“Easy walk to Hyatt Regency, Convention Center, and Capitol”

Best Western Plus Sutter House
Ranked #2 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Sunnyvale, CA
“Easy walk to Hyatt Regency, Convention Center, and Capitol”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel to attend the California Republican Party Spring Convention since I was a late registrant and there was not rooms available at the Hyatt Regency. I saved a lot on the room and had free parking and free WIFI in the room. A very easy walk to the convention. I'd stay here in a heartbeat when I return to Sacramento in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff really enjoyed having your group stay with us and hope that you return in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is certainly quite affordable compared to other hotels in the area. The convenience to downtown Sacramento and the capitol can't be beat. The staff are friendly and the breakfast, while very basic... is included. If price is your primary consideration, then this is certainly a reasonable choice.

Unfortunately, I found the public areas of the hotel to be extremely dated and somewhat shabby. I also noted that the central courtyard surrounding the pool area looked very unkempt (it may have been under renovation). The biggest problem however, was with noise. The walls between rooms are extremely thin. I was woken at 2am by people entering the room next to me. They weren't loud or disruptive, just talking, showering, etc... but I could hear everything. Ultimately, when I book a hotel room, I want to be able to sleep through the night - if I can't, then everything else is irrelevant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Monterey, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wanted to visit the State Capitol and was looking for decent accommodation. I chose the Best Western Plus Sutter House because of the feedback and most especially because it was a few minutes from the capitol. Plus, the parking is free. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by the reception clerk. He gave me the room I requested and he was very cordial (with a smile). The elevator in the hotel was a bit slow (take the stairs if you are in a hurry to go to your room). They do have a solar pool but it was in the Winter and it's a bit cold to go in anyway.

The room turned out the way I expected - comfortable bed, decor, cable TV, alarm/coffee maker, etc. The room was also clean. The wifi connection is really good - there were no hiccups or slow internet connection. Wifi is free. I was satisfied with the connection.

The only issue I had about the room was that the bathroom vent from next door or downstairs (I could not really tell where it was coming from). The sound was loud. The guests woke up at around 5:30 a.m. and the buzzing noise woke me up. Good thing they did not use the bathroom that long as I went right to bed after the noise had stopped.

Checkout was smooth. There were three people in line and immediately the second clerk assisted me. I would say their customer service is fantastic!

Their continental breakfast included bread, bagels, biscuit + gravy, hard-boiled egg, cereal, oatmeal packet, make your own waffle, oranges/apples/bananas, and juice/tea/coffee/milk. It was definitely worth it. The person working at the cafeteria was helpful and cleaned the area/tables quite well. She deserves a high tip.

Overall, I would actually stay here again if or when I decide to go to the Capitol.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TRTW
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, and we hope to see you again when your traveles bring you back to Sacramento.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a disgusting hotel. I arrived back in my room to find the latex cleaning gloves on the TV stand next to my personal belongings, so quick question, how many of you have ever put something on that stand? Next, they didn't make the bed properly, pillows were thrown on floor next to chair. Third, when I called Manager to complain was told no manager on duty, asked to be called next day, no call. Contacted Corporate where I learned Best Western is a Non-Profit Membership Corporation and can make NO SUGGESTIONS to running of hotel, basically worthless, oh, they tried to bribe me with $50 to ease my disgust...no thanks. My advice, don't stay here until new management and staff are in place, Finally, these geniuses just installed 12 inch tiles in hallways, this way you can hear every guests wheeled suitcase going down the hall, thump thump, thump thump as it goes over the grout, genius!!!!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel, those tiles are EVERYWHERE!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations as it is our goal that every guest stay is an enjoyable one. We truly take pride in being an "Ultra Clean Hotel" and you can imagine my dismay when I learned that one of our staff mistakenly left her cleaning gloves behind and that the bed was not made correctly. We have used your comments as a training tool for all of the housekeepers here so that mistakes like this do not happen again. Your guest room was one of the few that open to our pool and courtyard. All of our other rooms are in interior carpeted corridors and we would have been happy to mve you to a different room had we known you were unhappy with noise. I am sorry that I was not available that night to speak with you, however, I did leave a message on your phone the next morning in hopes that we could find a way to make your next day's stay with us better than your first. Once again, thank you for your comments.
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Very accommodating, friendly staff and very helpful in providing info about the area (food places etc) Rooms were clean. Breakfast was good. In a great location easy walk into the downtown and capital. We will stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank iluvcello
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you so much for thaking the time to write a review on our hotel. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back!

Doris
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is in a good location in downtown Sac. It is near the capitol and old town Sac.
The hotel has one old rickety elevator. The pool is on the second floor. They have a parking area but if you have to leave for the eve make sure you are back early or some one picks you up.
There is a restaurant next door but we didn't eat there.
The room was clean. They were doing maintenance on the pool area. I wished I was told before booking it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James M
doris1974, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sutter House, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I am really sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. Unfortuantely there is never a good time to do maintenance on our pool, however, we thought it would be better to do it during the winter hours when the pool is to cold to enjoy. We asked that they only work between the hours of 10am-4pm, because this is the time when the majority of our guests are out and about the city. I hope that the next time you are in Sacramento that you will give us another chance, we truly appriciate your business.

Doris Gray
Fresno, California, USA
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Front Desk Attendant Vickie always remembers me and is such a pleasure to do business with. I like the location it is so close to the capitol. I can walk everywhere and appriciate the parking garage for it's convience.

The rooms are very clean and the linens are a nice quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business