“Clean and friendly”

Best Western Plus Sutter House
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
“Clean and friendly”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Room decor was lovely. Room was clean. We were a little disappointed there was no fridge in room. Reception were very friendly and helpful. We also appreciated the clear guidance sheet and books about the area. Breakfast was ok. Though it was not ad good as another best western we had stayed in earlier that week. Location was quiet apart from being woken up by workmen on the roof early in the morning. It felt as though they were going to come through the roof. Appreciated the free parking and was pleased we had a car as the decent eating places were a good 15/20 min walk away and was not too well lit.

• Stayed April 2013
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, there never is a good time to water proof our roof, and I apologize for the noise. We are planning on adding refrigerators and micorwaves to our guest rooms this year, and are always looking for ways to improve our continental breakfast, so we truly appreicate your feedback. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this property in mid-March for the weekend and were pleased when we entered the lobby and were greeted by such a lovely staff member. She welcomed us warmly and checked us in promptly. We went up to our room which was small, left our luggage and went back out seeking a restaurant for dinner. Upon returning from dinner our kids got ready for bed, pulled back the covers of the bed and there was a huge silverfish laying on one of the pillows. We got rid of the bug, then pulled all the covers down and there was a long hair and some other black things that looked like mouse droppings. I immediately called the front desk and they came to look at it. They said that was unacceptable and moved us across the hall to another room. At that point I was completely mortified that we had chosen to stay at such a dirty hotel. The next morning one of my kids woke up with a strange bump on her leg. (After returning home we had to visit the doctor because the area grew larger. We were told it was a spider bite. Not what I expect to receive while staying at a Best Western.)

The complimentary breakfast was ok. Generic brand cereals, cheap juice, and fruit that was not restocked on Sunday (no bananas on Sunday, only apples and oranges). I have stayed at many hotels that offer a complimentary continental breakfast and this was by far the worst selection and taste.

The location of hotel is maybe not the greatest. Saturday night we were woken up by a fight in the alley near our window. Sacramento's finest showed up to break it up.

The only positive thing was that we were able to park for free in the covered parking garage. This was our overnight trip to Sacramento and unfortunately it was spoiled by our hotel choice.

If you are seeking a moderate hotel that is clean with good service, save yourself and seek a different location.

* In all fairness the hotel staff did discount our stay, however with the inconvienence of moving two sleepy children, luggage, and trying to explain to my kids that the bugs won't be in their bed in the night, I feel that we should have had a complimentary night. I completed the hotel's online survey when we returned home and I was offered with a discounted stay for a return trip to the same hotel. NO THANK YOU!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 1vacation2
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We take pride in being an "Ultra Clean" hotel and are pro-active when it comes to cleaning or insect issues. Our Maintenance Engineer has a Branch 2 & Branch 3 Termite and General Pest License and I am sure you will be pleased to learn that the bedding and mattress of the room you were moved from and to were inspected and he found no evidence of spiders, fecal matter, nor silverfish. He did however, find a smashed carpet beetle, they do not bite, nor do they carry any diseases, and are usually carried in by luggage, personal clothing or the elements. I would like to say that we are 100% successful in keeping out nature, but that would not be true.
It is a requirement of all Best Westerns to serve qualtiy brand name items on our continental breakfast; the cereal (a Kellogg's product) and juice (Minute Maid) are served in dispensers for the convenience of our guests and unfortunatley only have the name of the product not the brand. Thank you for your comments
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Mixed feelings - lovely bedding and room, convenient location to the Old Town and downtown. Appreciated the free parking and internet. Certain housekeeping aspects could be improved, also had an issue with thin walls that could have been dealt with more effectively. Breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: We faced the interior courtyard pool which wasn't heated yet. I have to think it would be bette...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, we will use your comments as a training tool to help us improve. We hope that you will stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Sacramento.
San Diego
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed one night on our trip up to Oregon, liked the fact it was away from I-5. yet convenient.
Front desk staff was very friendly, and helpful. Suggested the restaurant next to the hotel, which was very good. Would stay here again without any reservations. Our room's back wall (headboard) was adjacent to the walkway, so a little noisy until bedtime. Alot of youth staying here for a conference, well behaved and courteous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, we truly appreciate your feedback and hope that the next time your travels bring you to Sacramento, that you will stay with us!

Doris Gray
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We choose this hotel as it was in a quieter location than the one on I5. After talking to the desk clerk on the phone we were quoted a rate with tax that was reasonable. Check-in was fine. The clerk was very helpful with suggestions on what to see and directions. The room provided was very nice and spacious and clean. Hotel is close to old Sacramento, easy walk. However, a few things were not so good. The pool was not in operation. No fridge in the room. Breakfast was not nearly as good as other Best Westerns, quite meagre. Then when we checked out the rate was much higher than we had been quoted previously. The clerk finally gave us the rate but after much complaining.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug P
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, we will take your comments and use as a training tool. We hope that the next time you are in Sacramento, that you will give us another try.
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I travel many time to the Sacramento area and visit many hotels. This particular hotel was in a great location for easy walking to many of the downtown areas. The Capitol, Governor's mansion, Convention Center and many museum's. Old downtown is approx. 1 mile away as well, very easy walking. The rooms were clean and the bed's were very comfortable and we didn't have any problem with noise.
The con's were a rude gentleman who staff's the desk at night, not only to me but to others. I asked him some questions and his response was that he only works there very little and to save my questions for someone who works in the day. I also viewed him being rude to others who came in the door while I was on the business computer. The breakfast was ok, the waffles were terrible, very rubbery, so different ones needed or some other hot food. The coffee/capp. machine was very nice. One last problem was I booked this on priceline and they advertised a fitness facility of which there was none. I was told I could go down the street to use one for a $7.00 charge. This was disappointing because as a single, female in the early morning hours, I like to be safe, stay on the premises and work out without having to leave the building. They should not advertise this, as it is FALSE!
The pool was also not available which was another reason I booked, as I like to swim. So two things I booked this hotel for were not available. For the price there are better options very close by that offered all I was looking for. If you just would like a clean place and comfortable bed this would be the place for you but when I travel I like to use all amenities offered.

Room Tip: I was in a room that faced the pool, but since the pool was not available it was not a problem. I wo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for not exceeding your expections. There is never an excuse for rudeness and the clerk that you spoke about will be counseled. The hotel has never had a fitness center, and we are looking into why that particular site listed us as having one. However, the good news is that we are currently in the process of having a fitness center built and hope to have it complete in a few months. During this time of year, due to the weather, and the pool being to cold to swim in, it is a good time for us to do any maintenace and prepare for the warmer months. Thank you again for your comments, we hope that you stay with us your next time you come to Sacramento.
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel to attend the California Republican Party Spring Convention since I was a late registrant and there was not rooms available at the Hyatt Regency. I saved a lot on the room and had free parking and free WIFI in the room. A very easy walk to the convention. I'd stay here in a heartbeat when I return to Sacramento in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff really enjoyed having your group stay with us and hope that you return in the near future.