“We felt like we were staying with family. Our stay was wonderful.”

Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Dallas Texas
“We felt like we were staying with family. Our stay was wonderful.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

Our stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Expo was wonderful. Our every need was anticipated and met immediately. Our room was very comfortable and very nice. We ended up staying 14 nights and were very pleased. The staff was efficient and friendly - ready to help with carrying packages and gear while going to and from our car throughout our stay. We were on a baby watch - our new grand daughter was more than a week late and everyone joined us in the excitment - celebrating when she was finally born healthy and well.
The Internet service worked without hesitation. The breakfast was attended and cooked inhouse. There were hot scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravy and sausage, plus muffins, bagels, fruit, orange juice, milk, dry cereal, yogurt and coffee every morning. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening dinner is also served and it is tasty and well done, as well. The pool was pristine and stocked with plenty of towels as well as a barbeque where families can cook a meal by the pool. We felt at home at The Residence Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

I stayed here for a conference at the Convention Center which was about a 5 mile drive. The rooms are positioned like a courtyard apartment style where if you open your door, you are going outside. As for the room itsef, I had an old skool Zenith TV with no frills, a fireplace, microwave, fridge, and dishwasher. The bed was the best part of the room, very comfy. The A/C made a lot of noise but it worked pretty well. The bathroom is very outdated. My bathtub shower knob was loose and didn't turn correctly. I also woke up to find a spider in the bathtub, eeek! Breakfast was ok, with coffee, donuts, cereals, oatmeals, etc.

All -n- all I would only stay here again as a last resort. However, the surrounding area (Arden Arcade) has a ton of shops and restaurants, everything a tourist would need.

• Liked — The Bed!
  • Disliked — The smell and outdated room.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
So. California,USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

we arrived early to the hotel (approx 10:30 am) check in wasnt until 3pm, but we thought that we would take a chance with the front desk The front desk manager was very polite, but took our cell phone number and said that they would call us if anything became available. My family and i visited the local mall and we recieved a phone call from checkin with in 40 minutes.
the lobby of the hotel is attractive and well maintained, however, it ajoins an enormous greatroom that doubles as an eating/ loungeing area. A little noisy .... but the buffet style breakfast(which is included in the cost of the stay...) is well worth the trade off! They also have dinnner meals that are included in the price of your room if you stay during a weekday. The room was nice, not overly so....but clean. The queen bed was very comfortable, but i had made arrangements, when making my reservations by phone, for a "no-cost" roll away bed to be delivered, and after settling in, i called housekeeping, where they had informed me that the ROLL AWAY BEDS WERE CONSIDERED TO BE A FIRE-CODE VIOLATION.. AND WAS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS LOCATION.. She switched me to the front desk, where the manager offered to try to find us a different room that would accomadate us, but we decided to stay and 'make-do' in the room, since we had already unpacked all of our things.The grounds were well maintained, as well as the pool, jaccuzi and fitness center and there is no charge for over night parking.
There is a local 24 theater across the street,a Red Lobster, Pizza eatery, some shopping, and a block down there is a Starbucks. Further(approx 3/4 mil) is a large shopping mall with MORE theaters, shops and eating. The California Exposition is further away...over 1 mile... it could been easily walked, however, it was over 100 degrees and my family and i opted to drive & pay the $8 parking fee.

• Liked — its close proximity to attractions
  • Disliked — room ws a little dated
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
algonquin, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

I have stayed in and around Sacramento in a variety of hotels as I have to travel on business from Chicago. After the last trip I will only stay here. The large suites are picture perfect, with tons of room if you're traveling with family. Wireless/Broadband is available, and you can literally set up a portable office in your room.
Like everyone, I want certain things when I stay.
Service: Great front desk people, courteous and responsive cleaning staff. Everyone goes out of their way to say hello.
Cleanliness: Very clean. You can tell that the staff do not do the cursory job you seem at some hotels. My rooms there have been sparkling.
Good cable TV: Yes, they have it.
Access to restaurants and shopping: Located on a drag near Cal-Expo, there is a plethura of fast food type places, and you're close to shopping.
Ease of ingress/exiting: Only drawback. Because the hotel is located on a busy street, traffic can be a challenge. If you have to cross lanes to leave then avoid rush hours.

• Liked — Spacious suties, great service, and clean rooms.
  • Disliked — traffic in the morning and evening is challenging
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel while visiting family in Sacramento. We chose this hotel due to its location in relation to the people we were visiting.

Our room was very spacious and well laid out - living room, dining room, kitchen combo downstairs and a loft bedroom upstairs. There were 2 bathrooms and there was also a murphy bed downstairs. It would be a nice arrangement for a longer stay or additional people since there was space to spread out.

The upstairs bed was reasonably comfortable and the linens were fine. We didn't try the murphy bed downstairs.

The room had been partially updated - new counters over old cabinets, older appliances, new carpet and window treatments, newer furnishings, old popcorn ceilings (and our room was upstairs with no one above, so no reason for a popcorn ceiling). Overall it was clean and reasonably well cared for, but there was room for improvement.

The hotel is located on a busy street, but close to quite a bit - so the location has positives and negatives, depending on what you are looking for.

The people at the hotel were very friendly and the complimentary breakfast was above average. The coffee was ok, but not great. We went down the street to Peet's to get our morning fix.

• Liked — Spaciousness of the room
  • Disliked — That the room had only been partially updated when they remodelled.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2008

It's hard not consider price when rating a hotel room, In this case I paid $155 plus taxes for a "suite". Unfortunately this was a partially updated room (countertops and furnishings) but the appliances floors and cabinets were really beaten. When I arrived the room was about 90 F (no exaggeration!) due to a faulty bath heater.

I always stay at Marriott because of well-trained staff and well-kept rooms. This was an exception to the well-kept rooms experience. the room reminded me of one of the many recycled hotels that get re-branded when they fall into disrepair.

If I have other experiences like this hotel, I will re-think my Marriott preference.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Belmont94002
Northern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed here one night and one day while our hardwood floors were being refinished. We made the reservations directly with the hotel in hopes of checking in early. The front desk told us that a room would be available at noon. We arrived at noon and of course, no we didn't say that line. So, I was a little frustrated since, I called only an hour before. If they had sai no they didn't have any rooms available until check-in I would have found other things to do until that time. Anyways, we came back at 5 pm to check-in.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom so, that my husband could go to bed early for an early day at work. The 2 bedroom did not work out well as the master is located on the second floor and is a loft that opens up into the living room & kitchen. The other bedroom was off the living room with french doors that didn't offer much sound proofing.

Also, with my kids running up and down the stairs I felt sorry for the person below me as the floors moved as they walked. I could hear the maid in the unit next to us in the morning. We were in unit 911 which was far from the traffic noise of Howe Avenue so, that was nice.

The matress was horrible as it was too soft almost like a foam matress. The countertops in the bathroom & kitchen were updated. However, the cabinets looked very sad and need replacing as well as the flooring. The baseboards were very dirty. The place was okay clean but not perfectly clean. The coffee table was scratched up. Also, the place was very dark.

The daily breakfast was nice. We had a choice of pancakes, eggs, sausage, 3 juices, freshly made waffles, muffins, toast, bagels, yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, potatoes, etc.. It was adequate but nothing to write home about but definitely cheaper than eating out.

I'd stay here if I needed to but not as a vacation spot.

• Liked — Convenient to restaurants, shopping mall, etc...
  • Disliked — Not very clean and thin walls.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family