“Great hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed here for a couple nights on business - very comfortable, Staff was very nice and helpful. A little dated but not much - definitely beds extremely comfortable. Great Chai Latte. I wished I had brought my swinsuit as the pool area looked wonderful! I was picked up at the front desk and my room at the back of the hotel so it was a walk but I can see if you had your own car - there were many entrances to be had.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thank you for a wonderful review! We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize if there were any inconveniences, even if they were small. We hope that you'll join us again soon and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Every one I encountered was exceptional! The service in the dining area were very helpful and attentive. The pool was great, my family and I enjoyed it very much. Overall our stay was flawless! Thanking the team at the Double Tree Sac! We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for a terrific review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with your family. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed here twice on business and have been happy with facility and service. The hotel is older but kept up well. I like how there are multiple entrances so I can easily get to my car each morning. I did have a couple of issues - mainly with tub not working well, but the staff took care of it right away.

I appreciate the fact that they have door closers on the doors rather than just spring hinges like most hotels. This keeps the doors from other rooms slamming shut while early risers are leaving their rooms. Because of this, I sleep much better.

They also have plenty of options for meals and coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of each wing if you want a quiet room. guests often leave through t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jimvia76

Thank you for a great review! We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll continue to choose us as your premier choice in the Sacramento area. Please join us again soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel should not be allowed to be associated with Doubletree or Hilton. I have to stay here for work, so I don't get to pick my accomidations, but if you do, stay somewhere else!!
The only positive thing I can say is that the front desk staff is very nice, and it is close to restaurants and a mall...from there it is all bad. My room was in the El Dorado section. Let me start by saying it is unsafe, the doors do not have a added security door guards, no chain, bolts, latches. The doors open out into the hallway rather than into the room like most hotels, so anyone with a pass key could enter with no obstruction. The floor had so many stains I had to wear shoes the entire time, I even had to ask for an extra towel to cover the blood stain by my bed so I could get in with socks on!! The dust ruffles have stains, the vents are so dustly, and there was a hair in my plastic coffee cup, not what you want to see in the morning.
Bottom line is, this was an old Red Lion and all they did was change the name and it shows.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. We hope that, if you join us again for work, we can make up for the errors from your previous stays. We truly look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel brings back memories. It was formerly the Red Lion, and THE place to go for Junior Proms, Senior Balls and the like. It was the spot for major gatherings and events. Until this trip to Sacramento specifically to visit the State Fair and the water park on a July weekend, I had never had reason to stay here, and didn't know that the Doubletree I had booked online was the former Red Lion.
We had prebooked a package that included paid parking and a couple of tickets to the State Fair, so I recommend checking the site for promotions. Some include breakfast at their nice cafe (we had a buffet that was quite good).
Check in was smooth and gracious, in the attractive lobby. We each received a signature cookie, and were able to take advantage of the homemade lemonade that's available all day.
We were given a room in the Cal Expo wing in the expansive hotel. We brought our own luggage in, but that's not a concern for us when there's an elevator and easy access to the elevator from the car, which there was.
The buildings themselves are funky. They were built in 1975, and there is some need for maintenance for things like peeling paint on the exterior here and there, but we didn't see any cleanliness issues. The property was well maintained. Carpeting in the hallway was clean and the remaining cleaning staff was welcoming and gracious as we went to our room. There are large lobbies by the elevators, at least in our wing, with sofas and room to relax outside of the rooms themselves.
The room was outstanding, clean, large, and clearly geared to the business traveler, which means that there's usually a nice desk and plenty of plugs for things such as phones and laptops. The bathroom had sufficient counter space for our toiletries, and a nice large bathtub shower with a huge shower head and great water pressure. We had a room with two queen beds which were extremely comfortable. The blinds were blackout, which is nice in Sacramento's heat. There is a small balcony with a sliding glass door, but our view (at least until the fireworks from the Fair went off that night) was pretty charmless, of the parking lot and part of the huge Arden Fair mall.
We thought the room was very comfortable and were glad we'd chosen the resort.
There was also a free shuttle that took us to the Fair, on a schedule, and we happily took advantage of this service. On the way back, our driver had more cookies for everyone.
We also had a swim in the pool, which was not large, but not tiny, and quite clean. Towels were laid out on the chaise lounges and there were plenty of extras available, so there was no shortage of linen that I've found at other hotels and resorts from time to time. It's from the pool that the architectural oddity of the place really stands out. It's just a very odd building, and unique.
There's still a large section of the hotel where conventions and events are held.
We found the hotel largely quiet except for an incident with the next door neighbors that apparently involved their early-teen boys arriving at the room without adults and screaming, jumping on the beds, yelling from the balcony, and generally making a total nuisance of themselves. Since it was already 10 PM, we called the front desk, and a security guard came up within 10 minutes to deal with the issue. Apparently, we were not the only guests to complain, the issue was handled, and the next door room was silent for the rest of our stay.
After our excellent fresh buffet (eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, waffles, cereal, juice), we took the shuttle to the Fair for our second day. The hotel had told me that I could leave my car until I was ready to leave, so we never paid for parking and had great shuttle service.
I thought this was a good find and the price was reasonable for our family of four. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: You will hear noise from the Fair - be advised that there are things like demolition derbies and the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunbunny31
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Wow! Thank you for a great review! We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your thoughts, and we are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It looks like you really took advantage of all of the amenities at the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento. We hope that you and your family will return again soon, and we look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Wow. I read some of the reviews and I wondered if we stayed at the same place. My wife and I stayed here for a weekend. We commented on the style of the hotel but in a good way. It's spread out the way they built them when land wasn't so pricey. I sort of like not having to depend on an elevator to go several stories up. Anyway, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The location was across from a huge mall and walking distance to the Cal Expo. Nope, it's not a new hotel, but it's certainly not a dump. We would stay there again. I guess that says it all.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FasTxn

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento. We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed her during a recent visit to Sacramento and other than receiving an amazing Doubletree cookie at check in and the comfy bed, the rest could not make up for it.

The hotel is old, you can tell just from the exterior. Depending on what room you get, it might be a matter of walking through hallway after hallway.

The room was small and not that clean. I noticed stains on the walls, carpet, duvet cover,major stains on the bed skirt and side chair. There were slight improvements here and there, such as the LCD TV, granite in the bathroom, but that was about it. I'm not high maintenance or one to pick and probe as I'm way easy going but you can't joke with cleanliness, that's just basic. The room did have a balcony which was nice to step out or let fresh air in the room.

I had dinner and breakfast at their restaurant and the dinner menu was standard, I liked how they had specials. The breakfast was actually nice, as it was a buffet and was reasonably priced.

Also, WHY DO THEY CHARGE FOR PARKING? It's suburban Sacramento, not to mention, their parking lot was most always empty! Eventhough it's only a $7 daily charge, that adds up. Park on the sidewalk and don't pay for that nonsense. Just another attempt for hotels to gouge their guests.

As much as I've love their cookies, I can't say I'll stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor (4th) otherwise you'll hear your upstairs neighbors every footstep.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank YOLOjimmy
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are deeply saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. We understand that additional fees are somewhat unexpected, and for that we apologize. We are looking into and addressing the issues you mentioned. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and look forward to making it up to you upon your return!