“Clean and Comfortable”

Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I patronize Hilton properties on a regular basis and this one does not stand out from other experiences. The rooms are comfortable-spacious and clean. You do walk a lot-this is quite the expansive hotel! Decor is a bit out of date, although there are some modern touches. Staff follows the rules to the letter-no going out of one's way to give you extra perks or add that something nice to your day! Don't get me wrong-they are professional, but my normal experience is the staff at Hilton properties always go that extra mile to make your stay a bit more enjoyable.

Was here for a convention in downtown. Easy public transportation options from this site as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Todd J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hungarian first
San Francisco
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Doubletree in Sacramento is nearby the California State Fair site and Arden Fair Mall, and a short drive to downtown. The hotel is really expansive, and you can do a fair amount of walking depending on where your room is and in what wing. The property seems to be in a constant state of renovation. Imagine the Golden Gate bridge, when you finally get to the end and finish painting, its time to go back to the beginning and start over.
The staff has always been friendly and treated me right at the Sacramento Doubletree, but the property itself just has a "tired" feeling about it. The rooms are adequate and clean, but the "worn" aspect of my most recent room perhaps made it seem less clean than it actually was. Nonetheless, reasonable room rates are often available online, and it is a convenient location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Duke_Ironstone
Chico, California
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Double Tree in Sacramento is not a luxury hotel. It is a clean comfortable stay with the nicest staff you will ever care to meet. My 11 year old son attended a jujitsu convention there and my wife and I attended with him. Good conference facilities and a nice overall atmosphere. Prices were quite reasonable and our room had been newly rennovated. A sprawling rambling hotel with enclosed walkways connecting all of the buildings to each other and the conference center.

Interacted with front desk, operator, room service, restaurant staff, housekeeping, equipment manager and other staff throughout hotel. I have never experienced a nicer group of people working at a hotel. Not just from a professional stand point but folks that were cheerful and genuinely easy to get to know and work with. Unique experience. Their people make the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool or duck pond. There are definately some parking lot views. All rooms ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelingman11122
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I am an honors member and I can't believe that this Double Tree is so disgusting. The room is fair but the building has no sign on it - if you missed it on the road then you don't know which building is the Hotel when you pull up. There is a dumpster out back that is chuck full of stuff so maybe they are working on some of the rooms. The beds are horrible - not good for business travelers especially those that have traveled such a long way. The room has a funny smell. I'm grossed out.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank hrkthy
San Ramon, California
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I've stayed at a few Doubletree Hotels throughout California and have noticed that the older Doubletrees were designed to spread things out quite far and this hotel is no different, hence my title, it'll take you a good few minutes to walk from the lobby area to your room, depending on which wing you're in.

However, I've stayed at this hotel a few times before and have noticed some changes. During my stay previous to this, I was put in a room that needed renovation badly. It was a smaller room, featuring a queen sized bed and a bathroom that was probably considered fashionable when the hotel first opened, I'm guessing in the late 70's/early 80's?

With that said, this time around I was booked in a room in the El Dorado wing, which I think is the farthest wing out there. Thankfully, they have ample parking at each wing for easier access.

My room had two queen beds, but the room was larger and I can tell it was recently renovated but it was starting to show it's age. It was definitely spacious and having the balcony is always a nice touch. The desk area had a connection for wired internet but there was also wireless available too. The Wifi was strong which a rarity for most hotels. There was also a 42" LCD TV with a nice selection of channels. The bathroom area had a vanity area with coffee maker, ice bucket and adjacent closet space. The bathroom area was separate and featured Crabtree & Evelyn amenities which smell amazing!

During my time at the Doubletree, I ate at their main restaurant for dinner and breakfast. For dinner, I had to try the Paprika Rib Eye which was advertised in the room and all throughout the hotel. For $21, it came with an all you can eat salad bar with soup and desserts and a beverage, however, I love my red meat and the steak was okay. It had cajun butter melting all over it but I couldn't taste any flavor, much less, any paprika flavor. During breakfast, I did the breakfast buffet, which had your standard fare of eggs, bacon, waffles, etc. and a standard price of $13.95 per person.

Thankfully, the Doubletree is located in a great area, right across the street from Arden Fair mall, which has a quite a few restaurants, namely Totoro's by Mikuni which serves up THE BEST sushi in the Sacramento area. Shameless plug but I've made the 2.5 hour one way drive from the Bay Area just to have dinner there, multiple times!

