“Don’t book this hotel if your itinerary isn’t all set”

Governors Inn Hotel
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this hotel through Booking.com. But I had to change my itinerary and needed to stay in downtown area. After I cancelled, I was told to wait for 7-8 business days for the refund. So I waited and didn’t receive my refund on the 8th day. As a result, I had to cut my trip short because I needed the money to stay 3 more days in SF area. The front desk person said that the general manager who was responsible for processing the refund had gone for a vacation for 2 weeks and no one could confirm whether the refund had been made. Then finally the general manager got back from a long vacation. Although she has forgotten to deposit the refund, she was not apologetic at all. I wanted to hear at least “I’m sorry” from her. The other reception person who called me sounded very rude, too. She also did not apologize. The rude attitudes of the hotel staffs left me with a bad impression of the hotel. Anyway, don’t book this hotel if you aren’t sure about your travel itinerary. Hotel itself looked nice, but it is in a very run-down depressive looking area of town and there is nothing to see around the hotel (just Denny’s and McDonald). Women travelling alone (like me) are not advised to stay here unless they have cars. But then they will have to worry about for paying for the parking in the downtown area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MarieStNewYork S
There are newer reviews for Governors Inn Hotel

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were there for the last two nights and were very pleased with our stay. The customer service (especially with Heiner, who was both courteous and friendly when we made our reservation) was great throughout our stay. Although this hotel is not the Ritz, it's very clean and comfortable. Our room, which was a King's Suite, was large and nicely appointed. Although the bathroom was relatively small, both the towels and the bed linens were very good quality. The continental breakfast was average except for the waffles which were great! We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor on the back side of the building which is further from the freeway and quiete...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Governors Inn H, General Manager at Governors Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear ByDandL,

Thank you for your recent review of the Governors Inn Hotel. We really appreciate your high praise of the hotel staff and accommodations. I am glad we exceeded your expectations.

If we can absolutely do anything to make a future visit to Sacramento more enjoyable, please let us know.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I really wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I surprised.
The staff was great. Helped me pick a place to eat, helped make transportation.
The lobby is a nice sized, well decorated space. Plenty of room to sit and watch people.
They have shuttle service to/from the airport (which is quite a distance from the hotel), and to the convention center area in the heart of Sacramento. From the convention center it is an easy walk to any of the downtown sites.
The room was clean, well decorated.
The breakfast food- I don't recall any meats or other proteins other than yogurt. :-(
Governor's Inn will definitely be my go-to hotel in Sacramento.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear egatrop,

Thank you for your recent review of the Governors Inn Hotel. We are so pleased you were happy with the room accommodations and your stay while you were here! We are especially pleased that you found our staff to be very accommodating and helpful. Our staff works very hard to exceed our guests' expectations and am glad we achieved that with you.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel provides a shuttle to and from airport but also to the downtown which makes this hotel an ideal budget hotel for those attending conventions. Rooms are large, clean and well kept. Breakfast is included but is not the best I've had in similar hotels. There is a Denny's opposite though

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Governors Inn Hotel. Our hotel prides itself on our clean facilities, friendly and helpful staff, we thank you for very nice comments.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Governor's Inn was booked via a website that didn't allow me to know where I Was booking until after payment had been made. Needless to say I was a little skeptical when I saw the location of the hotel. As I'm from Sacramento and I knew this area was not the best and not the worst as far as locations. Ideally it was not far from my intended primary locations to visit (downtown and Carmichael).

When growing up I knew this hotel was there but never really paid too much attention to it. When I arrived at the hotel it was immediately clear that the hotel had been thru a recent renovation. The renovation definitely brought this hotel back to life and appears to have been extremely comprehensive in nature.

Outside the hotel they have installed ceramic tiles which look great! HOWEVER they are extremely slippery when wet, cold or even have a slight dusting of frost (since they are in the shade of the building). From the fog they were damp and I almost slipped and fell just walking to the front door! Be Very Careful and at this point I'm not sure if there is anything that the management can do to fix it except put up a warning sign and/better lighting in that area.

The lobby is well decorated, quiet and inviting. The night audit clerk was nice and was able to check me in with no problems and was friendly in nature.

The parking lot is huge however a good chunk of it was taped off for unknown reasons. Since I checked in at night I was able to witness the local homeless loitering outside the gates of the property. So I would highly recommend locking your car and taking any valuables. Even though on one side of this hotel is a local Sacramento Police Station you still need to be responsible for your belongings.

There are vending machines on the first floor outside of the elevators which also has couches and appears to be a secondary lobby of sorts.

The room I had was a double and was nice. In room the following items were available: Flat Screen TV (42"), Desk, chair, two pillow top beds, shutters on the windows, AC/Heater, Fridge, Iron/Ironing Board, Wall lamps/Desk Lamp, toiletries, ice bucket, luggage stand all standard.

There is was no bathtub, only a stand up glass enclosed shower (or at least that was the case in my room). The beds were very comfortable and nice with adequate pillows.

In the morning they have a Continental breakfast with: Juice/Coffee/Milk, Cereal, fruit, yogurt, waffles and various pastries and bagels, all fresh and well stocked.

Overall the room was nice, quiet and clean. The only complaint I had was that there seemed to be some faults with the water pressure when taking a shower. The classic case of cold water pressure dropping to the point you're border line getting scolded with hot water for a few seconds. For what I paid for the room I was more than happy and have paid more for less and would probably have paid a little more for this room if I hadn't booked via the blind website. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to stay near downtown but not pay the high rates that come with it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Overtrip,

Thank you for your recent and detailed review of the Governors Inn Hotel. I am so happy that you recognized the good service, clean room, and nice accommodations at the hotel. Our owners are very particular about keeping our hotel well-maintained and thus we were doing our annual resurfacing of the parking area which is why a portion of the lot was roped off. In addition, our grounds keepers are now getting ready to plant spring flowers.

If we can do anything to make a future visit to your hometown more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

It is an excellent mid price hotel near Old Town and Downtown Sacramento. The rooms are exceptionally clean and furnished in a modern style. The bed was of excellent quality. The bathrooms are small but are exceptionally clean. Small closets like most hotels, but adequate for most short trips. Location is near offices and industrial properties. Some vagrants near the property, but that is true of most areas near Downtown Sacramento.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Governors Inn H, General Manager at Governors Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Gustavo D,

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor and mentioning how "exceptionally clean" our rooms are. Our staff takes great pride in making certain rooms are clean and comfortable for all our guest upon arrival and during their stay.

We are also excited about all the streetscape, traffic improvements and new development taking place in our area. A brand new Denny's, which included a full building renovation, is across the street too.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a classically beautiful hotel conveniently located close to Old Sac, I-5, and restaurants within walking distance. Heiner made us feel very welcome when we arrived after 5:00 p.m., gave us a recommendation for dinner, plus a 20% discount coupon. George, our hotel shuttle driver who picked us at Executive Airport, was polite, chatty and fun. Thanks George for the fun ride! Sarah was our day clerk the next morning—very personable and polite. Even our breakfast room hostess (didn't get her name) was kind and forgiving when I showed up late! The whole feel of the hotel is like being welcomed into someone's home. The lobby is huge and inviting. The rooms are large, clean, quiet and beautiful. Even the way they fold the bath towels is artistic—I will try this at home! This will be my only destination when visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear SYLVIA O,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel and our staff. As you noted, our staff is what makes us a great place to stay. We take great pride in our hotel and our staff. I have shared your comments with our staff and can tell you that you made their day.

Thank you very taking the time to share on trip advisor. We value Trip Advisor and the service it provides to our guests.