“Convenient Location - Better than Expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Central Valley, CA
“Convenient Location - Better than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

A very convenient location in Downtown. The property is within easy walking distance to the capitol, convention center, downtown shoping mall, fine restaurants, and state offices. Comfortable rooms, complimentary breakfast, friendly staff, and free parking make this a very good choice for an overnight stay in Sacramento. The location, free parking and reasonable rates make the Sutter House appealing for a quick business trip. I will return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Excellent location within walking distance of Old town Sacramento and shopping Plaza. Easy to find and great free parking. Registration was easy and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious, comfortable, clean, quiet and the bed was the most comfortable we have slept on when away from home. The breakfast was adequate for what we wanted and the staff helpful. We were on the inside part of the hotel looking out on the swimming pool where you wouldn't believe you were in a large city at all. The rates were reasonable especially for the location and it was also easy to find a route out of the city to visit other nearby locations. There are a number of places all within walking distance such as State Capitol (good free tour), Governer's Mansion and a short ride away to Old Sacramento, Sutter's fort, California State Railroad Museum. Plenty of restaurants around even though we didn't try the restaurant next door.

We thought the bed was the most comfortable at any place we have stayed.
We loved the pool and area, it was so quiet and relaxing.

There was nothing we didn't like.

Do visit the Museum of Medical History (if you like that sort of thing!)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Last Christmas, I went in a roadtrip with my sister to the North of California. We stopped by several cities and one of those cities was Sacramento. We stayed only one night in the city and we picked the Best Western Sutter House to spend the night. The front desk people were so helpful, they told us about the best place to eat and about the city. Next morning we left the city and drove back to Los Angeles. When I got home I noticed I didn't have my digital camera and I decided to call the hotel and asked if I may forgotten my camera in the room, well for my surprised I did and they kept it for me, not only that but after two days my camera was on my mailbox.
I didn't only have a nice and clean room but also a great service and hotel employees that were kind and honest.
Thank you for such of great experience!

• Stayed August 2009
madrid, spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We passed through Sacramento on our way to the ´gold country´ towns and the American River. It was perfectly OK for one night in a family room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the swimming pool. Quiet enough and comfortable, the kids enjoyed the pool. Good location for visiting Old Sacramento - we liked the train museum and the steam train ride particularly.

Front desk staff were polite but no more; when we came down 5 minutes too late for breakfast, we were directed to a sleazy-looking diner across the street which was closed.

Overall though I would recommend this as a good enough stopover in Sacramento, reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
LA, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Have stayed here twice in the past few years, first alone on business and second with family on mini-vacation. It is a secure style motel with parking under the raised foundation of the hotel. There is a pool in the center of the Hotel which is not for those seeking privacy but is refreshing in hot august Sacramento days. The breakfast is great, the kids can make their own fresh waffles and the folks can have fruit, cereal and hot coffee. The location is North East of the Capital. An easy stroll to the State building but you will want to hop in the car for old town, Sutters Fort or the mall (unless you don't mind the walk - I like walking so it was no bother for me). Rooms are clean and well maintained, everything you'd expect for the money - a great value and one of the best Best Westerns I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Stockton, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

In town for an overnight trip on business. In the past, I have stayed at the Sheraton and Hyatt, but our company's in a bit of a cost savings mode right now, so we've moved to this Best Western.

Though not as fancy as the the other hotels, there are many pluses. Free wireless internet, free breakfast, and free parking are great conveniences. My particular room was quite large with a king bed and sofa. The breakfast was an expanded continental breakfast with cooked to order waffles, hard boiled eggs, and biscuits/gravy complimenting the cereals, juices, and fruits. For a downtown location, free parking is a definite plus. I have never understood why mid-priced hotels generally have free internet while higher end hotels charge for it. In any case, the free internet was greatly appreciated.

As for location, there are a few challenges. If you are a light sleeper, room location and selection can be somewhat tricky. If your room faces 12th St., you will have the sound of the light rail. If your room faces 11th St., there is the sound of an electronic bird that goes off constantly from the building across the street. I am not a light sleeper, but was still fortunate enough to have a room facing inward towards the pool. While I didn't have any trouble sleeping, others in my travel group expressed some noise issues.

Overall, this is a very decent hotel conveniently located in downtown Sacramento. While not as plush as some of the other hotels in the area, it does serve for a decent stay. For a comfortable overnight sleep, this hotel is worth its price.

• Liked — location, free internet, free breakfast, free parking
  • Disliked — outside hallways (cold during the winter)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

The room was clean but questionable amenities and staff not very accomadating. The website advertise that there is a fitness facility...not true. They said that there is a restaurant on site but failed to mention that the restaurant is CLOSED on SUNDAY!!!

And to top it all off...after checking out...I had to use the restroom. Guess what ? YUP, no restroom available in the lobby and did not offer any options. I had to wait half in hour before using the restroom in the airport!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Amenities....no bathroom to use after checking out! No fitness facility as stated on Best Western website
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)