“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Arlington, Virginia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Harvest Inn for a weekend away with girlfriends. We stayed for three nights and I will never stay there again. It was a huge disappointment and way too expensive for what it was. The rooms and facilities were very dated and not well maintained. There were disgusting stains on the floor in the bathroom. The closest was so small and had some odd hump- that I could not hang my dresses (which were all knee length.) The staff was incredibly rude and unaccommodating. Here are a few examples of our interactions with the staff:
(1) Prior to our arrival, I noticed that the confirmation that the hotel had sent had the wrong rate for one of the two rooms that we booked. The difference per room was only $15 per night, but I wanted to correct the error. I proceeded to have a series of phone and email conversations with hotel staff to correct the error during which they treated me with incredible rudeness. At first, staff told me that the lower rate was an error and that the higher rate would apply to both rooms. Then, after I balked, she insisted that I provide documentation of the lower rate. Finally, after multiple exchanges and after I forwarded back to them the emails that they had sent to me with the lower rate, they honored the agreed upon rate. I was so shocked that a hotel would harass a guest so much for a $15 rate difference when we were paying over $400 per night for the rooms.
(2) There were no parking spots one afternoon when we arrived at the hotel to change quickly before our dinner reservation. The front desk staff at first told us that we could leave the keys and they would valet the car for us. Then, as we were doing this, the front desk manager yelled at us and told us that we could not park there and they could not accept our keys. He insisted that we would have to find an available spot. We were paying for two rooms and had one car. There should have been a spot for us. In any event, after much circling and waiting, we finally found a spot and then were screamed at by a valet because parking was for hotel guests only. We had to show him our keys to get him to relent.
(3) One night when we returned to the hotel from dinner, the driveway to the hotel was blocked by a giant bus. We had to back up and wait half an hour until they managed to maneuver the bus out of the hotel. The valet brought us a bottle of wine and snacks to apologize, but it was clear that it came from his pocket.
(4) On one of the nights there was supposed to be a complementary wine and cheese tasting. We arrive 5 minutes after the event was supposed to begin and were yelled at by the server that they no longer had any glasses. We suggested that he get more glasses and he grumbled and finally did. He then poured us the last of the bottle of wine for the evening, only enough for two glasses which we shared between the three of us. After this debacle, we wandered over to the cheese area to discover that there was no cheese remaining. We inquired whether they would be replenishing the supply and were told no.
(5) During breakfast, the weight staff was incredibly rude. Every interaction that I had with them was unpleasant. For example, I asked where the bathroom was and was yelled at. For example, I told them that the coffee thermos was empty and got yelled at. It was incredibly unpleasant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ta1219
dgreene23, General Manager at Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear TA1219:
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay at the Harvest Inn. I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you in order to address these issues with our staff. These types of issues are disconcerting and I would like to address these immediately. It is always our intention to provide the very best in service and hospitality.

I do hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Debbie Greene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Harvest Inn to celebrate a 30th wedding anniversary. It was a location and Inn that was on our "bucket list" as who knows what tomorrow brings! We found the Inn to be everything we had hoped for and more with beautiful gardens/walkways and an entire staff that was welcoming, polite, helpful and gracious. While there may be other places to stay in the St. Helena/Calistoga area, I could not recomend this Inn more than to say, if you want a truly quiet, romantic inn with people who truly care about how you feel and your accomadations, do not hesitate to stay at this Inn. We are hopeful that someday in the future we will be able to return to such a wonderful site.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and treat yourself to the Vineyard room with a spectacular site of a vineyard ev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Claire:
Thank you for choosing the Harvest Inn and taking the time to write your review. It is such an honor to be included in your Bucket List and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to the opportunity to see you again should your travels bring you back to the Napa Valley. We wish you all the best!
Debbie Greene
Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The property was suggested to us from the Napa downtown tourist info center. They set up the reservation at a last minute rate, and we loved it so much we added an extra night's stay. Great location, service, breakfast, room with fireplace. We loved it and looking forward to another trip in the future !

Room Tip: You are able to have your included breakfast delivered to the room for a minor charge. It was fanta...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at the Harvest Inn for a friends birthday celebration. I wish we went stayed somewhere else. The location was great and the grounds were nice but felt a bit dated (although, they were well kept - just the style of gardens was a bit 1980's....). Things that we weren't aware of when we booked that you should be aware of: breakfast is mediocre. It is a buffet style with the usual suspects (cereal, oatmeal, some fruit, yogurt, etc.). Nothing about the breakfast was special or particularly delicious - it just got the job done. If you were hungry, you could eat and your hunger would be satisfied. If you wanted something special (homemade granola, homemade yogurts or jam, etc., etc.) - go elsewhere. Same goes for the accommodation - if you want a clean bed and room - it is fine. If you want that added 'something' (i.e. unique bathroom products, extra fluffy towels or a steam shower, etc., etc.) - go elsewhere. My biggest gripe is that we paid an extortionant amount for our room - when I enquired (it was an ok room, but definitely NOT worth what we paid!) I was told that I had booked a 'package'. Fair enough - my mistake - be warned - DON'T BOOK THE PACKAGE. I also thought the whole hotel - rooms, grounds, etc. were very 80's and needed a make-over but was told that it had been recently refurbished. Not the worst place, but given the massive choice in the area - there are definitely better options.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kcbf
Bayport, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Harvest Inn which was convienently located on Route 29 in the heart of St. Helena. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The room was spacious but the beds were very soft and have seen better days. Also the lighting was a bit dark in the room. The bathroom was clean, nice shower and large bathroom overall. Pools were ok, as was hot tub but one of the pools looked like it hadn't been cleaned that day. Breakfast was very good and plenty to choose from and views from the Country kitchen were wonderful. The Rose Garden looked like it was dying and some of the plantings were wilting and dying as well. Overall a nice place to stay but definitely overpriced for what we got.

Room Tip: If you can get to stay here at a reasonable rate its worth it. Rooms toward back are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We only stayed at the Harvest Inn for one night, would have liked to stay longer. The room was well-sized and well-appointed. We were located very close to one of the two pools but the room was still quiet. We liked the half-bottle of wine and other refreshments in the room, a nice touch. The grounds are quite lovely, as are the views. We didn't get a chance to use either of the pools but they looked inviting. The location was good, we were able to walk in to St Helena.
Breakfast was fine, not amazing but fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoBackpacking
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

It was my friend's 40th birthday, so being the good friend I am, I booked us four nights at the Harvest Inn. When we arrived my heart melted. Check in was located in the quaintest cottage I have ever seen. As we walked to our room I felt like I was in a fairy tail. The cobblestone path wove in between the beautiful lush foliage and flowers. We had a room overlooking the vineyard, a huge stone fireplace & hot tub outside. Awaiting our arrival was a bottle of champaign and a box of handmade chocolates from the local chocolatier. Our deck opened to the vineyards. We were right on the edge of them and what a site they were.

We had the country breakfast each morning and it was good. The Day we arrived there was a complimentary wine & cheese tasting the wine flowed freely but there wasnt enough fruit & cheese. But we were still happy with our wine.

The only negative thing i can say is that I wasn't too impressed with my massage. Think i will skip the spa service next time

Our room was expensive per night, but totally worth it Overall a great experience and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2012
Napa Valley Lodge
Napa Valley Lodge
#3 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,262 reviews

Been to Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer? Share your experiences!