“Nice but with some problems”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed 3 nights for a convention in midst of cross country trip. Before even checking in I was concerned about this hotel. I was meeting people out there for a yearly convention . Called another guest who had arrived the day before I was scheduled to and got some disturbing news. The organizer upon checking in had nobody to help her unload her car for an event that was planned well in advance (years). While unloading on a trip to her room her car was broken into. All convention attendees info ( credit cards etc.) was stolen. This was a great inconvenience and worry for all 300 plus of us. What kind of hotel is this? At check in I asked clerk straight out if I needed to worry about my car in their lot. I was told that it did indeed happen a bit and that hotel had no security or cameras in lot. For what this hotel charges per night I don't think it would kill them to hire a couple of guards or install some video so guests feel safe. All that being said this hotel is clean quiet and well maintained. The public areas are pretty and staff were friendly and helpful. The grounds are nice with a large pool and lovely gardens with a stream and ducks. The property is sprawling so be ready to do some walking to and from your room though. Okay place to stay if you are not driving or have a rental. would recommend but with some warnings.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank highwaybound40
dunebuggyfun, owner at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

Thank-you for your response! The Doubletree Hotel Sacramento did house the convention, however the incident did not happen here. After further investigation, the incident in question actually took place at a competitor hotel located accros the street. The Doubletree Hotel Sacramento takes the security of guests, guest’s property and safety of our employees very seriously and investigates all reported situations. We have a security team onsite that monitors and patrols the entire property, though we can’t be everywhere at all times, we strive to do our best. We apologize for this occurrence and hope that it doesn’t deter you from choosing our location in the future. We would like to take this opportunity to Thank-you for choosing the Doubletree Hotel Sacramento and look forward to beating your expectations next year!

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed 9 nights and enjoyed the entire stay. The room was large, very comfortable. It is true that the distance from the rooms to the lobby can be very long. I was in the room furthest from the front desk.

The very best was the restaurant and their staff. EVERYONE was helpful and friendly. The food was terrific. I had dinner and lunch here and every meal was great. Also was here during a convention and the banquet food was really, really good. Very unusual.

Tip: If you have an AARP card, use it at the restaurant for a 10% discount on food.

Tip: Bar has 1/2 price food from 4-6 PM daily. A huge Angus beef burger with a slice of cheddar and great sauteed mushrooms, some of the best fries ever for $5.25! It was a huge amount of food.

Tip: Bar is noisy at night an clearly a pick-up hangout. You may want to stay clear. Best bet: drive to Napa or Sonoma and get your own wine.

Tip: cookies are ALWAYS free at the counter. Just ask nice.

Tip: Free wireless was in the restaurant, lobby and pool, but not in all public areas.

Overall, this was a terrific stay and I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RogerNBill

Thank-you for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento, while visiting our capital city! We would like to offer two more tips while staying at our location; sign-up for a Hilton Honors Account and receive points and miles for every qualifying stay and we offer value priced meals in Cityside Café located in the lobby on a daily basis. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento for your home away from home!

Reviewed May 27, 2009

OK, so the reason I gave the rooms lower points is because the hotel is very spread out and the different buildings aren't very well labelled--when we checked in at 3am, we were very tired, cold, and in no mood to be carrying our luggage in and out of the reception building and then trying to drive around in the dark finding the correct building.

In any case, the rooms were of course clean and the beds very comfy.
My only complaint about the place was that the staff was either really friendly or quite rude, and it wasn't fun getting the rude ones on the phone while confirming things. I asked for a king bed at around 11pm, and the man I spoke to told me that they had a few handicap rooms available but no standards with king beds. I told him that was fine, if he could reserve that for us, and I guess he figured since it was so late no one would reserve anything else, so he said it wouldn't be an issue and whoever checked us in could just give us the king room. Well, when we got in at 3am, a few "walk-ins" had taken the few king bed handicaps they had left, and so we had to settle for two queen beds. That's fine that they sold out, but I really think the man I had originally spoken with should have reserved the place like I asked him to, and I dunno how believable it is that they had multiple walk-ins on a week night who took all the handicap rooms (which they don't even readily offer you unless you insist that you want something that only the handicap room has left to offer).

Also of note is that there isn't any continental breakfast included. This was lame because all the other 3stars we had stayed at on this stay offered good continental breakfasts and were just as good as this place in other respects.
Anyway, overall, this was a nice hotel that I would stay at again, but I'd Priceline the place because the rates they offer over the phone are double what you can get online!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! Our hotel is spread out over 17 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, offering Cityside Café, RJ Grin’s Sports Lounge, 24 hour business center, Precor fitness area and 32,000 sq ft of meeting space, all under one roof! We do apologize for not having a bell person on shift for your late arrival and for the confusion of your bed type that you requested. We missed an opportunity to WOW you, so we thank-you bringing this to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again!

