“Not so good experience ...”

Inn and Spa at Parkside
Ranked #2 of 14 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

They need to pay more attention to customer complaints, and fix the problems if they want to stay on bed&breakfast business.
1) AC was not working in one of the hottest day in Sacremento. It was 107degrees. I complained 3 times and they didnt do anything. we opened the windows and Luckily at night we had some breeze. But this made the room noisy.
2) pay attention to details. Clocks in the room were showing two different time. Remote controller was broken, jakuzi faucet for cold water was broken. No hair dryer in the room.Even the pen in the room to write a review was not working... Come on these are easy things to fix...
3) breakfast was like a joke. They served few slices of fruit, a tiny cinnamon roll, and a savory bread pudding which was also tiny. I am a small person and it wasn't even enough for me. They definitely need to improve their breakfast option.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Alcor-Mizar
Erin T, Manager at Inn and Spa at Parkside, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

As we understand that guest reviews are the best way for us to grow as a company and we are very appreciative of the comments even if they may be negative. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory and we are continuing to strive to create an outstanding guest experience with every stay. As i understand that you were here on the hottest day of the year and the air conditioning was not working, which I am sure you would have been more understanding of if the customer service side was handled differently. The issue with the a/c unit was caused by the temperature being lowered too low which caused the coil to freeze and we had to have a repair company come out and repair the unit the following day. As far as the breakfast goes we have a new chef and he is trying very hard to create new menu items that will be more satisfying. The small details that you mention have also been addressed as we are sincerely trying to make every stay the best it could possibly be.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We checked in on a Thursday for a quiet night away for my wife and I. We stayed in the room called DREAM. It's on the third floor and very private with a nice sized jacuzzi tub in the room and a multihead shower in the oversized bathroom. Plus a fireplace for that romantic charm. WiFi was unsecured and slow, but that's what smartphones are for now. I'd give this room and boutique B&B a 97 out of 100. Knocking 3 points off only for some needed cosmetic repairs, (fill old screw holes in the walls, touch up paint here and there, missing HDMI cable from DVD player to TV) Our room was as we expected, beautifully equiped and two extra fluffy robes waiting for us on the bed. They even brought us some chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling cider to our room. Breakfast was way over the top. We chose to have it delivered to our room and it came right on time and piping hot too, a gourmet breakfast with OJ and coffee, muffin with caramel sauce, fresh fruit, and an egg, potato, mushroom dish that was out of this world. You are close enough to Old Towne and Downtown so that you aren't driving forever to get some place, but far enough away to avoid the traffic. We'd definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jabber60
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The room was nice and the bed very comfortable but many small things added up to not the best of experiences. Remotes did not work and nothing to tell how to use them. The two internet wireless mentioned in the binder - neither exist. No bath mat. No hair dryer. Had breakfast in the dining room. Food was really good and just right amount but...after spending $200+, no half and half for coffee! Just milk. Employee - possibly manager - was walking around in a parka and pj's underneath and slippers while we ate!! Just not the experience that we have had in the past at other establishments. Wish I had checked it out here before making the reservation!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brunosd
Erin T, Manager at Inn and Spa at Parkside, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We appreciate all guest reviews and take them to heart as we are striving to make each stay an amazing experience. We are working on getting the little things fixed that can make a huge difference. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in the dream room this was our second time the first was great since new management took over the place has been let go the room was terrible. First the plug had no cover and it was in plan sight. The curtain rod was falling off the wall. Stains on the comforter and pillows. The room should have had robes, they were not there. Tried to call the front desk twice with no answer. Also added a spa package to the reservation, it was not set up they had to try to get 2 therapists in but could only get one to agree to come in. It should have been a couples massage. At check in the front desk was rude and tried to blame me for the spa package for not being set up. This was the last time I will stay at the inn. It is a shame it use to be a great place, but it is now an over priced place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronbo333

I am terribly sorry to read your review and to see that you were treated so poorly. It is our goal to make sure that every guest has the best experience possible. We have been working very hard to improve the level of customer service, and to create a better more caring environment for our staff and guests. We are pleased to say that several things have changed at the Inn in the past few months. As of February 1st we have a new management team in place, have hired a few new staff members and have been working very hard on fixing the little things around the Inn that had been neglected for so long. This is an ongoing process and we will continue to improve on the little things until every guest has a spectacular experience.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 4th anniversary......bad idea. Room was nicely decorated and the man checking us in did point out the wood from that sticks out about 8 inches at the end of the bed......it didn't helped when I banged my shin into it in the middle of the night on my way to the toilet...arghhh. To make matters worse.......my husband had to go out into the hallway/kitchen area looking for TP in the middle of the night because there was no extra rolls in the room....luckily he found a box of Kleenex. The bed was uncomfortable....we finally figured out that our heads were lower than our feet were because of all the lopsided extra padding added to the bed......to compensate for the bad mattress I'm thinking. We checked in on a Friday afternoon and were told that a cheese and crackers would be served closer to dinner time........when we went to the main house to try some cheese and crackers......we sat waiting for it to be set up......over a half hour past when we were told it would be served. We asked the person checking us in to make a reservation for us at a nearby steakhouse........when we called the front desk to inquire when our reservations had been made for...we were told no reservation had been made and that person had gone home for the day. Needless to say we were disappointed in our stay at The Parkside Inn in Sacramento......most of all about the really uncomfortable bed.......and we asked that the manager call us to discuss these issues. That request for a call back was made last Sunday,December 23rd and we are still waiting to hear from someone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daxx43
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Overall my wife and I had a great time. From the check in process to the spa treatment. Our only thing of note was the ceiling was somewhat dusty. I would recommend the "The Inn & Spa @ Parkside" to friends and family members. My wife and I plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This Inn is located in a grand old house that once belonged to an Asian magnet of some sort (Mr. Fong). The owners have tried to carry the Asian theme into the new decor. It's a bit of a strange cluster of new-age, Italianate fresco, Chinese kitch, and Japanese lacquer. But it sort of works. The space is comfortable and the building is sturdy. No creaking floors or cheesy construction. The beds were excellent. Slept better here than anywhere in months. Internet was fast and easy. My major complaint is that the hotel looks like it needs a bit of spruce up. The floors are scratched and worn; walls are dirty and badly painted (previous colors show through thin spots), some of the furniture and fixtures are a bit wonky. For example, the desk I sat at would wobble a could 2 inches either way. I was adjusting the venetian blinds and the stick fell out in my hand. The remote for the ceiling fan is nearly broken from overuse. Carpets in the bedroom were pretty dirty. Bathrooms feel quite outdated, with worn china fixtures and soap dispensers with nasty stuff accumulating in the bottom. There seems to be a rather large staff here, all friendly enough -- It's as if the owners are letting the staff run things, but are not really doing quality control or paying attention to wear and tear. One last comment on the breakfast: It was nice-ish. A cooked B&B breakfast with effort. Fruit plate was just mediocre. But you might consider self-catering, because about 2-miles away at the corner of S Street and Alhambra Boulevard is the most magnificent organic co-op I've ever found (and I've been to many, including the legendary Hawthorne Valley market). If only the Inn would buy their fruit there -- then I could forgive them all the rest of their sins.

I'm not sure if I would stay again. It would depend on rates and whether I had money to try something else. And the friendly staff does leave you feeling very positive about the place.

p.s., there is a public pool across the street, if you are into swimming. I didn't try it, but nice to know about.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business