“Ugly outside, but not bad overall”

Quality Inn Downtown
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed May 1, 2012

After reading many of the reviews, I thought that the stay my wife had booked would be terrible, but it was the opposite. I start with comments from other reviewers.

Complaints that we did not experience:
Noise from bar crawlers: We heard none.
Parking: Was not a problem, except when we checked out and wanted to leave the car longer, they asked us to move it. [It is only $6 all day at the car park at the back if you park before 9 am.]
Low water pressure in the shower: There was ample pressure.
Dirty: Our room was not too bad. It smelled a bit, but not to the point that it was uncomfortable.

Complaints we can verify:
Not pretty: Yes, it looks much worse from the street than it actually is!
Shower water temperature fluctuates: Yes, but not so much that it was extremely uncomfortable.
Undersized pillows: yes, a third of what I am used to, and fairly uncomfortable.
Small bed: Yes, for two people this was incredibly small.
Trash truck: Yes, on the two mornings it came at 06:30. It was very noisy, but I was awake and working, my wife stayed asleep, so it bothered neither of us.
Crowded breakfast area: It did get crowded, but not impossible. [Actually, breakfast doesn’t start until 7 am, so if you wanted an early start you are SOL.]

On the positive side:
Proximity: Very close to the convention center, another few minutes to the State Capitol, and an easy walk to restaurants and the River City Brew pub.
Breakfast: It had cereal, yoghurt, waffles, eggs, sausages. So it’s ok.
Internet: It’s free and worked well.
Desk: There is a desk to work on and two reasonable chairs so we could each work on our laptop.
Room size: our room (304) had three rooms: bedroom, bathroom, and other. This was good and we had plenty of space.
Sunshine: Our room faced west so after a day at the convention center we could work in the room with the sun coming in. It was good.

Room Tip: Take the third floor (where it is non-smoking)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank 20_times_ATW

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Man, what a horrible experience! 2:00 in the morning the several bars in the area close and apparently this is the parking lot for them to use. As guests of the hotel, we had to PAY for parking in the next door garage! Back from the all nite drinking, the locals started a scream & hollering match, complete with all the foul language drunks use , in the allyway between the buildings which provided a nice echo! We had 3 children with us, 11 and under! Hotel staff did nothing but threaten to call the police, who never arrived. I'm convinced a call was never made.

Our room was not ready when we checked in, after 3:00 p.m, but with keys in hand we went up to find 2 non-english speaking maids very surprised at our arrival. Complaining to each other, one in our party speaks Spanish, they quickly finished the room then started to clean the 2nd
room we also rented. If they were not rushed I wonder if they would have cleaned the BLACK MOLD from the bathroom wall. We asked for and received another room, but clearly the desk person was not happy. She asked what we had used so she could Get the room ready to re-rent! CLEAN THE BLACK MOLD OFF THE WALL! My pony doesn't live in this filth! Rugs need to be replaced, but at minimum, shampoo them. I've rented rooms at this price before and do not expect the Ritz, but I've never been in such a poor kept, poorly managed place before!

Room Tip: Stay in any room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank twomuchfun1701
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I rarely write reviews unless something is great or terrible, and this place was horrible. Luckily we only needed to stay one night to attend an event at the Convention Center and the location was only a block or so away. We paid approx. $85 for a night, which is on the cheaper side, but I've stayed in places for that price and they were nothing like this. When you first drive up, it is visibly run down. The parking spots are extremely tight and most of them were taken up by people not staying in the hotel, which forced us to pay for parking in the garage next door. We checked in around 3pm and were given our room keys, but when we got to our room it was in the process of being cleaned and since we already lugged our bags to the room we had to wait outside until they were done. Our first room had black mold in the bathroom, so we went to let the person at the counter know and she immediately said "so do you want to check out?” The customer service was nonexistent to say the least. She gave us a new room that was cleaner, but not by much. The location of the hotel is also located around the corner from a bar and during our stay we ended up listening to drunks and a couple fighting outside until around 4am in the morning. Needless to say, we got little to no sleep. It was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I would never recommend that anyone stay at this location.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ckj80
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Overall the room was good for the price. Only 1 thing that irritated me, low water pressure in shower.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I don't normally review a hotel unless it's really great or really bad. Unfortunately, this place falls in the latter. You enter the property via a sketchy downtown alley. My kids were afraid to get out of the car. The place is very rundown and dingy. Some of Sacramento's seediest roam through the parking lot day and night. In fact, one night we watched a guy smoke crack directly below our room. The room was old and dated and in dire need of a massive renovation. Dirty carpet, dirty walls, old furniture. I didn't even want to put our luggage on the floor, yuk! The staff was not friendly or overly helpful. The breakfast was okay, but the staff wouldn't even say "good morning" when we walked in. The location is good if you just want to walk around downtown. The hotel is on a very busy street and the room was noisy day and night with numerous police sirens blaring. I'd avoid this place, especially if you're bringing your family.

Room Tip: I recommend the 3rd floor for security reasons.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dutchfam5
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in March while attending an event that was held at the Hyatt. Couldn't see spending $400 a night when all I was doing was sleeping in the room so went for the $50 a night deal at the Quality Inn. Easy walk to the Capital, Convention Center and Hyatt. The hotel is not pretty at all and looks worse than it really is. Bed was OK, not plush and I wish I had brought a comforter and pillow of my own. They supplied undersized pillows, really small and not very comfortable. Bathroom looked the worst. Showerhead was really low and water temp was difficult to control. Nice flat screen TV with good selection of channels, free internet that actually worked well and fridge in the room. Free parking was a plus. The room I was in was on the alley side of the building. At 5am each morning a trash truck would pull up under the hotel and empty the big trash bins...very loud! There was lots noise in the alley. I'd suggest a room away from it if you do stay there.
Lots of stains, scratchs and dirty carpet in the room, but nothing so bad that I couldn't deal with it, even as a female traveling alone. Like others have said, you get what you pay for. I'd rather stay somewhere nicer next trip to Sacramento, but if I had a really tight budget I probably would return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank westlakevillagemom
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Granted, this was St. Patrick's Day. But to be awakened by drunken shouting and car doors slamming from 2-3 in the morning doesn't make for a restful night.

I don't normally stay in budget hotels but I was with a school group. The room was clean and the bed was reasonably comfortable. There was a nice flat screen tv and a refrigerator. There were granite countertops in the bathroom but they seemed strangely out of place for the rest of the somewhat tired appointments.

The complimentary breakfast was good; however, the breakfast area was very crowded - not enough seats.

I do feel compelled to mention the unfriendly front desk help. C'mon folks - how much does a simple smile (or even pleasant expression) cost?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business