Reviewed May 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night arriving on a Friday evening. The hotel was busy, but check-in was quick and easy. I requested a rennovated room on a high floor and it was granted. We were given a warm and awesome chocolate chip cookie at check-in. The room was very spacious, large closet, bathroom, and vaniety, desk, the most comfortable hotel bed we've slept on, down pillows, and balcony. The only downfall of our stay is the hotel is huge and has several "wings". Navigation was challenging and required a lot of walking. Great location close to freeway and across from shopping.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Thank-you for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations again. Thank-you again!

Reviewed April 23, 2009

This is just an okay hotel. I stayed ina dated room. The service was curt at best. The work out room is nice and the pool looked good. For the same money there are nicer places to stay in this area. The location across from the Mall is good and it is quick acess to the city center etc... Many great restaurants nearby. The Cheese Cake Factory etc... right up the road. The Doubletree should start offering free internet for the price you pay to stay at their hotel. You do still get a cookie when you check in - The Hampton has cookies too and free internet.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We missed an opportunity to WOW you, and we thank-you bringing this to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again!

Reviewed March 22, 2009

The purported multimillion dollar renovation was certainly a success! I didn't see the hotel before, but I can attest to the fact that the end result was spectacular! Large, spacious rooms (and we were there at cut-rate, rock-bottom rates). The room was beautifully decorated, squeaky clean, beautifulyl furnitured. Luxurious beds with lots of big, fluffy pillows, and sheets and comforters that match the most prestigious hotels. The entire hotel was gorgeous, and every member of the staff we encountered was professional and friendly. It was a fairly long walk from our room to the lobby/restaurants/conference rooms, but it's a big hotel, and it is laid out in a big sprawl. But the walk to and from was so pleasant, through enclosed, lovely walkways, with wide views all along of extremely beautiful grounds and landscaping. I was MOST pleasantly surprised and pleased by the entire experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We thank-you for noticing the facelift, we are proud! We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations again. Thank-you again!

Reviewed January 28, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a conference, so hotel choice wasn't there for me in this case. I arrived at the property and was greeted by a friendly staff. Room was clean, but the building is very old. The door to get into my room wing had a malfunctioning card reader, so that meant entering through another wing and walking to mine. See the other reviews about how big the hotel is. I notified the staff and they didn't get it fixed for the five days I was there. The beds were nice with great linen. Other things of note in the room were the beautiful granite coutner tops and renovated bathrooms. Downfalls of the room would have to be the 23" Phiilips TV from what looks like the early 90's that sits so far away from the bed it looks like a 13" TV. Even lesser hotels at this price point have decent TV's.

Shortcomings for the hotel would have to start with the lack of WiFi in the rooms. This is 2009 and I can get free Wifi anywhere from McDonalds to Motel 6, so a hotel at this pricepoint shoud definately include free wifi. The option is in the room for a DSL connection, but at the cost of $9.95 a day. I swallowed the ten dollar pill because work demanded it, and was angered to see the connection speed slower than what I remember dial-up internet being in the mid 90's. It was so slow it wouldn't even connect to one of my work webmail appications. Highspeed WiFi is available in the lobby and restaraunt for free, but like I said that is a six minute walk from my room and not the place I want to do buisiness. If you are going to charge for internet it should at least be high speed internet.

The builidng itself is very nice to look at from the outside, but the interior is just old. They have new carpet down which is attractive, but it just makes the place look like a nursing home with new carpet. Wrapping a ribbon on turd syndrome. The rooms have new paint, but you can see every patch job from holes in the walls and abuse it has taken over it's long career. It is simply an older hotel that needs total renovation, not just new paint, carpet and bedding. The furniture is in such poor repair the drawers of the dresser would come open on their own in the night and bang open, waking me up.

The fitness center cosisted of a couple old treadmills, two eliptical machines, and a rack of dumbells that only went up to fifty pounds. The front desk was more than happy to refer me to a 24 Hour Fitness center that would let me buy a pass for the day for $15 because they had an agreement with the hotel. Oddly, the daily rate at the gym was $15 even if you weren't staying at the hotel.

In todays day and age, hotels are standard with free breakfast of some sort and highspeed internet. One of the conference attendees was staying down the street at a Marriot hotel and his rate was thirty dollars a night cheaper. His room came with free WiFi and had a full breakfast available every morning. Instead I paid for slow internet and a breakfast buffet was available for $15. Unsat. I have stayed at lots of Doubletree hotels around the country and I would have to put this at the bottom. I almost felt as if the hotel had been sold to a private owner who was simply running the hotel under the Doubletree name, or should I say running it into the ground.

Just to end this on a positive note, the location of the Hotel is amazing. It is directly across the street from a fantastic mall and lots of great restaraunts. Adjacent to the California State Fairgrounds too if you are coming in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)