All reviewsbed and breakfastthe main housemozart roomjacuzzi tubb bsbreakfast was deliciouschocolate covered strawberriesquiet streetwithin walking distanceacross the streeteach morningnext morningwonderful stayhome away from homeoatmealbusiness tripfireplace
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We arrived at the inn wiped out from our wedding, and discovered that it was just the quiet, quaint place that we needed! We loved the see-through fireplace, the heart-shaped jacuzzi, and amazingly-comfortable bed... The next morning it was absolutely wonderful to wake up to a freshly-made breakfast not only delivered to our room, but set up at our table! Our family requested vegan food for us, and we were pleasantly surprised that that didn't deter them from creating a delicious meal of fresh fruit and apple-nut French toast. It was by far the best breakfast we had on our whole honeymoon! The service was great, very friendly and professional, and we were very reluctant to leave after only one night! We would love to return sometime...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovingTraveLivingToo
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This was my second stay at the Amber House and it couldn't have been better. From the warm welcome, luxurious bed and whirlpool bath to the gas fireplace, amazing breakfast and modern conveniences, this is by far the best bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at.
I had previously stayed in the Vivaldi room which has a 2 person jacuzzi tub, private balcony/patio, gas fireplace, flat screen tv, queen sized bed and free wireless internet. This stay was in the Dickinson room which also has a queen bed, heart shaped 2 person jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, flat screen tv and free wireless internet as well as beautiful skylights.
All rooms come with antique style furniture and bathrobes. The home made granola and scones in the morning with fresh fruit, juice and coffee were perfect. The staff was welcoming and felt like family.
The location is right near some little bistros and local eateries and in a quiet neighborhood.
You can't go wrong with a stay at the Amber House no matter if you're a business traveler like me, a couple (the rooms are very romantic) or a family.
I can't wait for my stay next month.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank koolchic_1
Reviewed December 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Amber House for two days after Thanksgiving to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We found it to be a feast for the senses.

Taste: We were greeted with a plate of 4 large chocolate chip cookies. More are delivered each evening around 7. Complimentary beverages are served discretely any time you want until 10 and first thing in the morning. Oh, and they serve breakfast. Scrumptious two course breakfast, either delivered to your room or downstairs. The advantage of having breakfast downstairs is that you get to see the people who serve you. They were friendly, smiling and helpful. I was unaware you can broil grapefruit. Turns out it's a great idea that mellows the acid. We were sufficiently full of eggs and potatoes on our first day that we missed lunch entirely. I enjoyed the next morning's soy french toast, in spite of the fact that I had as yet to enjoy any soy product.

Sight: The house is lovely. We live in the SF South Bay area: a lanced boil oozing the puss of endless poorly built tract homes. The Amber House couldn't be more different. A Craftsman style home from 1905, its full of interesting wooden furnishings, stained glass and trap doors. You can actually get under the eaves from our room. I'm convinced the person who kept bringing us tea vanished into the hall closet.

Touch: Not only are the furnishings lovely to look at, they are lovely to use. While eating breakfast I noticed that I was sitting with good posture. This never happens. I'm usually hunched, Igor style over the computer, a book, stationary or my food. But the chairs in our room seemed to make bad posture impossible. The Sitting room was great: for sitting. I could have spent all afternoon their reading (did I mention they have, get this, books in their library).

Sound: Of all the period furnishings in the house, my least favorite are the authentically single pane windows. They provide minimal insulation from noise or temperature. On the positive side, they do have a dock for your iPod, so you can drown out any noise coming in. (I'm not sure if this will effect other patrons or not)

Smell: Well, it smells nice. Neither overly scented nor musty. That's pretty impressive for a 100 year old house.

So go book your tickets already and drink it all in, especially the mangosteen green tea.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank afitting
Reviewed October 15, 2008

What a wonderful experience! My husband and I had business in Sacramento and since it was around the time of our anniversary we decided to stay in the Amber House. The room was beautiful and it was only 3 blocks away from my very favorite restaurant, Mulvaney's B&L! I sprung for the romance package and when we got back from dancing the tango at Tango By the River we found faux rose petals strewn extravagantly about the room, 6 beautiful chocolate covered strawberries, and a pretty nice bottle of champagne. Each room has a spa tub for 2 which is so welcome for tango dancers with tired feet (and anyone else, come to think of it!)

The breakfast the next morning was excellent, and it was so nice to get up and find coffee waiting at our doorway.

The Amber House is just about 10 blocks away from the Sacramento Convention Center, and you can bet that the next time I go to a conference there (that's every two years or so) I will opt for the Amber House and enjoy all the amenities the Big Name Hotels will never ever provide.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Celticats
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We satyed at Amber house for 3 nights and we loved it, we stayed in the Mozart room. Amber house actually is 2 houses on opposite sides of a quiet street. The personal service that you receive from the innkeepers is great and very genuine.
After staying in san francisco Sacramento is nice and flat for walking! We visited the old town which is a must and if you can get there for around Americas labor day then theres extra activities going on and shopkeepers dress in period costume.
We'd definately stay here again.
Ruth and Keith