“Lovely large room, close to Cal Expo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Novato, CA
“Lovely large room, close to Cal Expo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel brings back memories. It was formerly the Red Lion, and THE place to go for Junior Proms, Senior Balls and the like. It was the spot for major gatherings and events. Until this trip to Sacramento specifically to visit the State Fair and the water park on a July weekend, I had never had reason to stay here, and didn't know that the Doubletree I had booked online was the former Red Lion.
We had prebooked a package that included paid parking and a couple of tickets to the State Fair, so I recommend checking the site for promotions. Some include breakfast at their nice cafe (we had a buffet that was quite good).
Check in was smooth and gracious, in the attractive lobby. We each received a signature cookie, and were able to take advantage of the homemade lemonade that's available all day.
We were given a room in the Cal Expo wing in the expansive hotel. We brought our own luggage in, but that's not a concern for us when there's an elevator and easy access to the elevator from the car, which there was.
The buildings themselves are funky. They were built in 1975, and there is some need for maintenance for things like peeling paint on the exterior here and there, but we didn't see any cleanliness issues. The property was well maintained. Carpeting in the hallway was clean and the remaining cleaning staff was welcoming and gracious as we went to our room. There are large lobbies by the elevators, at least in our wing, with sofas and room to relax outside of the rooms themselves.
The room was outstanding, clean, large, and clearly geared to the business traveler, which means that there's usually a nice desk and plenty of plugs for things such as phones and laptops. The bathroom had sufficient counter space for our toiletries, and a nice large bathtub shower with a huge shower head and great water pressure. We had a room with two queen beds which were extremely comfortable. The blinds were blackout, which is nice in Sacramento's heat. There is a small balcony with a sliding glass door, but our view (at least until the fireworks from the Fair went off that night) was pretty charmless, of the parking lot and part of the huge Arden Fair mall.
We thought the room was very comfortable and were glad we'd chosen the resort.
There was also a free shuttle that took us to the Fair, on a schedule, and we happily took advantage of this service. On the way back, our driver had more cookies for everyone.
We also had a swim in the pool, which was not large, but not tiny, and quite clean. Towels were laid out on the chaise lounges and there were plenty of extras available, so there was no shortage of linen that I've found at other hotels and resorts from time to time. It's from the pool that the architectural oddity of the place really stands out. It's just a very odd building, and unique.
There's still a large section of the hotel where conventions and events are held.
We found the hotel largely quiet except for an incident with the next door neighbors that apparently involved their early-teen boys arriving at the room without adults and screaming, jumping on the beds, yelling from the balcony, and generally making a total nuisance of themselves. Since it was already 10 PM, we called the front desk, and a security guard came up within 10 minutes to deal with the issue. Apparently, we were not the only guests to complain, the issue was handled, and the next door room was silent for the rest of our stay.
After our excellent fresh buffet (eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, waffles, cereal, juice), we took the shuttle to the Fair for our second day. The hotel had told me that I could leave my car until I was ready to leave, so we never paid for parking and had great shuttle service.
I thought this was a good find and the price was reasonable for our family of four. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: You will hear noise from the Fair - be advised that there are things like demolition derbies and the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sunbunny31
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Wow! Thank you for a great review! We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your thoughts, and we are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It looks like you really took advantage of all of the amenities at the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento. We hope that you and your family will return again soon, and we look forward to seeing you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hungarian first
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Wow. I read some of the reviews and I wondered if we stayed at the same place. My wife and I stayed here for a weekend. We commented on the style of the hotel but in a good way. It's spread out the way they built them when land wasn't so pricey. I sort of like not having to depend on an elevator to go several stories up. Anyway, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The location was across from a huge mall and walking distance to the Cal Expo. Nope, it's not a new hotel, but it's certainly not a dump. We would stay there again. I guess that says it all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FasTxn
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento. We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope to see you again soon!
Henderson, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed her during a recent visit to Sacramento and other than receiving an amazing Doubletree cookie at check in and the comfy bed, the rest could not make up for it.

The hotel is old, you can tell just from the exterior. Depending on what room you get, it might be a matter of walking through hallway after hallway.

The room was small and not that clean. I noticed stains on the walls, carpet, duvet cover,major stains on the bed skirt and side chair. There were slight improvements here and there, such as the LCD TV, granite in the bathroom, but that was about it. I'm not high maintenance or one to pick and probe as I'm way easy going but you can't joke with cleanliness, that's just basic. The room did have a balcony which was nice to step out or let fresh air in the room.

I had dinner and breakfast at their restaurant and the dinner menu was standard, I liked how they had specials. The breakfast was actually nice, as it was a buffet and was reasonably priced.

Also, WHY DO THEY CHARGE FOR PARKING? It's suburban Sacramento, not to mention, their parking lot was most always empty! Eventhough it's only a $7 daily charge, that adds up. Park on the sidewalk and don't pay for that nonsense. Just another attempt for hotels to gouge their guests.

