he took us only to cabs and noir's. the history and the caves along with wine right from the barrel is truly a great day and experience. The wines all where exceptional and surely we will purchase more. Thank you Del Dotto winery.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2013

There is a certain suspicion that has permeated the wineries in Napa since we were last here. Not all customers are here to quaff the sampling at the wineries and quickly speed off to the next destination in search of a cheap buzz. You, the wineries, figured it out; charge us. I get that. But then after we pay be gracious. Offer a second taste for a comparison, or a different wine if our interests suggest it. After several "meh" experiences at other wineries (reserve and library tastings) we went to Del Dotto caves in Napa. Excellent on every level. Congenial, generous, interesting, engaged, accommodating, great setting, lovely wines; they have it all. Big shout out to Simon, our Kiwi host. He led a great tour and had obviously been given discretion to offer wines based on our group's interests and preferences. This rating is for the Napa location, but tomorrow we are driving to St Helena to pick up the wine we purchased today and sample some more. Fun, relaxed and informative; everything a tasting SHOULD be in Napa, but, sadly often is not.