All reviewsbed and breakfastthe main housemozart roomjacuzzi tubb bsbreakfast was deliciouschocolate covered strawberriesquiet streetwithin walking distanceacross the streeteach morningnext morningwonderful stayhome away from homeoatmealbusiness tripfireplace
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I planned a romantic night here for me and my boyfriend before he moved across the country for college. I wanted to create a really special and romantic memory for him to hold onto until the next time we'd see each other. Originally, I had planned on booking the Mozart room, but decided to go with the Vivaldi instead. I am so glad we did! The Vivaldi is on the second floor with a private balcony that overlooks the garden area. We spent most of our night outside relaxing and looking at the stars. We had the rose petal service, sparkling apple cider, chocolate covered strawberries, a couples' massage and the candlelit bath as well. The room was beautiful upon arrival and the chocolate covered strawberries and apple cider were both divine. The massage therapists arrived at 6:30 and set up in our room and then proceeded to give us a very relaxing hour long massage. When that was finished, my boyfriend and I walked down the street for dinner and when we arrived back, we were met with warm chocolate chip cookies & milk (SO GOOD) and our candlelit bath. Breakfast the next morning was delivered to our private balcony: scrambled eggs with cream cheese and sauteed onions, seasoned potatoes, and fresh fruit with poppy seed dressing. All delicious. Honestly, I couldn't have made this night any more special if I had tried. Be sure to read the entries in the journal (you can find it on one of the side tables) and write your own! Also, once you put on the super comfortable robe, you'll never take it off. We plan on coming back when he's on winter break and back in California. Thanks so much for the wonderful staff and amazing night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Katelynn S
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We just finished our stay at the Amber House and highly recommend it. First of all, the 2 houses that make up the inn are absolutely gorgeous and impeccably decorated. Not overdone, no chintz! Lovely big bathrooms, very comfy beds, the softest towels, sheets, and yummy bathrobes. So well located, we could walk to dozens of great bars and restaurants.
I'm particularly picky about cleanliness, and this place is spotless. We had one of the cheapest rooms, the Bach room, and still it was luxurious and perfect. Great a/c, which I appreciated because we were having 100 degree weathered and I hate the heat.
Free parking, free breakfast, cookies, free wi-fi -- I can't say enough about the Amber House.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TeresaEBethesda
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent a Thursday night here in July during a road trip up to Northern Tahoe, and overall had a really hot and cold experience. The good was great but the bad was pretty disappointing. Since it was such a well reviewed and somewhat pricy spot, I had higher expectations.

The good:
* The people who work here are extremely friendly, kind and good at what they do. Our check in experience was friendly, easy and informative, and our breakfast service was also carried out vary nicely.
* Location was great - walking distance to a lot of really great restaurants in the area.
* The beds, linens and bathroom were all were modern and superb. Soft sheets, great tub and shower, nice robes.

The OK:
* Breakfast: the coffee was great and I loved the extra touch of having it wait early outside our room, but the "2 course" breakfast was not special - just a honey covered cut open orange and nuts as a starter, and plum and syrup drenched french toast as a main with a side of bacon. All verrrry sweet. Fine but nothing noteworthy - had hoped for something a little tastier or perhaps more savory options.

The bad:
* Street noise: this was a huge problem for me late at night. We chose one of the nicer rooms with a patio, but what I didn't realize when selecting it was that it is on the first floor facing a somewhat busy street (mostly foot traffic). We were hoping to relax, but I was woken up at 2 AM and kept up until past 3 from the noisy groups of folks leaving nearby bars on foot or in cars blaring music. To be fair, I am a relatively light sleeper and my boyfriend did sleep without being woken up, but I would have killed for earplugs or a warning to book a room facing the back of the property.
* Privacy: as reviewers have noted this is an old house. While the bathroom felt modern the room and common area is more classic. We felt like we had to tip toe around a bit and speak quietly. Furniture was older and squeaky. While I loved the old school romantic feel to the house, it it was not romantic to worry about noise during the stay.

Overall, while I had a pleasant stay and truly appreciated the service we received, I personally wouldn't recommend this spot to friends per the reasons above. I think I could find a more private, better nights sleep and breakfast for a lower price somewhere else in Sacramento.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the street - mine did and was very noisy w/ people leaving the bars late at night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tory L
AmberHouseBB, Owner at Amber House Inn of Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

We regret that we were not able to meet this guest’s expectations for excellence. A superior guest experience is both personal and subjective and we endeavor to inquire about each guest’s preferences on arrival. Likewise, we are staffed 24/7 so that we can better meet most guest needs. As part of our great service, if we are not meeting your expectations for any reason, we implore you to let us know immediately so that we can do our best to correct the situation while you are still here.

While ours is typically a quieter street in our neighborhood, we are willing and available to abate any annoyances and disperse any crowds, even at 3 a.m. Should you be a light sleeper, we have eight rooms that are not at street level and we could provide earplugs if necessary. Should local-sourced orange, honey and walnuts not whet your appetite, then we could modify and often do at the guest’s request. Should vanilla french toast with sauteed plums, Saigon cinnamon and real Vermont maple syrup not be your taste, then we could offer more savory alternatives. Along with our great service, we receive the most compliments about sleeping quality and tasty breakfasts!

We appreciate that this guest took the time to provide her opinion on our Inn. We encourage any future guest to provide your personal preferences and immediate feedback so that we can more successfully meet and exceed your expectations during your stay. However, we believe, as do most other guests, that there is no more private, better nights sleep,and breakfast for a comparable price anywhere else in Sacramento. Please come and stay with us and we will make every effort to meet your expectations!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We chose the Amber House for for its location in Midtown Sacramento. It was within walking distance to the Geery Theater and several excellent restaurants so we could just park the car and in a few minutes walk to our destination. The house was a beautifully maintained craftsman style building with a comfortable decorating style that was a nice departure from the Victorian chintz look that many Bed and Breakfasts succumb to. Our room on the main floor, the Byron Room, was very attractive and clean. The staff were very helpful and the delicious french toast breakfast in the morning on the cool front porch was delightful with china, a white table cloth and fresh flowers. We will stay here again when we breeze into town.

Room Tip: AC noisy if you need to open a window in the ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gail S
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I can't say enough wonderful things about The Amber House. We stayed for three nights as we are in town for the French film festival. The Wasdworth room is fantastic, the staff are very attentive and friendly-thank you Stephanie, Carol, and all the other fabulous staff, the breakfasts
were yummy and the fresh chocolate chip cookies before bed were a nice homey touch. The neighbourhood the B&B is located in is also very nice. Close to the Capitol and old town Sac. Many restaurants and shopping opportunities nearby. If you are staying in Sacramento you would be crazy not to choose The Amber House.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple