“Great choice in downtown Sacaramento -but be careful if you like bathtubs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Sacramento

Double Your Points
Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersGold level
Palo Alto, California
“Great choice in downtown Sacaramento -but be careful if you like bathtubs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

The Hyatt Regency in downtown Sacaramento has been one of my favorite hotels in the area. Great location across from the Capitol. The staff is friendly , the weekend rates in particular are good, and the rooms are more than comfortable. In fact, the hotel is just completing a major renovation with a fresh brown, red and white color scheme, new bedding and large flat screen televisions .

With the new rooms and bathroom remodes, however, there's a catch. King bedded rooms only have large showers, if you want a bathtub you need to ask for a room with two double beds. (The front desk cheerfully changed my room when I realized this, but they might not always have the space to do so.)

There is a 9.99 charge for internet, better than some chain hotels, and parking is 17.00.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sportsbabe59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here on Monday, March 30, as a last minute priceline deal. At $80 it was a super deal. Big room, comfy bed, coffee, wifi, and well appointed bath. Seventh floor view of the capitol was very nice. Hyatt seems to be a smooth, well run operation, at least in the 20 or so properties where we have stayed.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy S
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We're actually here right now, and if I could give it a 3.5 stars, I would, since it doesn't deserve a 4.
The location is excellent if you're visiting the Capitol. it is literally across the street from Capitol park. My room, I was told, was the "standard King", even though I had booked a Deluxe King. Not sure how that happened, but since the place was sold out, I did not want to argue. The room is nice and large, probably larger than most Hyatts. I was told it had been recently renovated. Everything was brand new except for the bathtub - yup - really. It had a chip at the bottom, and some putty-like white stuff on the side. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would fix up the whole room and left the tub like that.
Issue number two - if you're a swimmer, you'll be disappointed. The outdoors pool is small and not very well maintained. I could see dirt at the bottom of the pool, and there were plenty of leaves and dead bees on the surface. The water was nice and warm though. There is no pool attendant, so you're on your own with towels, etc. I didn't know that there is a towel bin adjacent to the jacuzzi until a staffer pointed out to me. (Did not offer to bring me one, mind you.) The gym, to my disappointment, was very hard to get to. It involves leaving the hotel and going around the corner on a deserted street at night. And there was no attendant that I could see, so I didn't stay at all and went back to the hotel as quickly as I could.

We ate at the outdoors area, and the food was not bad. A bit on the expensive side for the quality of food, but they were tasty. The server was very good. By the way, we found an excellent place for Mexican food called Zocalo nearby (about 1 mile away). The food is reminiscent of the food from San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, and a lot of it. I wouldn't mind going there for meals every day, in fact.
The staff at the Hyatt is professional, over all, but not superb. The hotel is smack in the middle of a nice area and a not so nice area. Go left and it's one thing, go right and it's another. Don't venture out at night on foot by yourself though. It didn't feel safe enough to me.
Like others, I don't like the parking and the internet fee. Given a price, at least the internet should be included.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WLAMom
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

The title says it all... a perfectly pleasant hotel. The staff were well-trained. polite and helpful. The public areas are bright and clean (there was a rowdy crowd in the sports bar late at night but they caused no inconvenience); the room was a good size and well-appointed, not bang-up-to-the-minute, but not old fashioned either. Internet worked well and the cost was included in my package (translation: I'd prepaid by paying a higher room rate!). My room looked out over the public buildings of the State Capitol, which was a nice touristic experience. I had the breakfast buffet, which was very good - much better than many hotels in this range. The business centre was one of those DIY style - but the staff came to help when I asked, with no objections. I wouldn't fall in love with the hotel, but if you've business in Sacramento it's a good choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We left OC a few days early for a business trip. Our decision was to make the first stop in Sacramento so we ended-up at the Hyatt Regency with a rather good on line price. It was easy and simple to do self parking. I once had an expensive piece of jewelry stolen from my car when it was parked at a very expensive well known hotel in LA, so I feel compelled to do my own parking. Well you get the idea; they made it easy which made me happy. Checking in at the desk was pleasant and quite professional. The room was very nice, a few floors up and had a great view of the Capitol Dome (I will post a photo taken from our balcony when I get time). The room was also quite large and the bathroom was very nice. They could have given us a backroom-no-view room, like CP N of SF, but didn’t even though we had a very low price. In the past I have performed audits as part of my job, so I look at it all with a critical eye. In the case of this hotel I can not provide a negative unless it is the expensive $20 parking fee for an empty Saturday night’s stay. Staying at a lower priced hotel a few miles away avoid parking fees.

Most important fact was that my wife was very happy with our choice of hotel and the quality of service. I was once told that when momma is happy everyone will be happy, so…

• Liked — Location & roomview
  • Disliked — Parking fee
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Snakepudding
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Stayed 1 night at the Hyatt Regency when passing by Sacramento. Loved every moment of my stay. Nice staff, everything extremely clean and tidy, good beds and big rooms.

Perfect stay!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Paradise, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Stayed here 4 times for conventions. Loved the place good service. Great rooms. great food great service. No complaints. Ask for a room with the view of capital park. Its beautiful. The night life downstairs seemed to be the place to be.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business