“Very comfortable and clean”

Crowne Plaza Sacramento
Ranked #40 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
“Very comfortable and clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Very nice hotel, convenient to the interstate and easy access to the airport or the city. Plenty of restaurants in the area. We used Priceline to book the room, so we had a very good price, but I'd say up to $100/night is a good deal here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (fortunately, the desk suggested this to me) - meaning not on the side the face...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Was there as part of a business function, so had no choice.. Where to start? First, I got to my room and saw a bed that had been slept in and wet towels on the floor. Called front desk and they sent housekeeping up right away. By the time I got back from dinner it was cleaned. Then I see the smoke alarm hanging by 2 wires from my ceiling. Then I see the complimentary lotion, shampoo, and conditioner, half full in the bathroom. Not to mention, I couldn't get the image of a slept in bed out of my head. Then the overwhelming stench of mold took over. By the end of the week, I was wheezing, every time I stepped in my room. Stains on carpet, stains on bedspread, mold in shower, stained brown bath mat that can't be removed from tub, just disgusting. On a side note,which might appeal to some, you could practically catch a contact buzz in the elevator and hallways from the wafting of marijuana. Reminds you of an old, smoke filled Vegas hotel......you know the ones that need torn down!!!! ???? Oh yeah, don't dare to go barefoot in your room. One of my colleagues picked up some strange bite, or infection on her foot.
I was lucky, my room was right across the hall from the ice machine, so I got the wonderful,experience of hearing drunk idiots at 0300 a.m. Getting ice to continue the party! Lucky me !!

For the most part, staff was decent, though George at the front desk was a little arrogant jerk. Rude and full of himself.
Now , to the neighborhood......well, first, homeless people everywhere, begging for money, cars broken into in the parking lot, and sheriff department showing up every other night . Not 100% sure why they were there, but I heard it was to clear the riff raff out of the bar!!!!!!
Overall, the worst hotel experience I have ever had, and I travel a lot for business. There are much better choices in Sacramento . Please stay somewhere else. You will be glad you did

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Lexi215683
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Of course; there is no excuse for the condition of the room or the lack of service that you received. Your review will be the focus of a meeting with our General Manager and all department heads where immediate action will be required. You should not expect these conditions and we will not tolerate them from our staff.
Thank you for alerting us and allowing us to make immediate corrections.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel location is excellent, the staff is experienced and we get full service, such as room service, a bar and restaurant.

The rooms are large and comfortable with a coffee maker and a comfortable bed. The free Wi-Fi in the room was intermittent. It looks like the Wi-Fi need upgrading,

the food at the restaurant is excellent, many locals come to eat here. The buffet breakfast is limited, but good.

I am coming back.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the freeway. The sixth floor is the quiet zone.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We're very happy that you liked your accommodations.
We took your (and other guests') comments about the WiFi service to heart and are exploring the possibility of changing our internet providers.
Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The facility was updated a few years ago and looks very nice throughout.The foyer is welcoming and comfortable for visiting or lounging. Some things, though, can't be changed through a facelift. Like the slow, small elevator that serves the rooms (stairs are a much faster way to go), the thin windows and walls that face the freeway, and the not-very-desireable neighborhood (it is a little better on this side of the freeway than the other side).

Staff: friendly, helpful, very good.

Motel Rooms:

I stayed for 3 nights. My first room was very disappointing. The toilet seat was so loose it was nearly falling off (I fixed it quickly myself) and the sink was very slow to drain. The wall switch plate covers were dirty. These are things that housekeeping could not have overlooked. The room was always cold when I came in (there seemed to be cold air oozing in through the vent in the bathroom). And it was NOISY. I am a light sleeper, so this is a big deal for me but may not be for others. The rooms on most of the building face the freeway. I was on the loudest side of the building and it was like Nascar (tire sounds inluded) day and night. My earplugs and sound machine were not enough to block it out. I was about to give a one or two point rating on the place, especially as my fatigue built. Then, I asked if I could move my room.

My second room was a dream. Nearly silent. The staff is very familiar with the building layout and knows where the "quiet rooms" are: on the east side of the building which is the narrowest part with the fewest rooms. This rooom was in better shape, save the rather disgusting collection in the bathtub drain which was obvisous because the stopper was missing (glad I didn't want to take a soak!). This room was never cold when I entered.

Here's what is really great about all the rooms: super duper comfortable beds from the mattress to the covers (nice heavy covers that hug you if you use them all), good pillows, soft towels.

