Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena
  • Room Service
Hyatt Regency Sacramento(Sacramento)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe holiday inncapitol plazaold sacramentogreat locationexecutive floorwalking distancehotel restaurantself parkingfront desk stafftrain museumhigh floorroom was spacious and cleanamtrak stationbusiness centerthe riverair conditionernice stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. The first time I stayed here I was thrilled because of the location. It's literally at the border of Old Sacramento and Downtown. In terms of the actual stay last year, it was okay--people were friendly and there were no issues. No one goes above and beyond in terms of service but it was good enough at the time for me to return this year.

This year, my stay was terrible. The room was warm and felt damp when I walked in--the bathroom smelled of mildew. The toilet had issues flushing--I felt bad for wasting so many flushes. I also had issues with my key the first night but after getting a little help, the key worked.

The second day, I walked to the conference location--it's a beautiful walk from this hotel to the Hyatt (especially walking through the mall and along Kay Street). However, when I returned, I had the same issue with my key. This time it did not work at all. I was extremely tired and did not feel like going all the way downstairs (from the 11th floor) to get a key. So, I called the complimentary phone conveniently located near the elevator for help. After waiting what seemed to be about 10 minutes, someone finally came with new keys. I was pretty annoyed as this was the second time I had the issue.

I walked in my room happy to see the beds made but slightly disappointed because no one emptied the ice bucket (there was water from the melted ice in the bucket from the day before). I understand water conservation and perhaps the water could have been used for cleaning, but it should have been emptied at least.

On the third day--same key issue. As soon as I got to my room, the keys did not work. I had to wait for maintenance to come up to give me new keys again. This was unacceptable and I was pretty frustrated. At this point, I contemplated writing this review.

My breaking point was not getting basic information from the front desk. I called the front desk to try to plan my departure and asked 1) what time is check out, and 2)how soon in advance do I need to be at the airport?

The guy at the front desk told me that my check out was at 6 (no am or pm...just 6). Then he asks me to hold so that he could check since I sounded skeptical of his answer. Hotel checkouts are typically 11:00am or noon. Secondly, I asked how soon I needed to be at the airport. The response was "early" (again..no am or pm). I asked for clarification and again he put me on hold. He said he didn't know the information because he's never been to the airport. That's fine but isn't this basic employee knowledge?

To summarize, my stay the second time around was extremely frustrating. The hotel could stand to use better customer service, help with maintenance issues such as making sure all keys open the corresponding doors, flushing issues with the toilet, and finally eliminating mildew bathroom odors.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TRuth2013
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Mr. TRuth2013, I appreciate the time you took to review the hotel. It is regretful that your stay was not more enjoyable and I apologize. I will use your comments to work with the team to improve our delivery of services especial the issue with the key. It would benefit me to speak to you directly so I could narrow down the room that had so many issues. I would also encourage any of our guest to please ask for the Manager on Duty. They are empowered to make a decisions that ensures the guests leave the property happy. If you would contact me off line I would welcome the opportunity to apologize to you in person. I hope you will give me that opportunity.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza "John Q Ballroom" (16th floor). Beautiful room with great view of downtown Sacramento. All the staff was very helpful and the day of the wedding everything turned out great. Catering was provided by the hotel and the food was great. Ramon was our event coordinator and he did more than enough to make everything run smoothly. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding or any type of event, you will not be disappointed. Perfect location!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janel R
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was just an overnight trip. The hotel is very convenient to downtown and vapital attractions. The room was very nice and clean. The staff was fantastic. Could not have been more helpful or friendly. The rate was a real value. I would return here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here for an overnight trip to a wedding! Had an hour to kill after checking in and before the wedding so we headed out to old town Sac. I was surprised that there is an underground tunnel (K street) that goes straight from the hotel to Old Town! How perfect! On the other side of the hotel is the Downtown Plaza! This is a prime location, making the rate of the room well worth it! The room was clean, however there was no mini-fridge! The pillows were tiny and feather so I couldn't not get comfortable using them.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the freeway has a view of the Downtown Plaza
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alimer124
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments. We appreciate it and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here for a conference and weekend getaway. Location was easy access and right off the freeway. Its also very close to Old Sacramento and the American River. Hotel was clean and comfortable and staff was helpful and friendly. Not a 4 star resort, but we were very satisfied with our stay.
Our only suggestion is to offer a better breakfast buffet. It was adequate, but it could be better for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jamie P,
We are so glad you enjoyed our location. We believe it is one of the best in downtown Sacramento. We also appreciate your comments about the buffet and will review with our executive chef. We hope to see you back again.