“Nice, clean, friendly, but noisy!!!”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here three times now and whereas the staff is friendly, the hotel very clean including the rooms, there is a constant noise coming from outside the hotel when I am in my room. I've stayed on a lower floor (even # room) in the trees that was the quietest, the 12th floor (even # room) was constant, all night freeway noise (can we say pillow over the head trying to sleep) and this last visit on the 7th floor (odd # room) that the freeway noise was drowned out by the noise of the A/C or fans/vents coming from the roof below (NOT the room A/C or heater vent, I had these off). This time I tried ear plugs and that worked.
Food in the restraunt is decent but expensive.
Overall comfortable but I like it quiet and dark for sleeping. If noise bothers you, consider ear plugs, pillow over the head or another hotel.
Note, this hotel has a convenient under-the-freeway pedestrian underpass out front over to Old Town that is great with restaurants, shops and a train museum. This part is a real plus.

Room Tip: Lower floors on even numbered side has SOME blocking of the freeway noise. Lower floors on odd numb...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 23, 2012

A lot of extra costs for things normally free at other Holiday Inn locations...no free coffee...continental breakfast is $14.95...garage parking is $14.99 a day...Valet parking is $16.99 a day if there is space...the lounge was packed all night till closing...our parking was comped because we had no hair dryer in our room...bed actually gave me a back ache...although it is close to Old Sacramento and many eateries and bars...they were crowded with college kids...all in all, I should have driven another hour to the next Holiday Inn where breakfast and parking and coffee were free (without having to make it in the room)

Room Tip: find a different hotel...do some research like you do on Trip Advisor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. We can only provide better service by hearing from guest such as yourself. I appreciate your discomfort in paying for parking. We too feel that discomfort when we send our check to the City of Sacramento, who owns the garage adjacent to the hotel that is used by the hotel. We are a full service hotel that offers breakfast in our restaurant and the option to purchase a room package that includes breakfast so I apologize that you were not aware of the options. I am also regretful that someone on the management team was not aware that you were not happy with your stay as our goal is to ensure every guest leaves our hotel satisfied. I hope you will reconsider this hotel in the future and give us an opportunity to change you mind.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

When we arrived and parked our car in front of this hotel to check-in, none of the valet attendants were present, there was only a single car, besides ours, but suddenly, when I walked in the lobby to check in and my travel companion stayed in the car, I was approached by male valet attendant with an urgent request move the car, because, according to him, I didn't park in the right space, even though there were room for passing through traffic. It's not that I was checking in for an hour. Meanwhile, Marcisha, the second valet attendant came out to the car, rudely knocked on the window AND ASKED THE PASSENGER to move the car!!! Basically, no matter wat it was, the situation was handled poorly and the first impression was negative. If those valet attendants didn't want us to park there for checking in (in front of the hotel) where were they in the first place? And then started running with their heads off bothering me at the desk and the passenger in the car. The attitude of those two was appalling and simply rude. If I knew such rude employees working for Holiday Inn, I wouldn't stay there at the first place and don't recommend to you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tahoeusa
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We apologize for the service you encountered in our front drive. You are absolutely right that someone should have been in the drive to meet and greet you upon arrival and with a smile. That is the standard for the team. At times business levels can determine where the team is and can pull their attentiveness in several different directions. We realize this is not the customers concern and that the attitude of our team can make a difference in the customers tolerance. However, service should always be a top priority. Again, I apologize. As stated in an earlier email, I hope you will give us an opportunity to change your mind about our hotel.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Surprised, looks upscale, very clean, neat well kept, pleasant staff, comfortable room and bed. Close to Old Town, about 100 yards after walking through a large tunnel under the freeway. Parking costs extra ($14 a day). Read other articles about lousy restaurant in hotel so had breakfast right across the street, which was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel is pleasant, well maintained and clean. Not in need of a refurb like some Holiday Inns. The hotel is in a good location a few hundred yards from Old Sacramento and 20mins or so walk from the Capitol.
The pool area is outside and apparently unheated. It is also elevated on a roof and not far from the noisy flyover. it really could do with more landscaping and screening from the traffic.
We ate in the restaurant once for dinner and should have noticed the signs of empty seats. The salad was 1 day old (as per the waiter) and brown and the main course tasteless with gloopy sauce. We did, however, received a reduction in our bill for the poor quality. Given the restaurants location on the main pavement into Old Sacramento, it is such a pity that it is of such poor quality.... It could be full!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments. The hotel performance can only improve by honest feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the location as I too think we have one of the best. I apologize that the restaurant did not meet your expectation and will certainly work to improve the product. I hope we have an opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here just the one night whilst visiting the area and hotel was perfectly situated for what we wanted to see and do. Check in was efficient and informative. Rooms spacious and clean. The restaurant grille wasn't very good and we did complain about the food to the waiter who actually agreed with us but didn't remove and cost from the bill or offer alternate food, luckily check out did. Parking is either self park at $14 or valet at $16....... Took a while to get the car back when I needed at as only one person working and he seemed distracted

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank TRAVELBAG40
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were in Sac July 12 - 16 for a Convention. Reservations were fairly last minute. This is an older H.I., but, lobby & bar & restaurant are a little more updated & very pleasant. This looks like it is used by a lot of business people & airline personnel. The staff is very pleasant & helpful. It is about a 20 min walk to con. center & Old Sac. is a brief walk. There is a Westfield Plaza mall - right out the hotel doors. Several Starbucks are near & lots of dining choices within walking dist. - although none that I would consider Fine dining. As for the rooms, initially I was put off by the odor in our room - but, there was an air purifier in there - as they had just cleaned the carpet. Odor & purifier were gone the next A.M. & no more issues with smell. The room is dated, but clean & comfortable. Bathroom is on the small size. My biggest complaint was no mini fridge & no microwave. As we were gone most of the day - the room certainly met our needs for a comfortable & clean space to sleep, shower & relax with a bit of t.v. We got an added bonus of having a great view of a fireworks display - we were never able to figure out what it was celebrating, but they were beautiful. Over all a nice stay - that suited our needs

Room Tip: I believe we had a west facing room on the third floor over looking the tree tops of a near by park...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business