“This hotel is *good*”

GreenLeadersBronze level
El Cerrito, California
“This hotel is *good*”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

So I wish there was a *good* ranking. Instead I'm forced to choose between average and very good. I decided to go with average, because there were a couple things about the hotel that need addressing.

First: The Very good. The lobby is pleasant, check in was fast, every staff member was helpful and attentive. The self-parking (I'm cheap) was a walk of 60-80 yards maybe. They had golf carts roaming the parking lot to ferry people back and forth which was heaven sent in this summer heat. The bathrooms are really large and the bathtubs (separate from the shower) are new claw-footed monstrosities of awesome. Seriously, they are sooooo deep and wonderful. Everything was very clean.

The good: I did not have a river view so my room faced the freeway (cheap remember). My room got plenty of light and I didn't hear any excessive freeway noise. The rooms are average size, with a flat screen TV and free mini-fridge, plus a pretty comfortable bed with nice linen. The restaurant food was perfectly decent, and the staff even fixed one of my colleagues up a snack after they had closed for the night.

The not-so-great. The air conditioner bangs every time it comes on or shuts off. This was true of my colleagues rooms as well. They all mentioned AC noise and a couple of us were woken up by it. Valet felt to pricey for the location at $22/day especially since the self-parking can fill up and guests may not have an option but to valet. A couple of people mentioned some freeway noise, so if you're a light sleeper it might be an issue. Although if you're a light sleeper the AC (in summer) would probably be a problem.

If Westin quiets the AC I'd probably rate them as *very good*. All that said, I'd stay there again for business, but I might bring ear plugs if its summertime.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you mermaidit, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out some of our positve amenities and the issues you experienced during your stay. I apologize for the issues you faced with the AC noise. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay with us any better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We travel with Starwood hotel system as much as possible. This is deemed a premium hotel and does fit the bill. Lovely location that feels secluded. River views are great and the lobby, while seeming very vacant, is a beautiful venue. Scots seafood restaurant was busy and had a good wait staff for happy hour. We had trouble on our floor with young adults partaking in the merriments of life, but as the smoke level grew noticeable, security took care of the issue. I do think this was an unusual situation, but they did respond before it got too out of hand.

Do have to note that the carpet seems dark in spots ( as noted before). This seems less than the quality of rates/ points vein charged. Is is dirt, or a weird shadow issue? Nonetheless, not a good show for high end rates.

Room Tip: Riverside away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you scvgal, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out some positive aspects such as our beautiful location. I apologize for the issues you encountered but I am delighted that we were able to respond in a timely manner. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
huntington beach, ca
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel one night on our way home from a houseboat trip at Lake Shasta. Needless to say, we were ready for hot showers and luxury and we were not disappointed! The rooms had all the expected Westin comforts plus a footed tub and rain shower heads (or something like that which impressed my kids and husband , I liked the tub!). We didn't have any turn down service as another post implied, but, we got there after 6 pm and we used our SPG points for a standard room. The only gripe I have is that we didn't have a door separating our toilet room from the rest of the bathroom.
We enjoyed our dinner at Scotts and the ambience and service were great! I wish we had more time there to enjoy the location along the river!
I have to give this establishment kudos for how nice and accommodating the staff were. I called for reservations only an hour before we arrived with no problems using our SPG points. I was hesitant to stay here as we had a U Haul trailer, a dog, and looked pretty roughed up since we were coming back from a boat trip at Lake Shasta! (with temps of 111 degrees F.) But, no one made us feel unwelcome and the valet was very accommodating as we got our things together. We could not self park unless we unhitched the trailer (which we didn't want to do) but we never fuss over resort or valet charges when using our SPG points!
We definitely will be looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you justthefactshb, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out some positive aspects of the hotel from our wonderful bathroom amenities to our accommodating valet staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you and your family again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

It's always important to review things in context. For a Westin, this is about as good as it gets anywhere. The architecture is beautiful, the lobby is very nice, and the location is convenient. Wifi is free (as it should be, but often isn't). The rooms are a bit dark since the window(s) are rather small, but they're very comfortable.

