“Not in Love” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
dave
“Not in Love”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I don't normally go this far, but I would never stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else. Personnel are friendly enough, but the stay is not worth the money. The hotel is very dirty, the breakfast is seriously lacking (although the cockroaches seem to like it), and the area has nothing going on in the evening. No fridge, no iron (but an ironing board), and a very small bed (even for super-snugglers). Stay somewhere less specialized and more down-to-earth.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank spunkmeyer

Eureka, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

My father and I recently stayed here when we came to Sacramento for a family reunion. The place is nice, nothing spectacular. The staff was friendly. Yes, you will hear sirens as the emergency vehicles race by. You will also hear the Amtrak horns from the station that's 1/2 mile away. These don't/didn't bother me, but I can understand how it would for others. There is one restaurant across the street (Sophia) which is really nice, but they have limited hours of operation. If you're hungry when they are closed, you have to walk several blocks to find another place, or order a pizza in, or as a last resort, feed the vending machines in the "courtyard". My main complaint was the beds. I found them to be as hard as rocks. It was very difficult for me to get comfortable, and I would waken with my lower back screaming in pain. So, if you are on a budget, this place is satisfactory. Nothing special. But if you want more amenities, then I'd spend the extra money and stay at a more upscale place.

• Liked — Close to Amtrak
  • Disliked — The beds were very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Bethesda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

This place is a shack. Old building, old paint, old elevator, old furniture... my room was clean, though. But the bath tub was completely clogged.

Parking is very crowded. Cars coming in an out (and driving by) make more noise than most people would like. There is a apparently a railroad not far from the hotel. The trains aren't too obnoxious, but again, louder than you would expect.

The hotel is run by some Indian dude and his wife. They live in a building that stands in the hotel yard, and the reception desk is nothing more than the back room of their apartment. You can see the other living areas (beds, TV, table, etc.) when they open the door. They act very unprofessional, staying most of the time inside their "apartment" and mostly coming out when a doorbell rings.

If you arrive late, you'll be checked in through a window. I had to stand for >10 minutes out in the cold waiting while that dude was trying to figure out what was going on with his computer.

"Continental breakfast" is a joke. There was one (sic) bagel and one muffin, a bowl of jam packs, and about 2 glasses of orange juice in a dull-glass pitcher.

Free wi-fi is ok, but don't expect to find a printer there. Not even for a fee.

Personally, next time I would rather pay and extra $25 and stay at the Holiday Inn Express across the road.

• Liked — At least the room was clean
  • Disliked — Uncaring staff; poor overall feel
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Orange County CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

This review is based on my first and last experience with the hotel.

Parking is a nightmare! I trained at a gym in Sacramento and when I returned back in the morning to start my day all the spaces were taken, when I enquired about this, it turns out they sell the spaces to the city workers downtown so I ended up having to pay the parking meters. Also one evening my trash cans from the room were left outside my door with no liner in them. I had to go to the front desk to get more towels since they neglected to put fresh ones in the room. The carpets are stained and nasty looking, and to top it all off the last day I was here when i arrived back at my room in the evening it hadnt even been cleaned! When I called the front desk to voice my displeasure with this I was just told "sorry about that"I would give this place zero stars if I were allowed to. My recomendation is to search elsewhere, this place is awful!

• Liked — internet access
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

Following a reduction in the number of nights we had in the Pacific due to bad weather, we arrived in the USA a couple of days earlier than planned and with our first port of call San Francisco already booked, we fancied trying somewhere different for a couple of nights so booked a cheap flight from LA to Sacramento on Southwest.

We booked the Travelodge Capital Center as it was quite reasonable at $65 + tax a night and after a long flight from the Cook Islands to LA, and then a short flight from LA we arrived in Sacramento early evening.

First impressions were ok. It looked like a typical run of the mill Travelodge and we were checked in smoothly, although the lady on the front desk could have smiled a bit more!!!

Room was dated, but clean. The king bed was amazing, although anything was going to feel like that after 6 months of hard beds, camping and hostels previous on our trip. The bathroom area was very small, and the shower and cubicle although powerful could have been better.

Location was good, slightly shady area although there was a Best Western almost opposite the hotel. All the attractions were about 10-15min walk away, we particularly enjoyed the old part of Sacramento, and the Capitol and gardens, very pleasant.

We had no real problems with the hotel but I don't think I would stay there again. In fact I don't think we would return to Sacramento, it was ok for 2 nights but there is obviously more for the tourist orientated to do in the big cities on the west coast. Although saying that we found the Sacramento people to be very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Location was good
  • Disliked — Tired rooms and unhelpful staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ju123
Oakland, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2006

I booked this hotel for a conference because the recommended hotel was full. Here are some notes on my experience:

1. The hotel is filthy. Crumbs in the elevator, peeling wallpaper, general ickyness.

2. The hotel is run-down. If you're not too worried about it, this isn't a big deal. Just know that it is really, really shabby.

3. The employees are incompetent. It took literally four trips up and back to my room before anyone could figure out how to make a key that actually opened the door.

4. Totally unsafe, with a staff unresponsive to saftety issues. A woman and two men had a raging fight outside my door around 8 PM (her screaming: "He's stealing my purse! Let go of me! Help!!"). The fight escalated and then continued in to the room directly next to mine. I called the front desk, and they said they'd be up right away, but no one came. Fifteen minutes into the fight, fearing for my own safety, I checked out.

5. Oh yeah, and there were no security locks on the inside of the door.

Sure, it is walking distance to the Convention Center, but really, think twice about this one. Not worth it.

• Liked — Cheap as anything.
  • Disliked — Everything. Lack of safety and security.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Esoterica
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

The location of the hotel can hardly be beat. Walking disctance to downtown Sacramneto, the State Capitol, Convention Center, and plenty of restaurants and shopping. Rooms were clean and service was good. They offer free High Speed Internet and a continental breakfast. Rooms were clean and seemed a little dated but again very clean. A great value and a great location are the key assets to this hotel.

1 Thank Yoshizomi