“Almost not ok to stay here at all”

Super 8 Sacramento/Florin Rd
Ranked #49 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
“Almost not ok to stay here at all”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The people at the desk could not speak english, there was smoking in non-smoking rooms, guests was smoking in the hallways. The worst was the pool. It was smaller than a bathtub. The pictures at the website shows a nice big pool, it was not.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Virtuella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I has been a long time since my last visit to Super 8s. Motel 6s are my style but I decided to move up in the world and booked at room at Super 8 Sacramento. OK, a quick friendly check in; very nice king sized bed with four pillows; more room than I can use; fridge and micro--nice touch. I could get use to this. Overall, impressive for what I paid for. I will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank billstan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Many of the pros and cons of this "budget" chain are so well-known, no need to repeat the general ones. This property is convenient for people on their way to South Tahoe and who would want to get mostly through Sacramento before heading into cute-old-restored-gold-mining-town territory. Good things: mini-refrigerator, microwave, WiFi included in room rate, plenty of hot water in a strong shower, and the best anyone could expect in a breakfast selection, including one of those waffle machines you rotate by yourself. Less good things: the WiFi had limited bandwidth and wasn't very strong; the toilet was blocked before we used it; and there is nothing at all attractive about the location of the property. The common areas could have used a good cleaning. The room price seemed to be higher than similar properties in similar areas. But overall, no real problems and I would stay there again--if I ever planned to be in that area again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Goloh
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had a two week service job at Sacramento downtown and I needed to find a hotel nearby. Like everyone else who stays at budget hotels, I had some bad experience in the past. I found this Super 8 from Tripadvisor, and it easily exceeded my expectations. first of all, the room was very quiet. I don't know if because I was staying on the third floor, but I heard no noises from other guests or from the roads. I also like the fact that the room had both fridge and microwave as well as a very fast Wi-Fi connection. The bed was big and comfortable and room service privided new clean sheets everyday. Plus, a Denny's, a Chinese restaurant and a Mexican restaurant are all walking distance. For me, this is where I am going to stay whenever I am in Sacramento. Thanks, Super 8.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Geo G
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This place is clean and well-kept. I was afraid the given the price I paid, I wasn’t sure what I would get. To my surprise, I got a great room. The king one bedroom was very quiet and everything worked! For dinner, I walked to IHOP and checked out the local mall. Everything was new there. I saw a security guard during the night time. I wouldn’t stay anywhere there wasn’t a security guard. There are so many low life junkies breaking into cars now these days. If all budget hotels were like this, they would put Holiday Inn Expresses and Hampton Inns out of business. Overall, excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Andrew S
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Agree with other reviewers. I found the Super 8 Florin to be clean and comfortable, except.....you have to be able to tolerate smoke (of all kinds). I was happy to be assigned to a room on the 3rd floor, away from the 1st floor 'smoking section.' Amazingly, the 3rd floor hallway is virtually devoid of any smoke smell. As soon as I entered the room, WOW, the smoke was a complete assault. I returned to the desk asking for another room farther away from the stench. I was given a room more toward the end of the hallway. It had been meticulously 'Febreezed' and I was surprised I couldn't discern any smell of smoke at all. Unfortunately the Febreeze effect lasted only until about midnight (5 hours). I put up with the stench as long as I could, but ended up leaving at 3am. Bottom line: if you smoke, or don't mind smelling smoke, this place is a great deal. If you cannot tolerate smoke, stay elsewhere. Location is right next to 99S; there is discernable freeway noise, but the smell was infinitely more intrusive than the passing cars. Close to Methodist Hospital and Kaiser South Sac.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, this place is for you.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed October 28, 2011

There is a saying "You get what you pay for" and the Super 8 Florin is no exception. If you want a modern, super clean room then you'll want to stay elsewhere such as the Marriott or Red Lion and cough up the serious extra clams to do so I might add. On the other hand if you are looking for a great bargain and just want a place to crash for the night then the Super 8 Florin provides a good value for the dollar.

Now for the cheap price you might expect a dive but thankfully the motel is OK. While the inside looks like the building could use more then just a fresh coat of new paint what really matters is how comfortable the sleep is -- the bed and pillows are fine. Since the motel allows smoking, you may notice some of the rooms tend to exhibit a strong smell. Turning on the AC thankfully cleared up the air in the room; the low temperature setting was great. Power outlets seem to be lacking and/or very inconveniently located which is mildly frustrating if you are wanting to charge your laptop or phone. The bathroom is OK - it is clean which is the most important thing. The TV is an old CRT, so it is not possible to use it as an external HDMI monitor.

Service was friendly.

Bottom Line: Average motel, with a great price.

Pros:
+ Inexpensive.
+ Quick access off the 99.
+ AC freshens the air.
+ Denny's restaurant is next door; open till midnight.
+ Shell Gas Station is across the street.

Cons
- Outdated / worn down inside, bordering on run down
- 2nd floor has smoke smell
- No smoking rooms fill up fast; only rooms available may be smoking.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor to avoid the smoke smell.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Michaelangelo T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sacramento
Americas Best Value Inn - Sacramento/Elk Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Sacramento Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elk Grove East
Extended Stay America - Sacramento - Elk Grove
Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Elk Grove Laguna I-5
Good Nite Inn Sacramento
Good Nite Inn Sacramento
#31 of 81 in Sacramento

Been to Super 8 Sacramento/Florin Rd? Share your experiences!