Conference Rooms:
These were decent. Did the job but could be improved. Here is where: the light switches are only on one side of the (large) room which is awkward for presentations. The partitions don't block enough sound out from the adjoining room (more pronounced if sitting towards the back of the room, of course). Chairs are ok. Refreshments ok - consisted of coffee and water (tea would be nice). Sound system worked fine.

Restaurant:
I did not eat in the restaurant but my colleagues did. They say the food was good but the place was severely understaffed. One night the bar tender was also waiter for the whole place.

There is a Starbucks, IHOP, Panda Express, Boston Market, etc within one block. There are some very good asian restaurants a couple of miles down the road to the south.

Fitness:
Decent workout room but weird access to it. Pool is there but way too cold in the winter. Did not use the spa.

Overall:
My overall experience for business travel/conference was good but I really loved the beds and foyer so am giving it a very good. It works great for a conference but it is not a place I would choose for pleasure travel, as there are so many other better-located choices/neighborhoods.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for "a quiet room"...the staff will know exactly where to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hike4diamonds
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're very glad that you saw an improvement since your first "motel room" experience. FYI - there are three elevators for the guest rooms: one at the end of the hall closest to the lobby and two more at the opposite end of the hall nearest the parking area. Thank you for helping us to improve. We will do everything we can to make you as comfortable as possible.
So. Cal.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Check in experience was pretty good. Front desk staff was very friendly. Sounds like the night I was there was sold out. While at the counter I heard the ladies take no less that 3 calls about WiFi issues. I got assigned to a handicap room due to the high number of guests. Being a handicap room there was a large thing in the bath tub to facilitate wheel chair transfers, completely unavoidable, but a little tough to work around. There didn't appear to be a working exhaust fan in the bathroom, so it got a little foggy in there following a shower. Lighting in the bath/shower wasn't great, again nothing that can be easily fixed, looks like they tried to improve it a bit by selecting a shower curtain that allowed more light in. There was a small amount of crusty dried toothpaste looking stuff on the wall also. The bed was comfortable and enough pillows for a party of 8. It was a bit strange to find a full size bed though, with a queen sized headboard. I haven't seen a full sized bed in years. One of the bed side tables was missing a light bulb (there are two in each) and I didn't see a trashcan other than in the bathroom. The funky chair at the desk scared me a bit, I leaned back and thought I was going over backwards. There was a fair amount of highway noise, being on the first floor in the wing nearest the freeway no doubt contributed to this. Overall it was OK and I'd probably stay there again. I do understand this review probably sounds nitpicky, just wanted to share my thoughts though.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you had to be put in a wheelchair accessible room. We try not to do that, but as you noted, when we are sold out: all rooms need to be used. We appreciate your understanding about the challenges in these rooms. We are sharing your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for immediate corrections. Thanks again for allowing us to learn from your experience with us and improve our facilites. We hope you will stay with us again to see what we have done.
Minden, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here 4 nights on a business trip. From the time we walked in the staff was very warm and welcoming. They were very helpful through our whole stay. The room was very comfortable. The bed was great. It was so nice and quiet and we slept good. The room had everything we needed. We didn't have a fridge or microwave, but we didn't need one. We ate in the restaurant every day for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was OK, not great but it was a decent meal. The breakfast buffet was terrible so we ate off the menu every day for about the same price. The dinner's were very good. Also, the bar was a lot of fun. The bartenders especially Robin took such good care of us and we met the nicest people and had more fun in the bar after a long day working. We will always stay at this place when we are in Sacramento on business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We're passing on your kind words about our bartender , along with your comments about your breakfasts and dinners, to our Food & Beverage Director. We appreciate you helping us to provide the Crowne Plaza experience that you deserve. We're looking forward to having you stay with us again.
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

This is a very nice, clean hotel. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and provided for all our needs. The lobby provided a nice place to hang out and relax. Everything about the Room was designed for comfort.

Had it not been for the overpriced and awful (and I mean awful) breakfast buffet, this might have gotten 5 circles. It was so bad, I almost gave the hotel only 3 circles. If you don’t get my meaning here, DO NOT EAT THE BUFFET BREAKFAST.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We're very glad that you liked MOST of your stay. We're sharing your comments with our Executive Chef and our Food & Beverage Director. Obviously; we need to re-examine our breakfast buffet. Thank you for helping us improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sacramento
Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo
Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel
Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington L...
#1 of 5 in North Highlands
Ramada Sacramento
Ramada Sacramento
#49 of 80 in Sacramento
Lexington Inn & Suites- Sacramento Cal Expo
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Courtyard Sacramento Cal Expo

Been to Crowne Plaza Sacramento? Share your experiences!