“Had a wonderful experience at the Wine Country Inn”

Wine Country Inn & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Beaumont, Texas
“Had a wonderful experience at the Wine Country Inn”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My wife and I traveled to Napa Valley in April and stayed at the Wine Country Inn in St Helena. The Inn is set back off the highway in a vineyard so you feel like you are in the country. The landscaping around the Inn was bursting forth and smelling great. We splurged on a cottage room...Wow....it was as big as a house. Sitting area with fireplace, secluded patio off the sitting area, wet bar,refrig,cd/stereo (no TV so bring someone you want/need to talk to with you) and a HUGE bathroom with tub and walk in shower. The decor was fresh and clean..very nice. We had a full breakfast included every morning which was excellent..always some different dish. The eggs came from owner Jim Smith's chickens. Every evening at 4:30 we had hors d' oeuvres with the other guests with wine pourings provided by a local winery....VERY nice. We had not been to Napa before so we booked an Inn Cursion from the Inn. We were the only people on the tour with Tracy and she showed us a wonderful time taking us to several wineries off the beaten path before bringing us back to the Inn and preparing a wonderful lunch on the veranda. After lunch, we toured more wineries in the afternoon. We found the Inn to be very relaxing and all the staff were as friendly as we have ever experienced. They all appear to be having a great time doing what they do and this is passed on to the guests. We had some great dinners in local restaurants and arranged transport to/from the Inn for free! If you are looking for an upscale, relaxing vacation in the heart of Napa valley, you can't go wrong with the Wine Country Inn !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ltown9958

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I visited the Wine Country Inn with my girlfriend and had one of the most romantic weekends ever. The Wine Inncursion with Tracy was absolutely fabulous. She took us to the best wineries and made us an amazing lunch. All in all $215 for the day was an amazing value when the private limos we looked at were going to be over $400 for the day! We were gamblers and booked a traditional room in the main house, but arrived early and were upgraded to one of their beautiful cottages down on the vineyard! We didn't mind at all that they didn't have TVs in the room, and never even tried to use the wireless because we were having so much fun all the time. The evening wine service was a great experience, letting us taste some great wine, that I don't think we would've found on our own. Chef Guy and the girls in the kitchen were always so helpful and they put out an amazing breakfast every morning we were there. Death By Cheese is the best! For planning dinner and picking out our wineries (on the one day we went out by ourselves) everyone at the Front Desk was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We used the pool multiple times, once during the afternoon and once at night. During the day it was very quiet and relaxing, sitting down almost in the vineyards. At night the sky was filled with stars and very romantic!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelKaos
austin
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Don't trust what you read on the website or what they tell you on the phone when you book it. It is way overpriced and outdated. We were told they had wine companies come in every evening to do a wine tasting at the lobby. (not true) It was the manager with two bottles of wine. We were also told that they would drive you on a wine tour during the day, but since it was just me and my wife it would cost $215. No tv's or computers in the rooms or anywhere else. I will try to be fair the breakfast was pretty good. We inquired to the management and even met the owner but neither really cared, not even an apology. I read the reviews before we booked and honestly i don't know how they got them. For the price of the room I definately will not be going back or recommend it. Look somewhere else.
Jack