However, I must say that the entire staff that I encountered, from the front desk at check in, dinner staff, breakfast staff and front desk staff at check out, they were all super friendly, which is always a nice touch.

However, my biggest disappointment of this trip is also biggest hot button, paid parking! I have no clue why on earth they charge for parking? It's not like the hotel is located in downtown Sacramento or by the airport. $8.00 isn't huge, but it adds up each night.

Overall, the Doubletree is a good hotel, great cookies, ask for more! But, if you have options and want to save yourself $8.00 a night, it wouldn't hurt to keep searching.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank norcalnick
West US
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This is one of those properties that I think is a little too spread out. The walk from check-in to my room was a long one. I asked for one closer to the lobby, but apparently, that's all that was available at that time. The young woman who checked me in was friendly and welcoming which helped ameliorate my disappointment over my room's location. She handed me a welcome bag that contained snacks and water, which I appreciated as an HHonors member. Double doors greeted me at the entrance to my room. So, I knew I had been upgraded. It was quite large and included a separate living/dining area with a wetbar and desk. You could close off the large bedroom, which included the equally large bathroom. I am always grateful for extra space but the furnishings in the room were dated and in desperate need of upgrading. The color choices also made for an unnecessarily dark environment. So, my enthusiasm for the room quickly diminished. I was only there for one night and I did get a very good rate and parking was free. The Arden Fair Mall is across the street if you need to shop, eat, or just pass the time. I think I'll look elsewhere for lodging when I return to Sacramento, but I appreciated the nice folks at the front desk at the Double Tree by Hilton.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JRLAW
kenjr50, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Dear JRLAW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding our hotel! YES, our hotel is large and rambling, and it is one of the only hotels in the Sacramento area that has spacious rooms and gardens, Having said that, reaching some of our guest room building is a couple of minute walk. I’m sorry we did not have a room closer for you, but the closest wing to the lobby of the hotel is going through a full guest room renovation right now, so those rooms we not available. In addition, we have just completed renovating three more buildings of guest rooms and in July we will completely renovate our convention and meeting area. And as of last week our hotel has WIFI throughout!

Thanks for you HHonors participation, and I hope you come back and try us again. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of assistance.

Ken Leone GM
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I drove right by this hotel twice the night I was checking in. It looks just like all the old business parks round it and is only three stories high. Also didn't help that there was no DoubleTree sign or logo anywhere on the building! (I read in another review that this hotel used to be something else and that makes a lot of sense)

Checking in was fine but wait, no cookie??? Isn't this a DoubleTree? Plus get the added "convenience" of paying ($8 a day) for parking in an area that has plenty of free parking around it. Because this hotel is only three stories high, everything is spread out. This means your room is not near where you park, even if you’re paying for it. Bad call on trying to gouge your customers for parking, this isn’t a downtown location…

The rooms are spacious and the bed was very good. Room had a flat screen TV and solid internet access. The one problem with the room was the shower. The showerhead was old and clogged so it didn't spray correctly. This made for a rather unpleasant experience in the shower after a good night’s sleep in a Hilton bed.

The hotel has a sports bar inside but two of the four nights I stayed they were hosting private events. This meant going elsewhere to relax and have a beverage. Luckily there is a great bar/restaurant right across the street called the Elephant Bar. (They don’t charge for parking)

The breakfast was only fair. Limited choices on the buffet included old scrambled eggs, soggy bacon and clumpy oatmeal. I did eat a late breakfast each day (9am) but clearly items were not refreshed from the early morning.

Overall, I would not stay here again if I could find a newer hotel nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Donovanj,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento. I am sorry that we did not provide the quality experience that we should have. We are very focused on the Traveler Reward program, and want to make sure that each guest stay is pleasurable. I have met with our management staff and reviewed the areas you pointed out that we need to improve and asked them to please complete re-training in those areas.
The hotel recently changed ownership and we have been actively involved in renovating the hotel and adding additional signage to the building that will help better identify our hotel from the street (the hotel has been a DoubleTree hotel since 1995…prior to that a Red Lion Hotel). We are also in the process of upgrading our breakfast buffet to add additional items. We just finished installed WIFI throughout our hotel and in all guest rooms, which has been commented on several time in TA reviews.
Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, I am also going to reach out to you through your Trip Advisor address.

My best regards,