Governors Inn Hotel
$144
$121
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsplantation shutterscontinental breakfastyogurtacross the streetroom was largeceiling fanclose to downtownhomeless peopleold towntv channelsgas stationwaffle makereasy accessparking lotfree shuttlemini fridgeking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Accomodations were average. Upon check-in the hotel did not have my online reservation on file. Fortunately, I had my copy of the reservation along with my confirmation number.

The swimming pool and spa were nice and well maintained. The continental breakfast was a bit lacking. The location was close to the airport, but far enough away to not be bothered by jet noise.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Yukon578
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed at the Governors Inn for four nights during the Sacramento Jazz Festival (over Memorial Day weekend) and were quite pleased. The room was very clean, roomy, and well appointed. The continental breakfast was good with a decent variety (various breads/muffins/bagels, yogurt, etc. -- though we would have preferred more fresh fruit.) The staff were always quite friendly & helpful, even during this busy weekend when many festival-goers, including youth bands, were staying at the hotel. The shuttle to Old Sacramento for the festival was prompt and frequent. We liked the hotel's location, close to Old Town, the freeway, and Discovery Park (with great running/biking paths). In response to some of the other reviews about the location -- We did see some homeless folks here & there in the vicinity but they weren't threatening or a problem in any way. One recommendation we'd make would be for the hotel - or some other business in the area - to offer bike rentals....we would have loved to bike at Discovery Park if we'd had wheels!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Stilltripping
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I travel to Sacramento about once a year for business and I usually stay at the Governor's Inn. It is a clean, decent and reasonably priced place to stay. The homeless people generally congregate at McDonald's next door and don't bother you. I have walked to the nearby restaurants for dinner with a coworker and have never had a problem.

That said, this will probably be my last time staying here. It is starting to get a little rundown looking around the edges. The breakfast which others have called carb heavy was a choice of bagels, muffins, dry cereal or donuts- and the donut and muffin were not fresh. The only fruit was choice of an orange or an apple. I think they have replaced the lighting with energy saving bulbs that are somewhat dim, adding to the dingy atmosphere. As a woman staying alone, the hotel, not the area it is located in, gives me the creeps.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank yaloobloo
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My husband originally booked us into the Best Western Sandman, but I read through Trip Advisor's reviews and insisted that he change motels. The Governor's Inn is in the same industrial neighborhood, a little pricier, but the reviews said it was safer and cleaner. So, crossing my fingers, we booked it.

We checked in at 12:30 a.m. PST, and the night person was friendly, making sure we had breakfast vouchers for all days and Internet connection info before we went up to our room, and asked if we needed a wake-up call. Our car was in a parking lot surrounded by high walls, but shared a lot with the McDonald's next door (which was handy for getting out onto the road leading to the freeway - I-5.) We had a king bed "mini-studio"; separate toilet and shower from the sink, which was separate from the couch, fridge/coffeemaker, desk and bed.

Very comfortable, firm bed, good pillows. Immaculate room. New or nearly new furnishings throughout. A little road noise, but keeping the fan on the heater helped. No curtains on the windows, but plantation shutters which darkened the room very well, and kept the level of dust down, with none of those annoying gaps between curtains that you get.

Breakfast the next morning was staffed, and was heavy on the carbs, but had a great selection of doughnuts, croissants, coffee cake bread, yogurt, oatmeal, English muffins and the like. Tables were wiped down between guests. You did have to present breakfast vouchers, but the staff person was very friendly about it. My guess is that's how they separate the guests from the local transient population.

Front desk person was very helpful in recommending a cab company and making change. He strongly recommended that I did not walk the neighborhood alone at night, as noted in the reviews for the Best Western Sandman and for this location. This is next to Discovery Park and the freeway on-ramp, and there are lots of transients in the area. Also, it is about 1 1/2 miles through a very deserted industrial area, which we walked during the daytime, to anything worth seeing in Old Sacramento or downtown Sacramento itself.

Maps were available at the front desk. There is a computer with Internet access available in the lobby for those without Internet access; our Internet access in the room was nearly as fast as our DSL at home. The front desk person was very nice and printed out our boarding passes for us without charge (but I did provide him with a token of my appreciation!). We were also referred to a grocery store where I could stock up on snacks and beverages for our stay.

Breakfast the next morning was "cereal morning", with a selection of cereals, donuts and oatmeal. When I asked about yogurt, the staff person fished some out of the refrigerator just for me. As I noted before, the breakfast is heavy on the carbs. There is peanut butter available for toast and the like.

There is also a "Manager's Reception" in the afternoon, which features sherry, tea and cookies from packages, which I found charming, if not terribly high-brow.

The Governor's Inn is all non-smoking, and conference rooms take up the entire first floor. There is also a pool and a hot tub or sauna, but we didn't use those. All looked very clean. All rooms are interior rooms. There are 2 elevators to the 2nd and 3rd floor guest rooms.

Checkout was easy, since we had to check out at 4:30 a.m. We had gotten yogurt and pastries the day before and put them in our refrigerator so as not to bother the front desk person, but he offered to get us some breakfast to take to the airport with us, not knowing we had arranged this on our own. Our bill was quickly and accurately presented.

I would gladly stay here again. The extra we paid for this motel vs. the Best Western Sandman gained us peace of mind, friendly staff, immaculate housekeeping, a good bed and good breakfasts. Well worth it in a budget location.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PlainsWoman
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I stayed there after a disappointing stay at the Super 8 across the street (big incentive).
The inn is very nice and the neighborhood is so-so-yes there seems to be homeless around (a shelter type facility is a few blocks away-probably the reason) and it is adjacent to an industrial area (thus the trucks/noise) but I've been/seen way worse. It's semi close by the Old Town, its a vigorous walk to there. There seems to be semi decent restaurants nearby. The parking area is fenced and gated and the rear gate is closed at night so take normal precautions with your vehicle. In the room everything worked and was clean and comfortable (no broken or badly damaged furnture/fixtures), the bath only had a shower not a full tub/shower-that may matter to some but it didn't matter to me. Interesting that the windows had plantation shuitters on them (rarely do hotel rooms seem to have that). The complimentary breakfast was average. The price was about the same as the Super 8 across the street but a way better value. I'd stay here again should I ever be in the Sacramento area.

• Stayed: June 2006