“Best in Sacramento”

Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Best in Sacramento”
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

The location of this Westin has to be the best in all of Sacramento. On the river and looking across at a yacht harbor surrounded with palm trees. A real oasis!!! The Scott's Seafood Restaurant is great and the outside sitting area is wonderful.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank LOCheydog
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The words used in the title of the review speaks for itself. We do our very best to provide outstanding service companied with a fantastic location. Our spot is a small retreat, we get a lot of locals that stay for the weekend because it feels like they have travelled to a land far away. I thank you for your kind words and we will continue to strive to make our property a true "oasis". We look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I don't frequent Westins (it's a chain thing - I avoid them) but I needed a room in Sacramento and the town was virtually sold out. Through the Sheratin SPG program I was able to book a room at the Westin. While not "downtown" as I'd have preferred, it is quite a charming hotel on the river just out of town. If I were on a romantic getaway (no I wouldn't go to Sacramento) but if I were on a romantic getaway in Sacramento...I would book a riverfront room here!!! It's as simple as that.

It doesn't look or feel like a Westin, but the service and amenities are all Westin and unlike most Westin's a great value!

Room Tip: I only stayed one night, but it was worth it to me to get a room that was on the river side with a b...
1 Thank SuretyPro
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you very much for the review. I understand how chains of any kind can be a little impersonal, at the Westin Sacramento we began as an independent property and many of the people are still here so we offer the personal hospitality approach. I am glad that you enjoyed our property even though we are a Westin. And yes if you are ever on romantic getaway in Sacramento, the Westin Sacramento is the place to be as romance on the river is almost unbeatable in this town. Again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to your next stay.
Waverly, Iowa
Reviewed November 23, 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! The hotel and location are beautiful, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are huge and very clean, with large bathrooms and the beds are very comfortable! Great bar and restaurant next door, and beautiful pool area. Would stay here again if ever back in Sacramento!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you very much for this review. Everything you have written in your review is everything we stand for as a hotel, we could not be more pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. The Westin Heavenly beds do speak for themselves and we employ people that are courteous and friendly. We are all very thankful that you have written this review we look forward to your next visit to Sacramento.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I always trust Westin Hotels and they never let me down. This hotel was recently remodeled and they did an excellent job of expanding the rooms, adding comfortable furniture pieces, the deep sunken tub and the westin shower heads. Everything was of course clean, and I'm an OCPd freak about cleanliness. Service was attentive, valet was at the ready and the housekeeping keeps the rooms stocked and super clean. I would ask for a room not over or near the front of the hotel as you hear everything from the valet, baggage and people coming in and out. Other than that very minor incident, this is a great stay, especially for business.

Room Tip: Do not settle on a room above the front of the hotel. You will hear the valet and baggage people ta...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review!!! We are thankful for your loyalty with Westin and we are glad that we have met your expectations. The renovations to the rooms are all not quite done, rest assured that the soaking tubs will not be removed however the rooms will recieve some updating in the coming months. Again, thank you for taking the time to write the review and we look forward to you next visit with us.
Chico, California
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Westin. Beautiful location on the Sacramento River, great room overlooking
the river. Also had dinner next door at Scott's Seafood, excellent food and waitstaff.
Special thanks to Tommy Mims, director or Guest Services, he went out of his way to make sure
every part of my stay was a great experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you very much for this review. Tommy is the epitome of guest services and I will be sure to share this review with him and watch as the smile takes over his face. We do our very best to make guests feel the way you did about our hotel. Our goal is to have guests leave feeling better than when they arrived and I am very happy that we were able to accomplish this with you. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the Tripadvisor faithful and we look forward to your return stay.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I San Francisco residents chose this location for our third trimester babymoon. We felt very welcome on our arrival as the hotel left us a letter congratulating us on our coming baby. We arrived just after 8pm and there was a nice turn down service with chocolates. Although we ended up not using the valet during our two-night stay they were always quite friendly and attentive to us. Front of the hotel service was brilliant.

The meh: The Pool: I specifically chose this Westin because it advertises a heated pool. I even double-checked to confirm. We had stayed at the Westin in Napa in July that also offered a heated pool, so we were expecting similar. When we first used the pool it was pretty cold. The engineering staff had confirmed with one of the staff that the pool was heated to "room temperature" or Starwood standard of approximately 75 degrees. It was really more like 60, maybe 65 degrees. As we forced ourselves to enjoy the pool in an attempt to maximize the 80 degree air temps, we watched as other singles and couples jumped in the pool and were shocked at how cold it was. They quickly left while we soldiered on--dipping into the jacuzzi first then going back to the pool. Would have preferred comfortable temps right away, of course.

