“Amazingly Romantic in every way!”
Review of Inn St Helena

Inn St Helena
Ranked #2 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We recently stayed at the Ambrose Bierce House in St Helena. We came up for a wedding, and decided to stay the entire weekend to enjoy the town and breathtaking scenery. This is my second visit to this BEAUTIFUL town, and love it more and more every time I visit. The hospitality of the inn keepers, Carlos and Jenna, is PHENOMENAL. They are extremely knowledgeable, and have great tips for the surrounding wineries and restaurants. Everything is within walking distance, or a very short drive away. We have only had the priviledge of staying at the Ambrose Bierce House, but look forward to staying at the sister property of Shady Oaks Country Inn. We were able to take a mini tour and just loved it! Did I mention that they serve breakfast? YUMMY!! I think my mouth is still watering from the honeyed grapefruit and the homemade waffles! I felt like I was at home with a personal chef! I have recommended these prpoerties to all of our friends and family, and hope that they have a chance to experience and enjoy this place as much as we have. It is an amazingly romantic home that makes you feel like to never want to leave! They have really defined the true meaning of "rest and relaxation". =) I look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shannan71

Reviewed June 24, 2009

The wife and I booked this B&B for a short-notice one-nighter to the Napa Valley. We stayed in the Ambrose Bierce Suite which consists of a good-sized sitting room, good-sized bathroom and a small bedroom. The place met my first two requirements of very clean and quiet. This was only our third stay at a B&B but the bed was noticeably less soft than the previous two. That is really the only negative thing I can say. On the other hand, the breakfast at Ambrose Bierce beats the other two hands down! We started with fresh berries and bananas topped with a special creme fraiche then onto the best Belgian waffles I've ever had topped with a warm peach compote. These were served with a chicken and apple sausage, which was cooked perfectly. The whole meal was delicious. Ambrose Bierce House is in the center of St. Helena, which for anyone not familiar, is in the center of the Napa Valley. It is a great location with great food and I would not hesitate in recommending this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Tiny room! No refrigerator, no coffee maker in the room.
No fan in the bath room. Room with thin walls.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victor16
Reviewed March 1, 2009

My husband and I just returned from St. Helena and our stay at the Ambrose Bierce House. This was our second visit and it was just as nice as our first. We stayed in the Ambrose Bierce suite which was lovely. Two large rooms with a large bath in between. Lots of storage in the bathroom. Our bedroom was a perfect size. Carlos, the Innkeeper was a wondeul host. Our breakfast was delicious and he gave us a wonderful dinner idea ("Market"). We sat on the upstairs front porch and enjoyed the view. Carlos provided wine in the afternoon from a small local winery. If you're looking for a great B&B, stay here. It's only a short walk to all the downtown resturants and shopping!!!!

Reviewed April 21, 2008

We stayed at Ambrose Bierce House in the Ambrose Bierce 'suite' in early April. We loved the location and the suite (bedroom and sitting room separated by a large bath room). We used the sitting room as a second bedroom and the sofabed was perfectly comfortable. Loved having a suite with a fireplace, and the complimentary sherry and chocolates at night in your room is a nice touch! Rooms were very comfortable and the house, while small, is pleasant and restful.

John and LIsa were perfect hosts. We had good conversation over the wonderful breakfasts (best I've had in a B&B) and John and LIsa were both very helpful in providing local pointers and recommendations.

One of the strongest points is the location -- we could walk to Beringer and fine restaurants every night. The shops in St. Helena are interesting and fun. I would definitely go back. . .

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank KAROhio
Reviewed March 10, 2008

"We had such a wonderful weekend here! John, the owner, was a gracious host and a fabulous cook. Thanks for making our stay so memorable. We will be back!".

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Everything as promised and then some. Great location and great service!

Stayed: August 2007
#6 of 15 in Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Mount View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to Inn St Helena? Share your experiences!