“Decent rooms. Terrible food.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
“Decent rooms. Terrible food.”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I recently stayed while attending a conference in Sacramento. The rooms were nice, but the bath tub was a little gross. I got food poisoning from the chicken lunch that was served during the second day of the conference. You are better off eating at a near by restaurant.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Hungarian first
Ventura, CA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a conference 09/19 through 09/22. Check in was easy with the maps and directions to our room. However, as I was walking to my room a coworker asked what I thought of the Hotel signature cookie? Well, what cookie was my answer. Since this is the big signature of the hotel they sure failed at this major initial step. However, cookies aside, the actual running of the hotel was fine. The room was nice and clean with two beds, desk, computer work space, large flat screen TV, coffee maker and creamer, nice towels and a good air conditioning system. I needed more hangers and the room attendant in the next room was nice about giving me those from that room. As the week progressed the room was always cleaned first thing in the morning which was much appreciated. I give a lot of credit to the hotel staff for running such a large conference oriented hotel. I would not stay here with my family as a destination but for a conference, it meets all of the travelers needs. Except of course if you are hungry for a cookie!

Room Tip: Higher floor so you don't hear the people above you walking around. Ask for a room overlooking...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We held a reunion at the DoubleTree Hotel last weekend and the staff couldn't have been nicer or easier to work with. We got cooperation in every aspect of the planning and hosting. There was a problem with the reservation people being aware of the event but Amy in the catering department fixed it but not before it cost them some overnight guests. The room we stayed in was very nicely done, spacious and quiet. Breakfast in the coffee shop the following morning was very nice with one the sweetest waitresses I've ever met making it a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a Statewide conference on the 12th-14th of September 2011. I have absolutely no complaints to make about this hotel. From the minute we checked in, the service was marvelous. The gentleman checking us in was very pleasant and efficient. We did get a little turned around once and asked a passing employee for directions. He didn't just point; rather he went out of his way to take us to our destination. The hotel is large, and the wings are connected by passages that do look alike and can be confusing. This is not a hotel I would select for a vacation, but for a function of any size, it's perfect! There are large ballrooms and then smaller conference rooms, all of which were clean and well maintained. The hotel catered our lunch both days, and the food was excellent! The grounds are very well kept and the parking areas were clean. Our room was very pleasant; large and clean. There is a vanity area separate from the bathroom, which was very convenient. The shower was nice, with good pressure. The furnishings are modern and attractive, with an HD flatscreen TV. No refrigerator or microwave, though, which would have been nice. The Arden Fair Mall is across the main street and is enormous, with dozens of stores. There is a great Cheesecake Factory and many other places to eat. There is also an Elephant Bar across a side street from the hotel and is within very easy walking distance. All in all, I would heartily recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We were in the "El Dorado" wing, and never heard a sound from anyone else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsskceb
Rohnert Park, California
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Our stay was pleasant until one evening when about 1:30 AM another party came back to his room with a bunch of LOUD people, talking very loudly in the corridor and foul language blasting through the door and walls. Mind you, they were only two rooms over from us. I figured they would go inside and quiet down. That would have been fine but they ended up talking outside on the balcony LOUDLY About 3:00 AM I had enough of the inconsiderate behavior and phoned the front desk after which obtaining their room number. Security came to the room pounding on their door at least five times before they could hear that someone was at their door. Security had asked them to quiet down. The guy in the room told him "they were just hanging out" after security left everything went back to as it was and we did our best to drown out their noise. I was tempted to phone again and probably should have, I was pretty ticked off. About 5:00 AM it was quiet. This definitely ruined my sleep and we had plans for a very long day out. It was hot while staying in this city to boot and so our day was spent in an irritable mood ALL day! I feel that security should have had them leave and also for the law "fire policy" There were too many people in that room! As far as the hotel is concerned it's clean, well maintained. Their pool is beautiful and refreshing but not heated. The workers at the hotel are accommodating and gracious. The rooms have a slider door but no screen. Would have been nice to have a screen on the door. But, as for the evening of "hell" having had the door open would have been fruitless. Also no chairs for the balcony. They need out door chairs there with a table. That would have been nice. Of course there is always one bad apple to ruin someone's sleep but with a hotel with such a high reputation and being on the up scale side they should not let this occur. There is a bar in the hotel this person with his friends could have gone to the bar and as far as "hanging out" that many people did not belong in that one room. You may agree or not agree it is my feeling and my opinion. I might add we had visited the "Elephant Bar" across from the hotel. Up scale place, good food, great environment. A variety of food on the menu. We had a good time there. All over old town is an excellent place to browse around, take in museums etc....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the gym. Though small, it has all the necessities and is very clean.

The layout of this hotel is pretty strange. There is the main building, with the usual coffee bar, restaurant, check in, etc. From there, you walk through second floor corridors that connect to several "arms" of the hotel, where there are 4 levels of rooms. The only other access to these other buildings is through hidden, nondescript doors. At night, these entrances are poorly lit and a bit scary to use.

The tub in our room had a very slow draining drain, and I called to ask for someone to come up and take a look. I don't know if anyone actually did any work, as there was no note left, or follow up of any kind, and I didn't notice any difference in the drain in the 4 days of our stay.

Also, on one occasion, housekeeping cleaned our room without leaving any fresh bath towels. I tracked down the lady with the cart in the hallway and asked for some towels. I was told that they had run out. Clean towels seem to be in short supply at the pool, too. Upon arriving at the pool on our first day, I noticed a lot of used towels strewn about but no clean ones in the cabinet. I had to call 3 times before someone came around to replenish the towels.

Also, be aware that the fairgrounds are nearby, and there may be a lot of night time noise due to concerts, fireworks, etc. I happened to stay at the hotel during the state fair, and there was a lot of noise.

On several occasions, I walked to and from my room and noticed the same discarded room service trays in front of doors left there over the course of several hours.

There are no refrigerators in the rooms, so if you take snacks back to your room, they should be non-perishable.

The restaurant in the lobby is on par with your typical Denny's or Coco's.

Overall, it was tolerable, but is that what you really want to say about a hotel?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MarinaMusica
Orange County
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I read the reviews on trip advisor before staying at this hotel. I did look for other hotels in the area because the reviews for this hotel weren't that great, but decided to stay here because the wedding we were attending was at this location. So my review is relative to my expecations. I did not expect much of this place, but was pleasantly surprised. While it is not a luxury hotel by any means, for the price (half the price stated on the trip advisor site, got hotel through "hotels with extra rooms site") it was great. Hotel towels were thin, and bathroom smelled a little of mildew, but room was clean and remodeled. Bathroom was decent. For the price of a motel 6, I would much rather stay here.

Room Tip: Get the cookies from the front desk!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends