“Napa Getaway”

Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay at this property. The rooms are wonderful and you have plenty of options as far as room types and cost associated. Most of the nicer rooms are single level with either garden views or vineyard views. The Harvest Inn has created an extremely serene environment throughout their property with plenty of walkways, redwoods, quiet pool areas, and main lodge area that has a wine tasting bar in the great room. The entire staff were friendly and attentive to any of our needs. I can't wait to return. We had a blast touring the wine country, dining, and golfing.

Room Tip: I paid a little more but really loved the rooms with the vineyard views. These rooms had private ou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Nice property in Saint Helena , we can expect a better quality of service for the price. Breakfast quite simple. May be in low season price is more reasonable ...
The area is quite and beautiful garden.
If you come from Europe bring your electric plug adaptor, hotel don t have any for you !

Room Tip: Rooms near small swimming pool with terrace in upper level are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dinosolo
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My step son and future daughter in law wanted to get married in wine country and their Manor suites seemed to be just what we were looking for. We chose two overlooking the vineyard to the south and we knew we had the found the place for the when the wedding day arrived. These suites are roomy and a bit rustic, two floors both with fireplaces. The grounds are beautiful but the staff... I haven't been able to bend over backwards like that since high school. As an example, after our 3rd stay it was the night of rehearsal and we got back around 1:00 AM. I needed coffee but didn't want to make a pot in the room so I went to the lobby to get some at the comp bar. They heard me come in the back door of this wonderfully huge lobby and came around the corner to see if I needed any assistance. I said "I just need a cup of coffee, I'm beat". The young man stopped me and said "I can't let you have that then". It was one of those large thermos decanters.

I asked, "Why? Is it too late?" He said: "No sir, I just don't think it will be very good and I would like to make you a fresh pot. I won't be but a couple minutes." And with that took the coffee pot and ran upstairs. I'd barely gotten comfortable in one of the big leather chairs when down he came with a fresh pot and asked if there was anything else he could help with.

That was the way all the staff was all the time, regardless of whether you were at the front desk, at the comp breakfast which is most definitely not plastic wrapped honey buns and frosted flakes. They offer a full on breakfast, assistance for virtually everything without asking, and it's very conveniently located at the east end of town.

It's not say a Bellagio as far as style and there's no room service for dining, with the exception of things like meat and cheese platters, fruit platters and those kinds of things which, I sampled both and they were great, especially with a little Chardonnay. But we certainly had the sense the staff there were glad t see us and hoped we'd be back again. One last thing, we used the spa late one night and I was headed up to my room, again well after midnight, before the kids. The Inn is a complex of different buildings with different room styles, tied together by well marked pathways through Ceder, Bamboo and Spruce trees. It was then I noticed one of several security staff, quietly walking the pathways and keeping an eye on things. At 6' 3" I was taller and outweighed him by 30lbs or more, but I don't think I would have enjoyed resisting him. In other words, their security staff made you feel they could handle security.

We Received some comp tickets at Merryvale Winery just down the road recently. When we can all go, we'll be staying at the Harvest Inn again, no question.

Room Tip: The "Manor" building has the two floor suites overlooking the vineyards and facing south...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank W Greg R
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a spa vineyard room. First impressions were great - the room was so generous with a huge stone fireplace dominating a good seating area with a massive bed, desk, tables etc. Bathroom very well appointed and loads of storage space. Outside a real delight - our own decking with a good sized hot tub, overlooking the vines and hills beyond.

The aspect of these rooms is just perfect and they are definately the best ones in the hotel. The hotel itself has the feel of a country house in England, lots of wood carving and brick, with very well kept gardens. Our walk to the breakfast room was a delight every day - even in the rain!

Breakfast is a little unusual - a bit like someone has put brunch on for a load of house guests, but it works well with the general ambience of the place, and is very relaxed. Don't expect bacon and eggs - but what you do get is very wholesome and plenty of choice. There are warm options as well as cold.

You can get wine and cheese from the hotel service (no 'proper' restaurant) but there are fantastic supermarket/deli/sandwich shops just down the road in St Helena, and we stocked up there with loads of goodies to enjoy on our deck. We also ordered in Pizza one night and they brought it right to the room.

I will do a separate review but do try the Market Restaurant in St Helena - the best meal we had in the whole of our road trip around California. We used Ken Slavens at St Helena Wine Tours to drive us there and a couple of other places - highly recommend his services, especially nice to driven in a Jaguar - beautiful car!

We also toured some wineries with Designated Drivers as recomended by the hotel. Our driver (who drove our own hire car) Jill was charming, helpful and very relaxed. I would recommend using the services of these firms - it makes all the difference, you can swallow, not spit!

The Inn is in a great spot for exploring the area, but it is quite a walk back into St Helena, so you should plan to drive or be driven to anywhere meaningful from this base. That said it was an absolutely lovely place to stay in a wonderful setting right by the vines.

Room Tip: Splash out (get it?!) on the hot tub - you're worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank martinwilliams10
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Harvest Inn this past weekend and could not have picked a better hotel. The staff (Kristin in particular) was very helpful in accommodating my group of 8 people during a very busy time in Napa. She not only ensured I had rooms near eachother with enough beds to fit us all, as well as helping find as many possible discounts/promotions to make this hotel more affordable.The grounds are beautiful and it was wonderful to have a complementary breakfast which was enjoyed while overlooking the vineyard. The location is great and within walking distance from the main strip (bars, restaurants, shopping) in St. Helena.

A wonderful and relaxing experience that I cannot wait to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank StaceyNYC
dgreene23, General Manager at Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear StaceyNYC,

Thank you!
Kristen be happy to hear that you found her assistance helpful. All of our staff work hard to make sure each guests’ stay is to or beyond their satisfaction.
We also love that you enjoyed the grounds, with the lush greenery and seasonal flowers.

Thank you again so very much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I choose the Harvest in for our vacation/wife's birthday based on what I had seen on Trip Advisor. The very least I can say is that the Harvest Inn is the only place we will ever stay again when we go to this area and we will be back next year. The rooms were fantastic, the service was awesome, the people are so friendly and the atmosphere is laid back and beautiful! The breakfast on the patio was one of my favorites and the food was outstanding. All of the people that work there are very friendly and willing to please in every way, my hat's off to the manager for making the Harvest Inn our destination again and again.

Room Tip: Try one of the Vineyard view rooms, a perfect place to enjoy an evening with a good bottle of wine!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Steve S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a fabulous review. We truly appreciate it!

The wine country breakfast is a great way to begin any day of wine tasting or relaxation, or startyour last morning before heading home. The patio overlooking the vineyards is a treat.

It’s a pleasure to get to be in such a lovely property, so we love hearing that our staff conveyed that happiness to you during your stay.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a hard time finding a room for the weekend and another hotel suggested this to us. Great choice! So easy to get anywhere from here and the room is lovely.. Just had the large buffet breakfast sitting on the patio and a walk through the gardens and surrounding vineyard on the way back to the room. So relaxing.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear DOGtales,

We are very thankful that you were referred join us at Harvest Inn and enjoyed your stay.
Our convenient location to wineries and restaurants makes us a great place for enjoying the area. The patio at breakfast gives unparalleled views to enjoy the beginning of your day.

Please think of us again when you visit Napa Valley. We would love to welcome you back to harvest Inn!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#3 of 6 in Yountville
Las Alcobas, Napa Valley
Las Alcobas, Napa Valley
#3 of 9 in St. Helena

Been to Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer? Share your experiences!