“If you have no other choice”

Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo
Ranked #36 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was late to planning for an event and all the other Marriott facilities within 20 miles were booked. So even though it did not have the best ratings I chose this place. It seems like they took an old run down apartment complex and made it into a residence inn. The staff was great but the flexing stairs and floors and the oooold rooms left a lot to be desired. That being said, there were no bugs or too much noise. Almost forgot, I put a do not disturb on the door as I had equipment out that I did not anyone to see or try to manipulate. Sure enough, someone went right in to the room while I was gone and made up the room. Now all of my gear was still there but it was annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for the upstairs rooms, 50% of them are a two level loft setup.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jagwire858

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family of five booked a two bedroom for one night. I had stayed in this hotel before although it had been many years and was surprised, as other reviewers have noted, that the surrounding area had taken a turn for the worse. We had reserved a two bedroom loft. The master bedroom was upstairs in the loft and had it's own bathroom. There were two queen beds in the second bedroom and a sofa bed. I had two complaints about the room. The first; the sofa bed. When my son and I opened the sofa to take out the bed and unfolded it, there were crumbs and who knows what else under the mattress. The other complaint had to do with the light in the stairwell going up to the loft. I understand the need to have one but it was so bright, I thought I was sleeping in the daytime- it would've been nice to have a switch to either turn it off or a dimmer switch to lessen the brightness. If there was one, I didn't see or find it. The breakfast was OK - better than most continental breakfasts as there were scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes. Overall, the room was very comfortable and very quiet and if in Sacramento again, I would consider another stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2012

after being on the orad for 5 days, this was my last stop for this tour. The hotel was ok, but the area around it was a little run down. There are a lot of transients around and some fo the food areas look unappealing. When you get about two to three miles away, the entire area changes, food places look better and shops are in better shape. It is close to the highway and about 20 minutes from Sac International.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the middle fo the complex and not up front. Rooms in building 10 and lower are be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Have stayed here for one night for the past few Saturdays due mainly to the location of this hotel. (Been visiting a family member) Although the front of the place looks like a motel, the inside of the rooms were very nice. Huge kitchen area with all appliances if you need them and also fully stocked with pans, dishes and silverware. The one king bed we had upstairs was very big and comfy, however the queen bed that we were supposed to get was a pull down bed from the wall which was small, low to the ground, and very springy. Our last stay on Saturday was a little miserable because it was 106 outside and the A/C was not working properly. We could not get it to come below 80. They have it programmed so you cant mess with it, which I thought was ridiculous. I should be able to adjust the A/C if I want-I am paying for my stay. Of coarse the A/C didnt turn down until the middle of the night and then we were all freezing. We couldnt get the A/C to go back up either. So it was hot then freezing. Breakfast room was packed and not many choices even first thing in the morning. Pool area is OK-not very big. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Overall, this place is a 3 out of 5. I think if they do a little remodling and fix the A/C issues, and get better beds then this place would be a 5.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suites are the way to go!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Checked in here with my wife and granddaughter for a visit to Sac. This appears to be one of the older Residence Inn's. It was clean and the staff were very friendly.

The rooms were clean, although our room had a musty smell that went away after we turned on the AC.

We stopped by happy hour and breakfast. Happy hour had food, hamburgers, etc and the beer and wine were good. Breakfast was great. Everything you wanted buffet style.

If you have a family staying at a Residence Inn will save you money if they serve meals. Each one is different so you may have to call to see what they have.

The location near Cal Expo was good. The neighborhood looks OK. We were comfortable walking to a nearby restaurant and a yogurt shop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunnski
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Had a queen room, very good size plus seating area, good sized desk. Cooker and microwave so we were able to cook an evening meal. Even had a dishwasher. Bed was very comfortable.Walking distance to Diners. Short distance to shopping mall. Not too far from Downtown.
Our only complaint would be we had nosiy people above us with a child running up and down at 5.30 in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Close to shopping and restaurants. Great breakfast and clean rooms. Pool and jacuzzi were perfect. Will return!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business