“Convenient Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Convenient Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

Stayed here for a a Conference that was being held at the Convention Center. It's an easy walk back and forth. The rooms are really comfortable although the bedding is very loud so if you toss and turn, you may wake your roommate! Don't pick up anything from the mini-bar or you'll be charged! There's a note inside the mini-bar but we didn't find it until we had picked something up and saw the sensors. I let the front desk know and they checked into it.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — noisy sheets
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Hyatt for one night in an effort to break up our trip from San Diego to Lake Tahoe. We arrived late in the evening on a warm summer night. Our two kids were extremely restless after spending several hours in the car, and they literally ran by the front desk to go out to the pool area at 9pm.

The pool area was not resort size but it was tasteful and relaxing. Towel were provided, and the ambiance was relaxing. The surrounding trees were lit up as was the pool. The pool and jacuzzi were just what the doctor ordered.

Near the pool was an outside fire pit with patrons enjoying drinks and chatting.

The location is across the street from the capital, and I think that lends the mood of the hotel toward a more business minded clientel.

Our room was a fairly standard hotel room. It was clean with comfortable beds. We had free internet. Free Newspaper was delivered in the AM, USA Today, I believe.

Parking is quite expensive. I believe it is $17 for self park.

This definately seemed like a 4* hotel, when it came to service. On check in, in spite of being priceline customers, they were very friendly. The concierge gave us recommendations regarding the free tour of the capital (darn it..we missed the gubernator), and the train museum in old town, which my three year old still talks about. Everyone we passed greeted us with smiles and an attitude of, "how can we help?" That in spite of us looking middle class and traveling with a 3yo and 5yo. On check out the lady asked about my stay, offered to print me maps or boarding passes. Great service!

I would happily return.

• Liked — service, pool, room
  • Disliked — parking fee
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank solomentehawaii
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

I think the Hyatt was nice in it's day, but it needs an update. The location is great, across from the park and central to everything (1 blk to capitol).

The staff was always very professional and friendly. As for the rooms, pretty dated but still comfortable, although dull and kindof depressing.

The fitness facility is below average, the pool is nice but you have to go thru the lobby to get there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dated and stale
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Shoreline CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

I stayed at this property for business. The SMOKING room was booked months in advance. When I arrived, I was told there were no smoking rooms, so I asked for a room with a balcony. They did have one, but made me sign an "agreement" that if I smoked on the balcony, I would be charged the $250.00 clean fee (OK, at this point I give up, I will NOT smoke). The rate was high, about 300 bucks per night, and I had a 5 night stay. Over the 5 days, some odd things happened, one day NO toilet paper, the room had been serviced, but no toilet paper. I called housekeeping, who came up and tossed me a roll of paper, I asked if they could put it on the roller, and it was a BIG ordeal, as the roller took a special key, that only engineering had! One day I decided to buy a special bottle of wine to share with customers outside, I was shocked at the $22.00 cork charge for bringing my own bottle, at over 300 per night, please let me enjoy my own wine, not on their list. While walking beautiful downtown, there are several chain hotels to choose from, next time I will try one of the others.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the extra charges
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

I usually stay at the Sheraton downtown when I visit Sacramento. This time, the Hyatt accepted my offer instead. I much prefer the Sheraton. The lobby is very difficult to access from the parking garage. One must park on the 4th or 5th floor of the garage and then walk to an elevator and go to the 2nd floor to enter the hotel. Then, one must walk to the 1st floor to access the lobby for check-in. Anytime you want to go somewhere in your car, you must go to floor 2 again and to the garage and up to your car again. There is also nothing fancy about the rooms. The bed was comfortable, but there were tears in the carpet and chunks of plaster missing from the ceiling. Not a 4 star in appearance.

The Sheraton is very easy to access and more of a 4 star hotel in all areas. I would only rank this Hyatt a 3 star and have stayed at many 4 star hotels in the past. Definitely not anywhere near worth the $200+ a night this hotel usually goes for.

Stayed July 2008
Santa Rosa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

Had to stay at the Hyatt for a recent conference. The location is good, right across the street from the Capitol building. The hotel was somewhat clean but nothing special.

Parking was bad - the sign said full and they told me to go to the valet. Once at the valet he told me to drive around the Full sign and park anyway, since I was a guest. After arguing with a surly parking lot attendant about whether spaces were in fact available, I parked. It's quite a trek into the hotel from the parking lot - that's why they want people to use the valet.

They charged me $17 to park for one night, a fee not mentioned when we booked the room. Then internet was $9.95 for one day of the SLOW as a snail service, or $19.95 for the upgraded speed. I chose the slow service, and it was about on par with a slow dial up.

Many restaurants around the neighborhood, as its close to the Capitol. However after 6:00 pm, they roll up the sidewalks and leave the neighborhood to the street people that were everywhere. Walking around these parts after dark would be a risky proposition - I didn't do it.

Television in the room was a crappy old tube tv with curved screen - remember those? Hard to see, picture quality was straight out of 1974.

Minibar - I didn't touch it. They had warning signs about the sensors that charge you if anythign is moved. No thanks...The soda machine in the hallway charged $3.00 for a bottle of water or soda. No thanks.

Towels felt like sandpaper - but that's common. Pillows didn't smell clean, think they might have been recycled from another guest.

Overall, not a bad hotel. But for the $220 nightly price it is overpriced and mediocre.

• Liked — Near the capitol
  • Disliked — slow, expensive internet; terrible parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Krista_Cali
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Capitol Sacramento from 7/11 - 7/13. This hotel is a real delight from the moment you walk into the lobby to the staff on hand. Everything is walking distance and loved everything about the room, bathroom, bed, stereo system, restaurants in the hotel, bar, etc.

If you can, try to get one of the corner rooms or close to the corner a high floor and overlooking the capitol. These rooms are hard to get but if you are able to get one it is tremendous. (1306 is a great room) The only reason I gave this hotel above average instead of excellent is because we were staying on the 13th floor towards the corner and our neighbors music was loud, not to mention other loud things coming from the room. We knocked and they were nice enough to turn down the music. My boyfriend and I actually got a kick out of it because it seemed like this was going on till the wee hours. =) I guess you can expect this at any hotel but this doesn't stop me from giving an above average rating for the Hyatt. Will definitely be back here again!!

P.S. They have magnificent margaritas at the hotel bar.....

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple