“Very pretty....but”

Wine Country Inn & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
“Very pretty....but”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The cottage is not good for more than 2 adults since it is more of a big studio with 2 beds, don't expect separate bedrooms. Bath is unnecessarily big, money better spent in making 2 distinct bedrooms. For an expensive inn Thayer ships case after case of wine for their guests, they couldn't give us an idea for shipping home a case. Every vintage could but not them. Then, when we found out the cost, it was triple what the vineyards were charging. SHIPPING WINE FROM HERE BEWARE

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank EJI40
LoveToTravelFar, Owner at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Well, thank you for giving us a nice score, but I am completely confused by your review. Our luxurious, romantic 8oo sq ft vineyard cottages ARE only designed for one couple and yes, the bathrooms are unnecessarily big, each with a heated tile floor, huge double vanity, three-headed walk-in, glass-block shower and two-person jetted tub complete with lighted stained glass window and stereo Bose speakers. If you came with more than two people and you wanted privacy, we would have been happy to rent you two beautiful fireplace rooms, and it probably would have been less expensive than one of our amazing cottages.

And, I'm sorry, what were you saying about shipping wine? We don't charge anything to help you ship wine. Zip! Zero! We have hunted around for the best shipper we could find ( price / reliability), have their shipping forms on hand, help you fill out the forms, call the company for their latest prices for each state, call the company back to arrange pick-up, and store your wine until it is picked up. And what was it again that we charge. That would be ZIP, ZERO. And we're happy to do it until someone accuses us of gouging them!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Some of the negative reviews I've read about this place, they just don't get it. This is a family owned inn. It is charming. This is a place where you actually have a really key, not a plastic card. This is a place where the staff gives you real advice, not what they have been encouraged to promote. This is a place where you feel welcome. The location is amazing and the price is right for the location. We have visited Napa Valley often. And of all the places we stayed (and many that we have loved) this is the place I will return to on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charwojo
LoveToTravelFar, Owner at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Wow, thanks for the great comments. I am glad you appreciate the little stuff we do that we feel sets us apart from other lodging experiences. Ya know, all that is on purpose, too. I just like real keys. I feel it is important to empower my staff to give their real opinions, not mimic mine. I even go so far as to encourage them to use their humor and have REAL interactions with our guests. It's a little risky, because sometimes folks aren't prepared for that (I have gone "oops" more than once when using my humor). But hey, can you imagine if everyone laughed more, felt empowered at work and developed real relationships with their customers!
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2011

On our first trip to Napa Valley, my partner and I stayed at Wine Country Inn for 6 nights and absolutely loved it! The staff is friendly, welcoming, and totally accommodating. The inn is romantic, charming, quaint, and has incredible food. Restaurant and winery suggestions were wonderful and the restaurant shuttle made getting to our dinner reservations so easy. The "Inn-cursion", with Marty Paradise, was a great addition to our itinerary--we were able to visit multiple wineries without having to worry about driving and were able to visit some of the smaller, boutique wineries we might have missed on our own. And a special mention regarding Janelle Jones, who drove us to the restaurants: she was like an instant friend to us and gave us wonderful restaurant suggestions. We can't wait to go back and spend time with her again!! Thanks to everyone at Wine Country Inn!! Carmen and Christine

Room Tip: Cottages right by the vineyards
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2manywines
philadelphia
Reviewed May 18, 2011

The location is perfect, the rooms are a bit shabby for the price, the breakfast/room/staff were decent but the reception-staff attitude leaves much to be desired. When I got to the desk at 3.15 PM, there were 2 women at the desk with their backs to the desk - neither of them anxious to greet. After finishing their activity on the computer, one of them turned around and perfunctorily asked, without a trace of welcome, "Can I help you". When I said I was there to check in, she first looked a the clock as if to make sure that it was after 3 PM and then turned on a "pleasant" demeanor. There was no hint of warmth or grace. The innkeeper needs to invest in hospitality training for the reception staff and update the rooms with a bit more cheer.

Room Tip: the website has exaggerated room descriptions
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dramchan
Dear Dramchan, thank you very much for your comments. Your reception was completely unacceptable. I will look into this immediately. It should not matter when you arrive for your room, whether it is 3:00 PM (our "official" check-in time) or 9:00 in the morning, your reception should be welcoming and gracious. It sounds like you got neither. Since almost all of my staff has been with me for many years (my most recent hire for the front desk was four years ago) they certainly know how I expect guests to be treated. As I say, I will look into this and see if a little pumping up is in order.
Charleston, SC
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The Wine Country Inn is a pleasant bed and breakfast inn in St. Helena, a town in the center of the Napa Valley. Each room is different, with good views of the gardens, vineyards and mountains beyond. A fine and varied breakfast is served each day, as well as a late afternoon wine reception with appetizers. The vineyards at these receptions vary, so you can do a wine tasting each day. The inn offers wonderful massages, too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mguerard
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed February 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a night on Feb 6th to tour wine country. We were upgraded to an awesome room that overlooked vineyards and had a great outdoor patio area. We were given a glass of wine and cheese's upon arrival. Our room had climate controlled heated tile in the bathroom...very nice! They also served us a big breakfast in bed. We used the outdoor pool and hot tub and they were great. The rooms here are very big with wood fireplaces and very charming. We would love to come back. This is our favorite hotel / inn that we have ever visited.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank strizzle
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This was our second stay at The Wine Country Inn and it will not be our last! The room was beautifully decorated, comfy bed, cozy love seat in front of the fireplace and a beautiful patio overlooking the vineyard. The staff is very helpful with suggesting wineries and restaurants. Breakfast was as yummy as I remembered. We shall return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 30 in Napa
Vintage Inn
Vintage Inn
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Wine Country Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!