Staff Communication: Since ownership recently turned over, there seems to be a lot of miscommunication between the staff. For example, although my husband put down his card for amenities when we arrived and we added his name to the reservation, once when he ordered drinks at the pool the waiter told him that he was yelled at by the a manager for letting him "steal" drinks on someone else's room! Yet, I never heard from the staff that someone was mischarging to my room. Also, when I went for my prenatal massage they had my name completely wrong--not even my name at all!--at the reservation desk despite the fact that I was a guest at the hotel. They also failed to give me all of the required paperwork and asked me to stick around after my massage to fill all of this out--NOT what I want to do while I want to be relaxing. So there are clearly some wrinkles to iron out here. The massage was wonderful, however, and the spa facility while small is nicely appointed with a private jacuzzi and lounge area for spa guests. I would go for another spa treatment here.

Finally, and this was something that really bothered me since I am veteran of the service industry. There seems to be a disconnect between the restaurant that provides room service food and the staff that work there. Our first night, we were thrilled to see a kindof exciting menu for room service. This menu was in our room in a Westin binder that looked fairly new. However, when we called, the girl who answered the phone (a) couldn't answer our simple questions about the menu, i.e. what's in this salad (she couldn't name one specific vegetable) or how many pieces in this appetizer? and (b) we soon discovered that the menu we were ordering from did not match what was available. The woman on the phone had no explanation for this and proceeded to reel off what was available. I asked her if someone could send up menus. I had to call the front desk to get menus. They came up promptly, but it still took twice as long to get our food because we had to call back and ask for a specific person and double-check again that everything was actually available. The food was okay. Like all hotel restaurants... it is a bit pricey for what it is. I think it would have tasted better if we didn't have to go through so much just to get an order in.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Westin Sacramento. We got a river view room (junior suite) with a gas fireplace which is highly recommended (so I can't comment on highway noise from the other side). One thing about the river rooms is that the restaurant dining patio also faces the river, so you want to avoid river rooms above the restaurant. We could see the restaurant but we were far enough away to not be bothered by the evening diners. The bed was great and the bathroom was gorgeous with its Italianate charm. There was a claw foot tub and the heavenly shower, too. I usually go for a Westin hotel if possible, and beside the above mentioned kinks, this was a decent experience. Once they hammer things out, I'm sure it will be great.

Room Tip: Go for the River View away from the Restaurant Noise. King Junior Suites are nice with fireplace and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpicyB
Thank you for writing this review. I am happy to know that there was "lots of wonderful" with your stay. I have shared your review with Spa Lale and Scott's Seafood to see where and how the disconnect came about. I am glad that you did not let that ruin your stay. Please note that this is not typical as more often that not the spa and restaurant are great communicators with each other and within their perspective teams. Congratulations on the baby!!! Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is located away from downtown, you drive through a mostly residential neighborhood to get there. It is a nice looking building, nicely landscaped and clean. The staff was really friendly, courteous and helpful. There was a problem with my reservation (i booked it through my company travel website and for some reason the reservation was cancelled) which was probably not the fault of the hotel however they gave me a nice room anyways. The room had a king bed and a small living room area. it was separated from the sleeping area by a wall unit with a built-in fireplace with glass doors so you could see through from one area to the other. The Westin Heavenly bed was terrific as always. Although there were flat screen TVs in both areas, the one in the living area had a much clearer/sharper picture, the reception on other one was not as good. I ordered room service for breakfast which came quickly and met expectations. There isn't much to the lobby - although it has seating with comfy sofas. There looks like there would be a bar, but it did not look open when i checked in at night or in the morning. Some of the rooms face the river, which is probably a nice view. There is also outside seating on a deck area overlooking the river. that is probably what all the hotels charge. I would recommend this hotel if you want something quiet, close to but not right in the heart of downtown. Also if you like Starwood properties, this is probably the best choice in Sacramento. It was a pretty good value, comparable to other similar hotels in the area. Parking was a bit expensive (I used the valet, not sure if there is a self-park option) but .

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the river
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Elliott W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our goal as a staff is to be friendly and as welcoming as possible to each guest, I am happy we were able to accomplish this with you. We are still a relatively new Westin property so there a changes to the lobby and some public areas coming soon, so stay tuned for that. Again, thank you for reviewing us and we look forward to your return.