“No free In-room Internet”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed May 11, 2007

In todays' age of technology and wide use of the Internet - it is a shame that this hotel charges you 10 dollars a day for in-room internet. MANY other hotels who charge less per night than this one, who have free parking, and who have a free continental breakfast do not charge for in-room internet access.

When I asked for consideration to have free in-room internet - the desk staff said no. It went all the way to the manager - who said it was "policy". So the manager has no power to help please a customer. If I wasn't required to stay at this hotel I would not have done so. I can get a nice M******* Room with breakfast, evening snack, a very comfortable bed, and free in-room internet for a much more reasonable price than this place - and one of those M******* hotels is not far way from this hotel.

I still have not heard from anyone at the hotel, and I did leave a comment card about the Internet. If you want to be nickled 7 dimed to death - stay her, other wise, try the BW or M that are about a mile away.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed May 8, 2007

I stayed at the Sacramento Doubletree Hotel in April, 2007. I was the speaker at a conference being held at the hotel, and the event organizers encouraged me to stay at the "host" hotel.

Upon my arrival, I was a bit surprised at how old the hotel was. (Not sure why I was surprised...just was.) The hotel is old - and it has not been updated on a large-scale.

Check-in was slow. The people working at the front desk seemed to be working in slow-motion...but, once I got to the front of the line, the Doubletree associate was cordial.

The layout of the hotel is *bizarre!* It's been built sort of like a wagon wheel...with the hotel lobby being the center of the wheel. Unfortunately, not all of the "spokes" are connected to the lobby. In other words, you have to walk outside of the lobby to get to the various wings. (I hate this style of hotel. The hotel across the street, the old "Red Lion" was built in the same manner. I guess it was a trend once upon a time.)

Women and elderly persons should be aware that the hotel parking lot is dark -- i.e. the lights are not very bright. I consider this a safety issue. I would not want my wife walking through this parking lot.

The room numbers make zero sense. (Doubletree should correct this problem -- it's just silly.) For example, my room was located on the first floor...but my room number was "404." I found myself walking into the wing (finding the entrance door was difficult, as it was not well marked) and then going to the elevator in order to get to the 4th floor. As I entered the elevator, I noticed that the elevator only went to floors "1," "2," and "3." I was very puzzled. Then I recalled that the front desk person said my room was on the first floor. Strange.

My room was fine -- old (popcorn on the ceiling) and somewhat large (but I was traveling alone, so the extra space was of no benefit to me). The beds were the new Doubletree beds, and they are fantastic -- I think that they are even better than the Marriott Hotel beds.

Bathroom was old -- late-1970s/early-1980s. There were two sinks, however...which is nice if traveling with a spouse, colleague, or child.

Internet use required "plugging in" and at a rate of $9.95 per day. So instead of surfing the internet, I chose to watch an in-room movie before calling it a night. The in-room movie system was also one of older systems, but it worked fine.

Check-out was smoother than check-in.

I did not eat breakfast at the hotel, but I did eat the catered lunch served at the conference (in the banquet room). The food was above average -- not fantastic...but certainly not bad.

Unless you are getting a stellar rate at this hotel, I would be hard-pressed to recommend it -- unless you are a woman travleing alone, in which case I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances. There's nothing truly awful about the hotel (just annoying things like the odd room numbers); it's simply that there are better options in Sacramento.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dcdude
Reviewed May 7, 2007

A co-worker and I stayed here while attending a conference that was being held at the hotel. We were given a room in the Sutter Wing that had been obviously recently upgraded to new beds, bedding, furniture, etc. Beds were very comfortable. Bathroom especially nice with 2 sinks and mirror areas! Room was very clean. There is a small balcony which was nice to go outside for some fresh air or just to people watch from above. Desk staff very courteous and helpful. Free parking was great and there was alot of it. Food in the cafe was very good. It was nice to be able to walk to the mall across the street and to dinner at the Elephant Bar next door. The lunch that we were served during the conference was excellant and fresh...nice selection of salads, sandwich fixings, etc. Overall, a nice experience and I would definately stay there again, even if it was on my nickel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2007

On 16 Mar 07, I was scheduled to stay at the hotel. Due to an unfortunate fire on a nearby train trestle, the air quality was horrible and businesses were closed and people were warned to stay inside to avoid breathing the smoked filled air. I called the hotel to move my reservation to the following day, thinking that the air quality would be better the following day. I was told that it was past their 24-hour modify/cancel policy. I asked what difference does it really make if I just stay on a Sat nite instead of Fri nite and the front desk agent told me of the policy again. At that time I asked to speak to a manager. The front desk supervisor then got on the phone and stated the same policy and this time asked me if I'd like for them to book a Sat nite stay? She said they would charge me for the Fri nite stay and make an additional reservation for me on Sat nite? I asked how this helps me since I only wanted to stay on Sat nite anyway? She again recited the policy. She then asked me if I'd like to leave a message on the hotel manager's voice mail, which I did and never heard back from her.
I could understand if I wanted to cancel the whole reservation and they wouldn't get their money, but to make a big deal out of moving a reservation to the following night just baffles me.
Needless to say, I will NEVER stay at a Doubletree Hotel again. There are plenty of choices in hotels and customer service is a big factor in determining where to stay. Don't stay here if customer service is a priority for your stay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2007

This was a great hotel! We stayed for 1 night. We ate dinner at the Hard RocK Cafe, and it was really close by. We ate breakfast in the Doubletree, and it was delicious! Their hotel is very clean and comfortable. It was a little walk from our hotel room to the main lobby, but it was all inside. Our rooms were comfortable! The pillows were very soft and fluffy, and the bed was like I was sleeping on a cloud! I recommend this hotel, and give it 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed January 20, 2007

My husband and I were on our annual trek from Seattle to Phoenix to deliver my mom and dad's car and their dog "Lucy" the pug. We usually like to be spontaneous, but since we had a dog, we selected hotels from the AAA "Traveling with your Dog" guide. Our second stop was the Double Tree in Sacramento, CA. The hotel was very hard to find, but once we were there it was very nice. It's located across from a large mall with movie theaters. It is a large hotel that can accomodate large conventions -- there are many "wings" and it's easy to get lost! Our room was newly redecorated and was very clean. We ordered room service and had a wonderful meal! After eating, I was craving a treat and went to find a vending machine. I asked the front desk and they only had soda machines, but they would be happy to open up the gift shop for me! I was able to pick out my snack as well as access my e-mail from the complementary computer located in the lobby -- very handy! There was a complementary breakfast buffet with a variety of pastries, fruit, cereal and coffee -- very good! I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple