Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo
$76
$198
$186
  • Pool
All reviewsfull kitchencal expopenthouse suiteyogurtpotato saladsmall living room areaelliptical machinesofa bednice place to stayrestaurants and shoppingpool and jacuzzirooms are spaciouswaffle makerthe bed was super comfortablevolleyball tournamentcalled the front desklaundry room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days around thanksgiving this year. The staff was pleasant and courteous and very friendly/helpful. Our penthouse suite was large enough for our family of 5, and everything was in working order. The beds were very comfortable and the complex itself was very quiet. The breakfast and happy hour were very nice compliments to our family who are big eaters and they had a wide variety of choices, many healthy options, fruit, low sugar yogurt, oatmeal and hot food choices of eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles. The breakfast and happy hour staff were very nice and helpful with certain requests. There are a lot of choices for restaurants and shopping within walking distance and is kind of "center" to all the things to do in Sacramento. My only con would be the rooms are very old and outdated. The carpet and appliances, couch were worn and dirty and needs desperate upgrades. Will stay here again with the family when we are back in town.

Room Tip: away from the street, mid way back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us and that our staff here lived up to the Marriott expectation of service. We take pride in our service here at our hotel and it is nice to hear that our hard work has paid off. We are very aware that our property is dated and in need of updating which is why I am pleased to tell you that we are starting a full property renovation February 1, 2014. By the summer of2014 we hope to present the Arden area with a brand new hotel. So hopefully the next time you visit us we will have a brand new product for you.

Thanks again for taking the time to reveiw our property and we look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am a Marriott Rewards Member & this was my first time staying at a Residence Inn. Upon check in the front desk was very nice & helpful. Continental breakfast was also a plus. Rooms are very roomy. I didn't like the rooms at all. The rug looked old, bathrooms looked old & the kitchen and furniture just looked old. Really wasn't what I expected for a Marriott hotel. I think this hotel maybe just needs an remodel. It just seemed like a lot of ppl lived there as their residence. But than again, it is a Residence Inn lol so I think ppl actually live here. The pool area wasn't all that great either.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KTP-KVP
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

First and foremost, Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member. We truely appreciate your patronage and feedback from your most recent visit. I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our front desk associates. I am please to inform you that our rooms are due to be fully renovated by the Summer of 2014. We are really excited to get a brand new gatehouse and rooms. So thanks again for being a Marriott Rewards member and we hope that you chose us again the next time you are in Sacramento.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Had to book this hotel for business as all the other hotels were booked solid. The area was a little suspect and hotel was very tired. Front desk staff, and other staff I ran into were extremely courteous and very friendly. The room had been "renovated" which comprised of installing granite on very old cabinets, old worn out couch, new desk in the kitchen (strange layout), the same appliances my parents had in the 1970's (not kidding) and a very small bed. Between the noise coming from the fridge, the AC and the AC units outside my room, it was not a peaceful nor restful night's rest.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for chosing Residence Inn Cal Expo during you most recent visit to Sacramento. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience with our staff during your arrival process. In regards to our property, I am please to let you know that we are on the brink of a complete renovation. I believe while you were here we were repairing our staircases which was the renovation that was spoken of. So please know that we are expecting to be fully renovated and brand new by the summer of 2014. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you choose us again the next time you are in Sacramento.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have always liked the “classic” Residence Inn layout, so when business took me to Sacramento I booked here.

The hotel is located near East Sacramento in an area that is dense with every conceivable type of commercial development: big malls, strip malls, movie theaters, drug stores, fast food joints, chain restaurants and an indoor karting track. No matter what you forgot to pack, you can probably buy it nearby. Note to GPS users: Howe Avenue has a center divider, which restricts left turns to certain spots. You may have to drive past the hotel and make a U-turn to enter the parking lot.

This type of Residence Inn dates back decades and the property is showing its age. When I stayed there workmen were renovating some of the units and exterior areas. When I stepped into the gatehouse, I noted the dark wood look that’s fallen out of favor with hotel designers. But it was definitely clean and comfortable.

The young lady at the front desk cheerfully advised they were having a promotion and produced a homemade “wheel of fortune” for me to spin. I won an extra 250 points on my Marriott account and walked away with a smile on my face. Nice touch.