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jackray13
LoveToTravelFar, owner at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
I met Jack and his new wife at our afternoon wine social. They were sitting off to the side, avoiding eye contact. They looked like they might be upset. I noticed Jack was drinking a beer so I thought that would be a perfect opening line. Though we don’t normally serve beer at our social, I walked over and offered him one from our retail supply. When they found out I was the owner they started in with a rather large list of their grievances. I sat with them for about fifteen minutes trying to see how I could help. I listened with as much patience as possible as they insisted that we had deceived them when booking the room. They insisted that we had told them that we would tour them around the valley for free in our stretched Suburban. I suggested that they might have gotten that confused with our free Restaurant Shuttle to take them to dinner and back. No! They insisted that we promised them a free upgrade upon check-in. When I checked with the front desk it turned out we had offered them an upgrade but they had turned it down, liking the view from their original room better. I don’t remember them complaining about my Manager pouring wine, instead of a winery representative. Maybe that would have seemed too silly since he was drinking beer anyway and my manager had pulled wine from my personal cellar since we didn’t have a winery that night (plus my manager pours much more generously than anyone from a winery). It did concern me that maybe someone on my staff had misrepresented our services over the phone so I checked further. It turns out my manager of 18 years took their reservation and my son Mike checked them in and dealt with and meticulously documented all of their complaints. These are two highly trusted employees and I simply do not believe we deceived these folks in any way. Sometimes people just hear what they want to hear. In ending I will leave you with one final nugget. When reading through my son notes on these guests’ complaints he mentioned that they even complained about the downtown shops closing too early, leaving them with nothing to do on their honeymoon.
Walnut Creek
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We stayed at Wine Country Inn March 7th & 8th. We stayed in room 25 that had a two person hot tub on the patio that had awesome views of the hillside. We checked in at 3:00 and went right to the appetizers and wine tasting (which is included). They had several different dips, crackers, cheese, vegetables--it was very nice! We then ordered a bottle of champagne from the front desk (no room service) but wine and champagne available at the front desk is reasonably priced. The room was nice. Queen size bed, fireplace, nice amenities (including toothpaste, sewing kit) but no TV. We did go down to the pool area to check it out. The pool was heated (nice for March) but we didn't swim. I am definitely going back!

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stumbled on this inn and we're so glad we did. They treat their guests as family. They immediately upgraded our room to the honeymoon suite and we didn't even ask for it. They offer wine & heavy appetizers every afternoon, in fact they bring a different winery in every night. They serve an awesome breakfast in the mornings and they give you all of the recipes. They welcomed us with books on B&Bs and Wineries in the area. The staff are so friendly and really look like they love working there. The view from the honeymoon suite overlooks the vineyard, which is gorgeous. We had a wonderful fireplace too. It is centrally located to everything. Excellent, excellent, excellent. The only down side is no TVs in the room, but heck, do you go to Napa to watch TV?

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Jersey Shore
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I took my wife from the east coast to the west coast for our 10th wedding anniversary and found this on a "romantic Inn web site".. Boy were they on! St. Helena is beautiful to begin with, but this Inn was wonderful. The staff was very nice and accomadating. The cottages are expensive ($600/night), but if you can afford it... do it. Far and away the nicest hotel room I have ever been in. The fireplace, the 2 person tub the 2 person shower, wonderful sound system throughout.... pure romance. (And no TV helped!!)

The breakfast was very good, different each day, multiple nice, home cooked options. My wife has a gluten allergy which limits her diet and they were very accomadating, making her her own breakfast each day. The afternoon wine and food spread was shockingly elabroate. We did the wine tour with one of the ladies (I forgot the names, but all were wonderful) the tour was well worth the money, we went to vinyards you would never think of, we had personalized service at each one and it was great having someone else do the driving while you are drinking.

I can't recommend this place enough. During the same trip we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in San fran, which is supposedly one of the highest rated places in the country and my wife and I both did enjoy our time at that hotel as well, but we both thought The Wine Country Inn was was much nicer and the personal service was not to be beaten.

I have read the concerns about noise, but in the cottages, they are separate from each other, so there is none.. except for the noise you make yourselves. Spring for the cottages if you can, if not, I am sure the rest is nice as well. I will definitely be back the next time I go out to the west coast.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Mendocino, California
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We always stay at Select Registry Inns so our expectations were high. After 3 nights our expectations were exceeded!
Clean, fresh, squared away rooms, grounds and public areas. Wonderful amenities and extras. I particularly appreciated the seasoned firewood and with a modicum of fire building experience we enjoyed crackling fires each morning and evening. The breakfast room was always warm and well attended. The breakfasts themselves were top quality, and offered many choices including inventive hot dishes. Loved the fresh squeezed Cabernet juice from the vineyards right out the door. The inn has an inviting pool area with hot-tub and pleasant garden walks throughout the extensive property. Location was great - between St. Helena and Calistoga and just a stones throw from the Silverado Trail and some amazing wineries. Our wonderful innkeeper Deniese made sure we had day and evening plans and personal introductions to some of the best winery tours and tastings. The off-season rates provided great value at an underated time of year. The valley is beautiful in the fall and winter months! We'll stay here again and hopefully soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 30 in Napa
Vintage Inn
Vintage Inn
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Wine Country Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!