Most noticeably, all the staff I interacted with was nicer than I would expect at this kind of hotel. From the person who drives you from the parking lot to reception in a golf cart to the bell staff - they were all excellent, friendly, and genuine. I hope the hotel can sustain this level of quality going forward.

You can tell that whoever built this hotel wants to make it a good one. And it really is.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you Lily33532, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel such as the atmosphere and our friendly associates. I am delighted that you enjoyed everything during your visit here in Sacramento. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I selected this hotel because it was not downtown and seemed like a good base for meeting up with family in the area. there are many restaurants and retail centers within a short drive. When we arrived, the bell staff explained the connections to biking/hiking trails along the river. It's a scenic place to exercise, and the hotel has chairs and fire pits overlooking the river. The pool and fitness center are nice, too. I would recommend you request a room with a view of the river as you will also get a balcony. Rooms on the other side don't have these amenities. Our room was comfy, but little things irritated me...the self parking was full so we had to pay for valet service; the ironing board cover was lumpy and made it impossible to press my dress properly; only two servings of cream were provided for the strong coffee. I am sure the staff would have addressed these concerns if I had raised them, but I was short on time when I discovered them. Our room featured a large bathroom with separate tub and shower and the typical Westin amenities. Overall, a pleasant place to stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you svd92708, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out some of the issues you experienced during your stay. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay with us any better.
Petaluma
Reviewed July 17, 2013

When my daughter got married here and her Rehearsal Dinner was at Scott's, most of the the wedding party stayed here. It was still LERIVAGE and the staff and accommodations were First Class. We have stayed here many times since, because it was always like a mini vacation. On our own 32nd Anniversary, we decided to stay here and enjoy a "Standard of Excellence" we had come to expect. I had made the reservation earlier in the week and was so excited to surprise my wife. On the day of arrival, we enjoyed a late dinner and got there around 8:00PM. We live about 2 hours away from this hotel so we were ready to sit back and enjoy. When we checked in, they didn't give us a room I requested looking at the river, but tried to cram us in a 104 degree room facing the parking lot like we wouldn't notice. When confronting the front desk. we were informed something about some nonsense about not giving out free upgrades. (???) , and that they had over booked and sent many people home. What a difference a new owner makes. We packed up, drove home and ruined our 32 Anniversary. We got home after 10:00 PM.
One last note, I contacted them on all the discrepancies and they ignored it and never heard from them again.. Word to the wise, if you have to go here, confirm, reconfirm, and then get in writing your confirmation and then just pray they honor it when you get there. Westin is a lousy organization. They have ruined a beautiful getaway for us. I hope they sell soon.

Room Tip: Do not accept their word on your reservation, reconfirm it and get in writing. They are a profit fir...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave A
Thank you Dave A, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out some of the issues you experienced during your stay. I apologize for the issues you faced with the reservation, room tempature and overall not meeting your expectations as a new Westin property. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay with us any better.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I just spent the weekend at Westin on Riverside and noticed the room and hotel was nicely and comfortably decorated. However there were a few issues that made me question whether or not we would ever return. Note, the only room available was a handicap accessible room.
1) Air conditioner was very loud and literally boomed every time it turned on. As such, it woke us up constantly throughout the night.
2) Due to accessible room, every time we showered, the water would virtually flood the bathroom floor. There seemed no way around it.
3) Loud, loud, Loud. I could hear neighbors talking while I stood in bathroom. Sound was traveling quite well through the vent. Also, the neighboring door thundered each time it closed shut. Lastly, upstairs stomping sounds come through loud and clear.

If this were a 2 or 3 star hotel I guess you could expect these issues but at a 4 star hotel with rates exceeding $200 per night, one should not have to tolerate all these annoyances.

In short, I would rate this more of a 3 1/2 rather than 4.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you RLFlynt, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out some of the issues you experienced during your stay. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay with us any better. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again.