Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
“Really nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

We flew in to visit with family and friends for a long weekend, and had a very nice stay. The hotel is conveniently located near lots of shops, restaurants and coffee houses. We were fortunate to be visiting over "2nd Saturday" a very fun Artsy type of event in mid-town with food, crafts, music and fun. Although it was a loud affair, our room was very soundproof.
This isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it's still very good. They have a self parking garage next door for $17. per night, no valet, however it's still off the street, and we felt safe leaving our car there.
The lobby was big with a fireplace, a bar and comfy seating. We used it each evening we were there as our own private family room for visiting with our family and friends, it was great!
The breakfast was pretty good, and the rooms were great. The bedroom area was a little small, but I never felt claustrophobic. A couple of times there were items that weren't restocked--shampoo once, and coffee once--which we had to ask for at the front desk. The hairdryer in the room quit one morning and within minutes they brought up another. I was impressed with the pleasant staff.
If I could change a few things about this hotel it would be--
valet for parking and for luggage,
free internet--yes, there is a charge!
and a safe in the room.
Other than that--it was perfect for us. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for business several times. The rooms are nicely set up for working, with a table and desk. The kitchenette is very convenient when staying for multiple nights. The reason I rated the sleeping and comfort lower than 4 stars is that the a/c unit blows air straight at the bed. If you turn it off the room gets very stuffy and you can hear noise from other floors. The breakfast buffet is average but included in the room. The food is the bar is good and service great. In fact all the staff are very nice and accomodating. The work out area is pretty small but the location across from the Capitol Park makes a good walking loop.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Lincoln, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

I'm a frequent traveler (90% travel job) and always try to stay with Marriott- I actually worked for Marriot for about 5yrs. I have had good, bad, and great hotel stays, but I have NEVER, EVER been treated as badly as I was this past weekend @ the Residence Inn, Sacramento, CA (Capital). I was traveling with a group of 5 women (ages 34+), we met at the hotel around 5pm to get ready & chat before leaving for dinner. After about an hour, we got a call from the front desk saying they had complaints about us being too loud and that one more and we would have to leave - all of this @ around 6pm!!! Being that there were many PROM kids there too, I went down to the front desk to show that we were an adult group of mature women and explain that perhaps there might be a misunderstanding. I was scolded in front of other guests (totally embarrassed!), told that I would not be warned again, and that the next call would be asking us to leave the hotel. I was shocked! Not only did I state on my reservation that we were having a group, I made sure to tell the front desk when I checked in so they could properly place us. Trying to resolve the issue, though, I suggested that they (the front desk staff) might try to look for another room that might be better suited for our group. We were moved around 8pm, and decided to just drop our stuff off and head out to dinner, as to avoid anymore issues. Literally as we walked out the door, the phone rang. It was the front desk calling and they said they already had complaints about us (HOW?!?!- we just got there) and that they were going to have to ask us to leave. I pleaded with the gal and explained that we were just dropping our bags off, were headed out to dinner, and would not be back until much later. As we left the crowded hotel lobby area, the front desk supervisor yelled out to our group further embarrassing us. I'm travelling again for work for the next 4wks, I had originally booked my hotel stays with Marriott. Based on my weekend experience I changed my reservations to Hyatt. This experience left me terribly disappointed with Marriott, embarrassed, insulted, and really dampened our (rare) night out. This trip suggested to me, even in this tough economy, Marriott doesn’t value its Customers, Customer Service training/coaching/mentoring, and does not have any loyalty to Marriott members.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank sdriggs
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I spent 1 night at this hotel and had a really nice stay. The location is very convinient to the Capitol and downtown restaurants - we had our pick of places within walking distance. The hotel itself is very nice. We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was fairly spacious and very well laid out. Everything was extremely clean. Breakfast is included in the room rate and was decent.

The only negative with this hotel was the parking. Parking is in a garage next to the hotel, but without direct access to the hotel itself, so a little inconvinient. Also, the temporary parking area right outside the lobby for guests checking in was small, so it was a bit tricky when several people were checking in at the same time. The staff recommends that guests move their luggage to their rooms before going to park the car, so that they don't have to haul anything from the parking garage. The parking was only a slight negative though.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Free low bandwidth internet in all the rooms - just have to remember to sign in every 24 hours. I really appreciated having a refrigerator and kitchen. Rooms are suites, very spacious, king size bed, full bath, living room area, dining table and desk. The hotel seems fairly new so everything was clean and shiny. My room was right behind the elevators but hardly any noise at all. Free breakfast w/ eggs, potatoes, 4 kinds of cereal, oatmeal, toast/biscuits, fruit, waffles, juice, coffee, etc. Breakfast was actually a lot nicer than what I expected. The gym was okay, 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 upright bike, 1 lay back bike, some free weights and another weight training machine. Right now the pool area is under construction. Most guests seem to be business related. I had two TVs - one in bedroom, one in living room. No problems w/ noise at all. I'd definitely go back. Also tried the restaurant, 3 Fires, has a bar and the food was quite good. Salad was fresh, but chicken wings were a bit spicy!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed at the Residence Inn-Capital Park in January. While the rain and high winds prevented me from doing too much walking, the hotel is conveniently located across from Capital Park and several nearby restaurants.

The room was an efficiency suite with a kitchenette, living room and king size bed. My room overlooked a parking lot and with the fan on, I did not hear a thing at night. The bed and sofa and chairs are separated by a console. A flat screen TV can rotate between the two areas. I thought that the room tried to squeeze too much furniture into a small space, therefore I think it would be a tight squeeze for more than two people. The bathroom area had a double sink vanity and closet with the shower/tub and toilet in a separate room. Everything was new and clean.

Breakfast was typical for Residence Inns, but good and convenient. There is a dining area and additional lounge spaces. Given the location, amentities and low rate, this hotel is a good deal.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

We were attending an event at the Convention Center which was the perfect parking and walking distance to the Center. My colleague booked a two room suite for us which was a great deal that offered us two very private king bedded rooms with our own private bathrooms. Our suite was more like a bachelorette apartment with its spacious living room and kitchenette which we did not use but it had everything you would need if you decided to cook your own meals. The bed was so comfortable that I slept like a baby--which I don't normally get when traveling. The value was great as we split the bill which was less than $145 each including parking and a continental buffett breakfast. The breakfast provided lost of choices including hot options and a waffle maker.

The only downside of our stay was that the Front Desk staff was not the most friendly and not very hospitable. We asked for directions to a local restaurant, and we were told by two hotel staffers that it was just around the corner...as if we knew where around the corner meant in the middle of downtown Sacramento. We requested a map and as it turned out the restaurant required a couple of turns and it was in the middle of the street NOT the corner. The staff needs to get some guidelines on how to provide directions to their local points of interests. The clerk who happened to be a young women, even assisted another male guest even though we had been waiting to get her attention! We did called her on it, and she was not pleased. This happened because she never made eye contact or acknowledge our being there...Rule #1 if you want to ignore your guests. With all this said, I would still come back but hope for friendlier staff!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business