“Minor issues yet significant.”

The Westin Sacramento
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Minor issues yet significant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I just spent the weekend at Westin on Riverside and noticed the room and hotel was nicely and comfortably decorated. However there were a few issues that made me question whether or not we would ever return. Note, the only room available was a handicap accessible room.
1) Air conditioner was very loud and literally boomed every time it turned on. As such, it woke us up constantly throughout the night.
2) Due to accessible room, every time we showered, the water would virtually flood the bathroom floor. There seemed no way around it.
3) Loud, loud, Loud. I could hear neighbors talking while I stood in bathroom. Sound was traveling quite well through the vent. Also, the neighboring door thundered each time it closed shut. Lastly, upstairs stomping sounds come through loud and clear.

If this were a 2 or 3 star hotel I guess you could expect these issues but at a 4 star hotel with rates exceeding $200 per night, one should not have to tolerate all these annoyances.

In short, I would rate this more of a 3 1/2 rather than 4.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you RLFlynt, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out some of the issues you experienced during your stay. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay with us any better. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

At first glance this property looks like a luxury timeshare or apartment complex on the Sacramento river. But look more closely and seeing the giant Westin sign I knew I was home! Everything is very new feeling. Chris the front office agent even offered to book us a reservation for dinner at the attached restaurant! He said they are one of the smaller Westin properties which makes for a very boutique feel. SPG members can be very loyal and this property will surely impress even the most discerning guests. I'll be back next time I'm in the area for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kekai_Cone
Katy K, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you Kekai_Cone, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel such as the loyalty we have to our SPG guests. I am also delighted that Chris was able to make your stay all the more special. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed over a weekend and the stay was just awesome. Great hotel. Friendly people. Great food. The rooms are well appointed and the location next to the river was just awesome. This hotel is a little gem. Thanks for the great stay!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Jason305, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out some positive aspects of the hotel from our location to the great service. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

This French chateau of a hotel, recently taken over by Westin, is excellent. Because of the surrounding foliage and location on the river you would not know you were in Sacramento, yet, it is within 3-5 minutes of downtown. From the minute you walk into the Reception area, smelling the signature White Tea Westin fragrance, you know you are in friendly territory. All the excellent ratings of this hotel are well deserved. We checked in for our anniversary even though we live within 20 miles of the hotel, but, we wanted to do something special. We especially enjoyed the jacuzzi in the evening and sitting by the fire pits on the river after dinner.
We ate dinner at Scott's Seafood, which does all the food and beverage service for the restaurant and is on the first floor of the hotel. We were happy with our dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday morning. We will make this an annual anniversary event, that is, until my husband decides to take me to the south of France for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view of the river or a balcony as the rooms on the river did. Perhaps it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you mesingh, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out the many amenities our new Westin property has to offer. I wish you both a Happy Anniversary and look forward to your future stays with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel on the Sacramento River. The customer service is top notch and there is someone to open every door at every opportunity. The rooms are elegantly appointed with extremely comfortable beds, a large claw foot tub in the bathroom and Westin robes to lounge around in. Only 5-10 minutes from downtown Sacramento and more than worth the short drive to be in such a quality and relaxing hotel

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you Mickfamily, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. We value your posting and thank you for pointing out the superior service our amazing associates were able to provide and our top notch amenities. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights while attending a meeting. It has just recently changed to a Westin, with all the appropriate rebranding. It's a lovely setting, right on the river, although a little out of the way for any Sacramento attractions. It's close to the freeway, but my room faced that direction and I didn't hear a thing.

The staff was very friendly and attentive, and my room was excellent. Lots of little extras like robes. The bathroom had a claw-foot tub that I didn't use, since the corner walkin shower was so nice. Somewhat European, with better water pressure. I had breakfast In the restaurant both mornings, and it was very good and reasonably priced for a full menu. Even the in-room coffee (Starbucks) was good!

A side benefit for short stays was the Green Choice option. If you can make your own bed for a couple of days, you get a voucher for $5 at the restaurant for each day you decline housekeeping.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank WyomingCooboy
Thank you WyomingCooboy , for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the location to the amazing bathroom amenities. I am happy you took advantage of the Make A Green Choice program and conserved all of your houskeeping services. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is the third time my honey and I have stayed at this hotel in the past few years. We have seen lots of change and it has been for the betterment of the guests. During our most recent stay the hotel was changing to the new Westin Sacramento which I view as a positive because of adding the resources of a first class parent company. The outdoor pools were being upgraded, a comfortable deluxe mattress was changed in every room, and all of the staff were exceptional during the changeover.

Because I travel the world, stay in lots of nice properties, have written over 100 Trip Advisor reviews on hotels in the past few years, I believe I have a reasonable prospective of how to rate hotels. The Westin is a five minute drive from downtown Sacramento , which is a major positive, because the hotel can provide excellent security on the site. The parking area is a short stroll from the hotel because of the property's configuration, which is great because the parking is free (a shuttle service is provided from the free area or valet parking is available at the front door of the hotel for a nominal charge). The restaurant, Scott's Seafood, is on the site and supports the hotel's guests and is independently owned.

This property is very unique in Sacramento because of its location next to the river and needs explanation of my five star rating. First, the service is first class from the valet parking attendant, to the friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable front desk staff, to the nightly turn-down service with a piece of classy chocolate on my pillow, to the hotel's location. The rooms on the river side offer a relaxing view of the amenities of the Sacramento River. The beds are first class and provide a comfortable night's sleep. The bathrooms are over sized and the soaps and bath salts are the best. A free newspaper was delivered to my door every morning. These are some of the services I expect when I give a five star rating.

A few Trip Advisor reviewers have given low ratings to this hotel. It is interesting to me that most of the lower raters have only written a few reviews and think Trip Advisor is their forum to express themselves. I regularly use Trip Advisor to help me choose lodging and usually find the information accurate and helpful. I also believe if I use Trip Advisor, I should contribute by writing reviews of all the hotels I use, not just the ones I did not like.

In summary, I believe the Westin Sacramento has only bright days in its future. The support from the parent company will only make a great hotel exceptional and most of the high quality staff have continued through the transition. I look forward to my next visit to Sacramento and we will definitely stay at the Westin.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the river offer a great view. The Tuscany Suite on the north end of the hotel is roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you ronvoyage, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Sacramento. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the location to the first class service you received during your stay. As a new Westin, we look forward to growing into the Starwood family. We value your review and only hope we continue to be the Starwood property of choice for anyone visiting Sacramento. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.