The driveway around the hotel is one-way, so I drove around the entire perimeter to get to my room. As other reviewers have noted, some of the folks staying here look a little dodgy, and they appear to be living there on an extended basis. I have a pretty high urban gross out threshold, so it was no big deal. But this may be off-putting to some travelers.

Got a surprise when I entered my ground floor room only to find it occupied by one of the aforementioned sketchy guests. I bid a hasty retreat, returned to the front desk and advised the clerk this did not inspire confidence. She switched me to a second story room that was more toward the interior of the complex. I liked having a little distance both horizontally and vertically between me and the colorful characters out in the parking lot.

My room was the standard queen suite familiar to everyone who has stayed at this vintage of Residence Inn. Today it’s easy for travelers to book a suite, but back in the day having the extra space was revolutionary. The case goods were not new, but they were in good condition. Ditto for the linens and towels. My room (313) was spotless and odor-free.

One thing I just LOVE about Residence Inns is that the full-sized HVAC system instead of a puny window shaker. It was in the mid-90s outside, but my room cooled off in no time. Another nice touch can be found in the closet, where you’ll find real hangers instead of those frustrating anti-theft models. On the other side of the ledger, the free wi-fi wasn’t very fast. It was OK for basic web surfing, but not for more bandwidth-intensive applications. The LCD TV was of decent size, but the channel selection was modest and the picture quality was below average. (Everybody looked orange.) I’d like to see a remote control that permits guests to adjust the picture.

Didn’t eat breakfast, so can’t comment on that. My statement was hanging on my doorknob the next morning, so I didn’t have to go back to the gatehouse to check out.

SUMMARY: I really like this layout and its amenities, such as the nuclear-powered air conditioning. So the next time I head for Sacramento the Residence Inn Cal Expo will be my home away from home. But if you just have to have the latest and greatest in contemporary design, or if you don’t care to rub shoulders with inked-up guys wearing partner-beater T-shirts, then maybe you should stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Request second story, close to interior of the complex.
Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank E31_Owner
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property here at the Residence Inn Cal Expo. As far as the state of the property, we have started renovating the stair cases for all of our units and we will start an full interior renovation in November.

I want to deeply appologize for checking you into an already occupied room. There are no excuses for that mistake and I will make sure to touch base with my front desk staff when it comes to check-in proceedures to insure this doesn't happen in the future. Again, I sincerely apologize.

Hopefully the next time you visit us here at the Residence Inn we will surpass your service expectations and also have a new product for you in our rooms. Thank you again for your patronage and please visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Once again my mind was blown. It was no problem to simply ask Kristel at the front desk for a Gold Member room upgrade. I received one of those awesome two-story penthouse upgrades which I adore because a. I want stairs too. b. My actual home is smaller than the whole suite.

Cleanliness is one of the reasons I am an avid Marriott member. If I see a hair I will throw-up.

So, though we did get this great sized room, when we walked in there was an open Sprite on the counter, in the downstairs bathroom there was a small towel on the floor, the kitchen floor was so sticky that I couldn't walk on it without getting skeeved-out, and finally it looked like every old piece of stained and scuffed furniture had been thrown into this penthouse.

This all made me go back and forth about the experience. Loved the easy Gold Member room upgrade that I've paid so much money to have, but felt terrible in such a dirty room.

All-in-all, I think I preferred the dirty room upgrade. I would rather have had the large room than a spotless small room. In an ideal Marriott world I would have had both. But no problem in the end because Kristel was so cool about the upgrade. Thanks Kristel.

p.s. I think you should still leave a tip for the housekeeper when leaving a dirty room, I learned this about myself, because I'll bet lots of people don't even know that they should leave a tip for them to begin with. Young people are, generally speaking, know little about politeness and etiquette.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for recognizing Kristel for a job well done. We take pride in our service here at our property and hope that all guests have the service experience that you did. In regards to the cleanliness issue, we are in the process of re-training all of our employees on the importance of paying particular attention to cleanliness. We are working hard to make sure all of our employees are paying attention to the details when it comes to providing a welcoming and comfortable stay. Thank you again for reviewing our property and we hope to have the chance at serving you again soon.