“Exceptionally different!”

Amber House Inn of Midtown
Ranked #1 of 14 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My friend and I have been doing a tour trough California and in Sacramento we landed in the Amber House. What a cosey, personal, delightful little place. The rooms are a dream. So individual and tasteful decorated. Even more outstanding was the personal service of the Inn Keepers Judith and Kevin and their team. Nothing was impossible, even when I called late in the evening for some help with the fire place. The breakfast has been delicious, a wide variety of items and all fresh.
I think it is a relieve to be in such an individual place instead of a standarised factory liek hotel chain room. I definately look foward to come here again and will recommand this to my friends in Europe if they go and travel trough here.

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Amber House Inn of Midtown

Los Angeles
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Stayed at The Amber House recently on a biz trip. What a delight! As a single working woman in the hotel business, I really loved the cozy, welcoming atmosphere. The proprietors are delightfully warm and capable; breakfasts were terrific; staff very helpful with all my needs both business and personal; the jacuzzi tub was heavenly after a long day of work. I'm already planning a 'girlfriends get-away' at The Amber House for a friend's 40th. As someone in the hospitality industry and 'on the road' 2 wks a month, comfort and service are top prioities - the personized services and coziness of The Amber House just can't be duplicated at 'chain hotels' found in the US.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Amber Inn for two nights on a business trip for me. We enjoyed the inn, thought the innkeeper was informative but unintrusive, loved the breakfasts and slept well. However, this residence is old and therefore when cold or windy outside the windows rattle and it is somewhat drafty. The fireplace was a great answer to this and warmed the room fairly quickly. The jacuzzi tub is relaxing. The greatest negative is lack of closet space. Since this was a business trip, it was difficult for me to change into business clothes as there was virtually no closet space. Otherwise, the inn is a pleasant place to stay with plenty of restaurants within walking distance and located in an interesting neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sacramento, California
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We stayed in the Emily Dickson room. Room is very small. It would of been nice if the fireplace would of stayed on longer than five minutes. We checked in after midnight so we weren't able to get assistance with it and therefore had to do without and that was a real bummer. The room has no drapes so as soon as the sum comes up that whole room lights up. There's no shade anywhere unless you hide your head under the pillows which I did to get another hour of sleep. The breakfast wasn't anything special in fact all I ate was the sausage because I didn't like the rest of it. Actually, I didn't really know what the rest of it was - tortillas with sauce or something. The deep green rug has alot of stains. We paid almost $$$. Way overpriced for a room that was semi decent. We wont be returning.

Fireplace looks out on a heart-shaped Jacuzzi bathtub for two in a spectacular bathroom with skylights. The fireplace is also seen from the bedroom and is framed with an antique mantel. This light, bright, airy room with 22 etched glass windows around three walls are furnished with whitewashed wicker furniture.
Rate range: $189 - $269
stayed in the Elizather Room

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Vivaldi Room in the yellow house for one night last week, which we really enjoyed. Granted, we know the owners and think Judith & Kevin are top-notch people, but we really thought their inn and its service were excellent. The room had a beautiful four-poster bed, a franklin stove, a TV and *surprise* a stereo (hidden in an armoire) with built-in speakers for both the room and the bathroom. I'm a music nut and usually wish for a way to play music without the annoying sound of a clock-radio. You can tell they are used to business travelers, too, and provided guests with data ports and a power-strip. In addition to a stand-alone shower and whirlpool tub for two there was a great balcony that overlooked the back garden. (Didn't use it due to wet weather, however.) We didn't take advantage of massage specials given at a neighborhood spa, but we might next time!

Diana checked us in with tidbits of info and asked for our input on drinks to go with the complimentary fresh-baked chocolate cookies delivered in the evening as well as breakfast options. The breakfast -- yum! Loved the poppyseed dressing on the fresh fruit. The french toast with nuts were delish. We'd happily recommend the Amber House to anyone and hope to stay again!

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank cyndo68
Reviewed October 19, 2005

John and I stayed in the Emily Dickinson Room on September 22, 2005 for our Three Year Anniversary. The room was very clean, and the staff was warm and accommodating. The heart-shaped spa tub was not only romantic but very relaxing as well. Breakfast was so delicious that the two of us hardly spoke until we had finished eating it. The television was a plus. I really liked how it was hidden so that it didn't take away from the ambiance of the room. The whole experience has got me hooked on B&B's now!

• Stayed: September 2005
14  Thank Princess_NMS
Reviewed October 1, 2005

My husband and I feel rejuvenated, relaxed, and romanced thanks to the warm embrace of the Amber House and its staff. We especially appreciated the heartfelt caring by Judith, the owner, who greeted us upon arrival and wished us farewell when we left; Dianne, who like a caring sister, kindly informed us of local sights, events and appealing restaurants, all within a fun, treelined saunter of the House; and Garianne, the chef whose wafflels with fruit, nuts, and whipped cream, plus her baked pear in carmelized sauce make my mouth water even now!

We also especially loved the old fashioned mood of the elegant front porch: We loved sitting on the swing on the front porch, both day and night, looking out at the tree lined street with its proud, historic homes, and we savored our breakfasts all the more dining el fresco on the porch.

And the jaccuzi: Although I've been in some gorgeous bathrooms, the bathroom here in the Emily Dickenson Room was the most beautiful I've ever experienced. My husband and I bubblebathed in its heartshaped, underwater lit whirlpool, while the fireplace in the bathroom warmed us too, body and soul, and as we stargazed through the six skylights overhead. We felt soothed, satisfied and, even after just two days, ready to face the World.

• Stayed: September 2005