As much as I've love their cookies, I can't say I'll stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor (4th) otherwise you'll hear your upstairs neighbors every footstep.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank YOLOjimmy
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are deeply saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. We understand that additional fees are somewhat unexpected, and for that we apologize. We are looking into and addressing the issues you mentioned. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and look forward to making it up to you upon your return!
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is disappointing for a Hilton hotel! First, carpets are filthy. Showerhead was broken and squirting all over the tub, and check out the photo of the door on the bottom- it won't close.
To top it off, pay $8 parking and $9.99 for internet. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!
Not a restful night for this weary traveler!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We would like the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact the hotel manager to further discuss the issues you came across. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and look forward to your return.

Hotel Manager
(916) 929-8855
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I hate to report this, but personal effects were stolen from my room during a recent stay here. Hotel is huge, has no security cameras, and did nothing to investigate and try to identify the thief. I expect better from a Hilton hotel. This has never happened to me before and I travel on business frequently. Unfortunate but true story.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Iceman749
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for what occurred during your stay. Please contact the hotel manager so we may assist you with this situation.

Hotel Management
(916) 922-4700
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just recently spent my 7th or 8th stay at the Doubletree in Sacramento. I stay overnight in the area to help with family errands so use an internet 3rd party to get it. Would not stay there at full price.

In the old days (3 or 4 years ago), I used to enjoy staying at the Doubletree, as the restaurant was good (we had an awesome family holiday buffet there a few years back and a family party there and a couple of other visits to the restaurant) but the restaurant went through renovation and was inacessible one of my recent trips. Didn't try it this time. There are other things that don't work for me (see below) and additional issues that are inconvenient.

The rooms are OK (clean but dated). I do enjoy the look of the granite countertops in the bathroom and the pewter accessories (ice bucket, etc.). Also, appreciate the two trash cans, so that you can separate your recycling from other trash. Had a room last week with two doubles and the bed I used was comfortable and the LG TV was fine.

What was not fine (in the room) was that someone on the floor above decided to make a lot of noise jumping out of bed (thud) at 5am and stomping. I could not get back to sleep. I was in Unit #4120 in the Folsom Wing. Evidently there is not much insulation between floors.

Other bothersome things about this hotel are that there is no wireless in the rooms (in 2012?) and you have to go down to the lobby to use the wireless. The lobby is WAY far away. They gave me the last room in a very long wing. After working hard all day long and wanting to relax, I'm not walking down to the lobby (many yards away) to pick up my e-mail. Very inconvenient.

Additionally, when I first started staying at the Doubletree several years back, you could park near your room, in their parking lot, for free. Now they charge you $8.00 for the privilege of doing that. Since I was only in town a short time to help an elderly relative, it made no sense to spend $8.00 to park there for 9 hours when I could park on the street. Their parking lot was near empty. I have never seen a situation like that, where a hotel charges for parking, when their parking lot is empty. Usually it's as supply-and-demand thing. Also, if it's for security ---- anyone could get into that parking lot. It makes no sense.

I grew up in the neighborhood where the Doubletree is location so am familiar with the shopping at Arden Fair and the various chain restaurants nearby. Nothing special. I only use this location as a place to sleep to care for my relative.

Staff was friendly. Chocolate chip cookies are a nice touch, but I don't eat sweets so they just went into the suitcase.

For me, this hotel is clean but dated and having no wireless in the rooms and having to walk those very long hallways (because of their odd new parking situation --- which started in Summer, 2010, based on having stayed there several times that year and previously) makes it inconvenient and unworkable for us. It's probably a better place for a young family who stays for a few days and wants to use the pool. We did stay there for 4 days in 2010, with a youngster who enjoyed the pool, and that was fine.

Room Tip: Get one on the top floor (you can hear your upstairs neighbors) and be aware the halls are very long...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MarlySF
Hotel M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your review! We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations. We are looking into the issues you mentioned. We do apologize if there was confusion over the internet in your room. We do have wireless access available in every room. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and look forward to seeing you soon!
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed at this property during a 3-day business trip. The check-in was smooth and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. As always, the chocolate chips cookies were delicious. I was assigned a room in the Arden wing, 2nd floor, 1 queen. The room was recently remodeled and had newer carpet, desk, dresser, and LG flatscreen TV. The bathroom had a granite counter and a newer sink fixture. The toilet kept running and most likely needed a new flapper. The shower enclosure was older as was the fixture. The shower made a loud whining sound when in use. There was in room coffee available, however it did not use it. The hotel has a restaurant and bar in location, which make it convenient. I did not use either of these amenities as there are many dining options nearby and the Arden Mall across the street. There is a small pool, which many guest used. The bed was comfortable, but the walls are thin and the sounds of other guess resinated through the walls. Overall, this is a nice hotel with has many good things going for it. I would stay here again when I return to Sacramento

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing us! We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We are looking into the issues you encountered during your stay, and they will be addressed. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you soon!